WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Old AT in the Smokies - Off trail adventure

I just got back last night from the expedition to find the old AT from Deals Gap to Parsons Bald. With me were HikerHead and Jim Lumpkin. Jim is the Benton MacKaye Trail maintenance director for the Smoky Mountains National Park section.

This was an off trail project I started just to see if the old trail was around there for my own adventure and to possibly suggest a re-location to get the BMT off a 3.5 mile road walk down US129/NC28 where it is fairly dangerous to walk especially during late Spring, Summer, and early Fall when the motorcyclists come out to race "The Tail of the Dragon". It turned into a serious reconnaissance for a re-location assessment using old roads and trails in the Smokies.

What we found is there are still 1.4 miles of old road that can be easily re-claimed and turned back into trail. The old quad maps of that area show a road from campsite 95 to Dalton Gap which is still there but needs some clearing. A couple of guys with cutting tools could open it in a day of work -EASY.

The next section where it becomes old AT in Dalton gap was a little trickier. We walked about 0.7 miles on old AT that was easy to find up to Dalton Ridge. With expectations it was going to be that easy for the rest of the trip we took a break in high spirits. Unfortunately our spirits were soon dashed as we found the old AT when down into an area where multiple streams met and the old trail was basically gone from erosion and growth of laurel, rhododendrons, greenbrier, and other plants. At the end of the day we had walked around in circles for hours and not found any more trail sign. We decided to turn around late in the day and didn't make it back to camp until after dark. We looked like we had been wrestling bobcats. Luckily HikerHead had brought real bacon to add to dinner.

The second day we decided that if the trail were to be re-opened it would need a re-route to somewhere that made sense. So we went back out to Dalton Gap and climbed the hill up to Slow Knob which is a 1100' elevation gain in about 0.1 mile - something that would need switchbacks to make it hikeable. Then we proceeded to ridge walk on an easy route until we found the old AT again on the ridge. If this were re-opened with this relocation, about 1.8 miles of old AT would be re-routed to keep it up out of the wetlands and move it to ridge. We then followed the old AT (loosing the trail for a short time and having another cross country adventure) until we reached power lines for the TVA. After a rough crossing of first growth briers and such under the power lines - it was an easy walk down to the road and US129.

Now Jim has a plot for a possible re-location to work with the GSMNP folks so we can take the BMT off that dangerous road. It would probably take a few guys a long weekend of hard work to do some of the labor required, but I expect the Park Service will probably give it some consideration since opening a little trail (about 4.3 miles total) is probably more desirable than having a hiker killed by a motorcycle or car on the Dragon.

We never did do the old AT from Dalton Gap to Parsons bald - that is something I'll have to do some other time. Big thanks to HikerHead for helping out - and especially for the bacon.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 11-19-2007 at 09:07.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

give me enough advance warning and I can probably wrangle a week to participate in something like this. I suspect that the real challenge will be getting the necessary permits.

Images

That's pretty cool to be able to scout out a re-location for the BMT. Keep us posted on any plans to make it happen. I'd be happy to make the trip to give a hand. With enough notice, I could probably make a long weekend out of it.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    give me enough advance warning and I can probably wrangle a week to participate in something like this. I suspect that the real challenge will be getting the necessary permits.
    Yes I think you are right. The advantage we have is Jim has been a trail maintainer on Smoky Mountain trail maintenance crews (the Park Service crews, not the hiking club crews) and has worked for the guy that is the GSMNP "Back-country Expert". He has experience with the Park service with re-location of trails and trail maintenance - so he has experience on how to approach this subject with them.

There was actually a recon done a while back, but whoever was with the BMT that did it declared the old AT unrecoverable after only a short look. We spent days looking at it and have a good idea exactly how to do it. I hope (although hope is not a method of success) that during the next year we can show George (the park service guy) where we want to go and how we want to do it so it goes through that end more easily. I expect nothing will happen with this until probably next Fall at the earliest. When it does happen though - I plan to put out a call for volunteers. If I can get about 5 good guys willing to work this project - I expect we can have it completed and usable in about 3 days. I hope that we can get twice that though and make it a good experience for the "Easy Company Trail Crew" with a camp minder making chow and base camps for ease of work up in the back country.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

'Kay, this is a "me too" post. That joker that runs Easy Company works ya like a dog but it's a good time anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    That's pretty cool to be able to scout out a re-location for the BMT. Keep us posted on any plans to make it happen. I'd be happy to make the trip to give a hand. With enough notice, I could probably make a long weekend out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    'Kay, this is a "me too" post. That joker that runs Easy Company works ya like a dog but it's a good time anyway.
    Oh you guys have an early invite. I figure with Two Speed, Ed Bell, Generoll, Jim, HikerHead (maybe) my oldest boy, myself, and a couple of others we can do this up right. Hopefully I could convince my wife and a couple of others to be camp minders for us and we could come back to hot food every night pack up from Twentymile Ranger station. What would be really good is if we could find a horse camper type since there is horse trail up to campsite 95 who would be willing to help us pack in tools and supplies.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

One minor hurdle I would see is having a self checkin station like currently exists at Twenty Mile. How is that handled for SOBOs at Davenport Gap?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    So we went back out to Dalton Gap and climbed the hill up to Slow Knob which is a 1100' elevation gain in about 0.1 mile...

