WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Medical leave

Default Medical leave

Just letting sobo folks know that TomScanlan is at least temporarily off the trail. Made it to Pearisburg VA where I was stricken with pancreatitis caused by gall stones, and ruptured my gall bladder causing bile to leak into my abdomen and cause infection. Had to have some emergency surgery and have been off for about 2 weeks recovering. I thought it was food poisoning and toughed it out for 4 days before going to the hospital. The doc said I could have died... and I got an award for nastiest mess caused by ruptured gall bladder in the abdomen. In anycase, I still have some recovery time left... not quite ready to go hauling a pack around yet.

Haven't decided yet if I'll be getting back on to finish this year or if I'll be moving no to the next adventure. So... if I met you out there, say howdy and good luck if you're still walking. There's still a chance I'll catch back up to those who know me (though it's a slim chance .

formerly amazonwoman

I'm so glad that you're going to be ok! From Maine to VA is more than most folks will ever do. You have accomplished something huge if you never hike another step. Congrats! Good luck on all your future adventures!!
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Images

Glad to hear you're okay now. Best wishes for a speedy recuperation!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomScanlan View Post
    Just letting sobo folks know that TomScanlan is at least temporarily off the trail. Made it to Pearisburg VA where I was stricken with pancreatitis caused by gall stones, and ruptured my gall bladder causing bile to leak into my abdomen and cause infection. Had to have some emergency surgery and have been off for about 2 weeks recovering. I thought it was food poisoning and toughed it out for 4 days before going to the hospital. The doc said I could have died... and I got an award for nastiest mess caused by ruptured gall bladder in the abdomen. In anycase, I still have some recovery time left... not quite ready to go hauling a pack around yet.

Haven't decided yet if I'll be getting back on to finish this year or if I'll be moving no to the next adventure. So... if I met you out there, say howdy and good luck if you're still walking. There's still a chance I'll catch back up to those who know me (though it's a slim chance .

I know how you feel!! About 5 years ago I fell over at work with the same thing. I got lucky and didn't have my gall bladder rupture, but my organs were already going into overload. They said they were shutting down. VERY SCAREY!! I am glad you got help and you're on the mend. Do get plenty of rest for a little while. Let us know how you do!!
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 11-19-2007 at 08:27. Reason: fixed format error
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Glad to hear that you're OK.
    My wife and I shared a shelter with you one night in either northern MA or southern VT, I can't remember exactly where.
    Hey, did you ever learn to play the banjo?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino wraps a comforting tail around TomScanlan :::

Images

The doc said I could have died... and I got an award for nastiest mess caused by ruptured gall bladder in the abdomen. In anycase, I still have some recovery time left... not quite ready to go hauling a pack around yet.
    Wow, yet another notable backpacker odor!

Heal fast! Heal well!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, glad you're okay. Take care!!!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

You are lucky to be alive. My wife spent six months in the hospital with pancreatitis. It's a nasty disease with a high death rate. I wouldn't advise rushing back to the trail. Make sure you are totally recovered. A relapse is not a good thing to risk.

WEary

Hey there Tom,

I have spent most of this year recovering from a nasty case of Pancreatitis, so I know you aren't feeling well at all. I was on the trail as well when my case came to a head and I spent a month in a VA Hospital in Tennesee. Afterward, I didn't take care of myself and I kept trying to get right back on the trail, but I wouldn't last long because I couldn't eat enough to keep up my energy. As a result I have spent most of this year sitting on my azz and in doctor's offices. My point is, let yourself heal up good before you head back to the trail.......thats where I screwed up. Take care!

Just Jim

If you are who I think... it was probably ?MA. I think it was near Greylock. Does this sound familiar: I passed you on the trail; you going north, me going south. An hour later I show up at the shelter you were headed to. I made a wrong turn at the next peak south and came right back towards you. That night I made a bet with one of the trail workers that it wouldn't rain, and I lost. (I did try to pay him, but he was gone... left $1 taped in the register for him If that wasn't the night... more info is needed for me to pull on the right memory, but chances are I remember you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Glad to hear that you're OK.
    My wife and I shared a shelter with you one night in either northern MA or southern VT, I can't remember exactly where.
    Hey, did you ever learn to play the banjo?

Thanks for the support guys. As for those that have been around a similar situation; I'm feeling pretty good after the surgery, but I've got all sorts of other aches from favoring my abdomen. I keep feeling like I'm falling apart. It is embarrasing seeing people I know... wish they had seen me just before this problem showed up... back when I was going strong. Now I'm kind of gimpy. Overall I'm getting better, and am of the same mind as some of you "get better... don't rush it".

Images

ouch, glad you are okay.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

If you are who I think... it was probably ?MA. I think it was near Greylock. Does this sound familiar: I passed you on the trail; you going north, me going south. An hour later I show up at the shelter you were headed to. I made a wrong turn at the next peak south and came right back towards you. That night I made a bet with one of the trail workers that it wouldn't rain, and I lost. (I did try to pay him, but he was gone... left $1 taped in the register for him If that wasn't the night... more info is needed for me to pull on the right memory, but chances are I remember you guys.
    Yep, that was the place. You spent a little time playing your banjo and my wife had her tin whistle out, but didn't really play anything on it.

Images

Hey Tom-glad you got treatment before it got more serious. Now you'll have more time to practice the banjo.

Cracker Don

Images

dude, you're one lucky mofo. still no trailname i take it?
    MEGA'07'

++ New Posts ++