WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thru hiked AT in '80 at age 6 mcw1882's Avatar
    Images

Question '05 Thru Hike Questions

Hello out there,

Well,, I had planned on trying to make the AT this year, but certain obligations to my business are going to prevent that...

But anyways, I plan on hiking the AT in '05, but thing is I want to do what I've heard affectionately called the "yo-yo".

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice out there on how to go about it.
    Consider me a new boot, since the last time I did a thru hike was in '80, (I was six years old and didn't have to worry about the logistical nightmare of such a joyous expedition).

I'm trying to think of the best time and location to start. I'd like to start in April between the 1st and the 5th. I also plan on starting at Harper's Ferry. Figure it would be nice to commemorate the 25th anniversary by starting off where I ended all those years ago...

Mike

Images

Default yoyo?

YOYO? MIke are you refering to a flip-flop? A flip flop would be as you suggest starting from HF going north to Katahdin and then going to Harpers Ferry and walking south to Springer or traveling to Springer and walking back to HF. A yo-yo is walking from one terminus to the other straight, then walking back to the originial terminus.
    I don't really understand logistically how you could yo-yo a flip flop?
    You'd need to go HF to Katahdin then springer to harpers or vice versa, then repeat. But any way you did this wouldn't really be classified officially as a YO-YO. If you are truly wishing to hike 2 thru-hikes best advice would be to start from Springer in April, altho I'd start earlier if I was going out. I'd have to assume this would take a minumum of 9 months, probably closer to 11. Whatever you decide, good luck
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    YOYO? MIke are you refering to a flip-flop? A flip flop would be as you suggest starting from HF going north to Katahdin and then going to Harpers Ferry and walking south to Springer or traveling to Springer and walking back to HF. A yo-yo is walking from one terminus to the other straight, then walking back to the originial terminus.
    I don't really understand logistically how you could yo-yo a flip flop?
    Well, I guess it would be a yo-yo flip flop. What I have planned to do was start in HF and go to Katahdin. Then from Katahdin to Springer, and back to end the hike in HF... My reasoning behind that is I don't want to chance being shut out from Katahdin...

Default Yo-Yo

I'd consider your plan a yo-yo. There's no jumping ahead and then jumping back.

But, with an early April start there should be ample time (about 6 months) to go from Springer to Katahdin before it closes for the weather in mid/late October.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    I'd consider your plan a yo-yo. There's no jumping ahead and then jumping back.

But, with an early April start there should be ample time (about 6 months) to go from Springer to Katahdin before it closes for the weather in mid/late October.
    Agree. I left May 1 from Springer and finished at Katahdin without rushing.

However, if a yo-yo is the objective then I'd be concerned that with an April 1 start date from Springer that you would have weather conditions in the Whites on the way south that you probably wouldn't want to experience.

Personally, I don't like "thru-hikes" that arn't terminus to terminus. But if locked into an early April start date and with a goal to yo-yo, then leaving from Harpers Ferry seems to make sense.

"Thru hiked AT in '80 at age 6"

To heck with the yoyo question - I want to hear about *this*!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Timing

Well, let's run the numbers.

Assume it takes 23 weeks for the "average" thru-hike. Let's split this 10 weeks to do south of Harper's Ferry and 13 weeks to do north of Harper's Ferry. Let's also allow 5 weeks for New Hampshire and Maine.

So, with an April 1 start at Springer, the "average" thru-hiker arrives at Katahdin about the first week of September. 5 weeks later, around mid-October, he is back in Hanover, maybe in time for the Gathering. So, should be do-able.

Likewise, starting at Harpers Ferry should also be very do-able.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    "Thru hiked AT in '80 at age 6"

To heck with the yoyo question - I want to hear about *this*!
    It was a wonderful experience... I'm not sure how strict they are about the forums here though, so if you want to hear more I can post here, or feel free to email/pm me...

I'm usually all to eager to spill my guts out for anyone who'll lend an ear, or some website space

Also I have uploaded some photos into the meber gallery, I believe if you do a search on my user name you'll be able to see them...

++ New Posts ++