Dang! That'd make Mahoosuc Arm look like the C&O Canal. I think you wanted the decimal point one place to the right.

On a serious note, I wish you well with this very worthy project.

El Sordo
    Images

Not to pick at too many nits, but I really do need advanced notice for actual dates. At my work it's like a feeding frenzy when the new vacation schedule comes out. I'm on call 50%+ of the weekends every year. I really do need a specific date to be sure I have the time. I have a week in October right now, so if that's when you're thinking let me know.

Images

One minor hurdle I would see is having a self checkin station like currently exists at Twenty Mile. How is that handled for SOBOs at Davenport Gap?
    That is something we will have to work - but I think we can do it. Currently there is one at 20 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Dang! That'd make Mahoosuc Arm look like the C&O Canal. I think you wanted the decimal point one place to the right.

On a serious note, I wish you well with this very worthy project.
    Thanks. I planned adding a series of switchbacks to get up there. That climb would be one of the hardest parts of this re-location, a lot of the other places is either brush cutting an easy ridge walk or clearing old trail that is recoverable.

Not to pick at too many nits, but I really do need advanced notice for actual dates. At my work it's like a feeding frenzy when the new vacation schedule comes out. I'm on call 50%+ of the weekends every year. I really do need a specific date to be sure I have the time. I have a week in October right now, so if that's when you're thinking let me know.
    I will definitely be working on this. I hope to enlist the help of local folks, like Frolicking Dinosaurs to help me organize the schedule and logistics when and if this does get approved.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Sgt. Rock,

Please keep us informed. Right now, I plan to be relocated to either Maryville or Townsend by the end of June. I've logged about 400 hours of trail-building with the Cumberland Trail Conference since 2000, so I have plenty of experience as well, and I've hiked the original 93 miles of the BMT already. I intend to thru-hike south this spring. And I'd enjoy the chance to help make the BMT better.

Bearpaw

Images

Good to have you around the area. We live closer to Walland than to Maryville.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'll send you a PM to ask for more non-trail stuff. I'm just looking forward to being where I can work on both the Cumberland Trail AND the AT/BMT corridor.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    ...... Hopefully I could convince my wife and a couple of others to be camp minders for us and we could come back to hot food every night pack up from Twentymile Ranger station. What would be really good is if we could find a horse camper type since there is horse trail up to campsite 95 who would be willing to help us pack in tools and supplies.
    Are you thinking about a Dino helping Dixie

I know some horse people in our area - I'll see what I can do about getting someone to help - the problem will be bring horse trailers across the Dragon -- it would be better if someone knows some horse campers from the NC side.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Are you thinking about a Dino helping Dixie

I know some horse people in our area - I'll see what I can do about getting someone to help - the problem will be bring horse trailers across the Dragon -- it would be better if someone knows some horse campers from the NC side.
    I did think of you. Dixie doesn't have experience feeding a hungry mob like you do with the Scouts. I was hoping you would hopefully know someone in the area that knows or has horses that could help if we get this thing off the ground.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

That was a good time Rock beating around in the woods with you and Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out with the GSMNP people and wishing for some clear minds to look at what is placed on the table. I'll practice up on my harmonica for the next time. Oh, I found the Ryans Steak house across from the Cracker Barrel in Marysville, they had to raise their prices a little today.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Count me in! I'd love to see other trails in this section, as well as help in blazing new ones.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Rock, I checked with the people I know -- they said taking horses over the Dragon in trailers was a really bad idea - that the horse would get bruised up They made a good suggestion - check with an equestrian club in the closest city and see if they know someone who would like to help. Robbinsville is probably the closest city

Hey Sgt Rock, I thought the old AT crossing at Deals Gap goes across 129 into what now seems like private land and not Park land. There is an old logging road with yellow keep out signs, etc, so maybe the old AT never crossed here?

BTW, I made it up to Beech Gap and the Bob that Tuesday morning(Nov 13)for a 7 day backpacking trip and I had hoped to run into you up thar on the high ground. Missed ye but I think I saw you driving out on the Skyway on my drive in.

Images

Well we came out about 0.2 miles up that private road. But it could be re-routed down the other site of that property line - the entire north side of that private road is park and the far side of 129 is park.

I say re-route, but really, the old AT sort of disappeared under those power lines and we just walked down a draw for that last 0.1 miles to the road because we could see it. I'm not sure exactly what route the AT took for that last 0.1-0.3 miles because it was gone as best as I could tell. IMO you could route it anywhere you want in that section and probably be "right".
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++