WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Philadelphia Area Hikers

Philadelphia area Hiking trips. Day. Overnite. Any Taker.
    Wissahickon, SNJ Pines, Other suggested trips.
    Please include date and time If you are ready, willing, and able.

PLEASE post if you are interested in doing a day or overnite somewhere in the area, and not if you want to share your thoughts on the subject. This Thread is for interested parties ONLY.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Just contact MWeinstone Johnny Thunder, CamoJack or Panzer1
    They are a crazy crowd, but devoted hikers

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

id be interested. any weekend or weekday with notice. need to try out gear

Diddo. I'd be in to test out some new gear (my winter gear is a bit lacking though). I'm right in center city. There are two state parks resonably accessable by regionrail if you don't have a car. I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head, but I'll check and feed back tomorrow.
    You can't scare me. I work with Cub Scouts

OOOO! i'd be interested. I'm in Montgomery County. Have always been interested in the Batona Trail and maybe tracking the Jersey Devil! I'm kinda out of commission for overnights until March, though. Some minor health stuff and major work scheduling issues. I could manage to schedule day stuff with enough notice, tho.

LOL and I just love this: You can't scare me. I work with Cub Scouts

I'm a Cubmaster and an Assistant Scoutmaster, so I know what you mean!

Images

Maybe I could hook up for an after xmas day hike. I'll be back in West Chester for a few days. Anyone intrested in Jim Thorpe area. Switchback trail or Glen Onoko?

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...

Images

i have done the batona, nice this time of year. wilderness sites. very very empty now

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    Maybe I could hook up for an after xmas day hike. I'll be back in West Chester for a few days. Anyone intrested in Jim Thorpe area. Switchback trail or Glen Onoko?
    "Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in!"

Images

It's pretty funny that I live about 25 minutes from the Batona trail and haven't done it yet. Mostly I've been going between Rt309 and just past the DWG. I'm waiting for a nice snowday to go to the Superfund site. Last year I went up to the Pinnacle the day after Xmas, and there was quite a bit of people up there.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Happy Thanksgiving Wonder

I went up to Glen Onoko for the first time two weeks ago. Pretty nice spot. The waterfalls were beautiful and my buddy said they were really running heavy. I guess we were lucky. the only problem was I got really really sick the next day. The downhill hike was interesting, as sticking to the exact path is not that easy.

peace
    mf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving Wonder

I went up to Glen Onoko for the first time two weeks ago. Pretty nice spot. The waterfalls were beautiful and my buddy said they were really running heavy. I guess we were lucky. the only problem was I got really really sick the next day. The downhill hike was interesting, as sticking to the exact path is not that easy.

peace
    mf
    It you go up the path above the falls, there is a trail split. If you continue to the right, there is an old "stage coach" trail that wraps you back down to the first section of tiers trail......right at the river. If you contine to the right, it's a very long trail that follows the ridge almost the entire lenght of the lehigh gorge trail.
    Tooks me years to find the other path......I'll be sure to show you!

Images

I'm good for a winter overnighter in PA or the pines. Old Loggers Path anyone??

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Hey! I resemble that.

I'm generally up for day hikes on the weekend, especially along the Wissahickon; that's one o' my favorite places in the continental U.S.

I used to hike the Glen every weekend , I was a river guide on the Lehigh for several years. The trails up there have really eroded in the past three or four years, and alternate, muddy trails have evolved. If you are on the "main" trail up towards the fourth "fall" there is a stone stairway on your right, one by one the stones are falling down the mtn., and the trail was rerouted away from there just for safety's sake. Plenty of rattlesnakes in the warmer months as well, be careful if you take a dog with you!

When you first get on trail while it is still level after the first uphill from the parking lot, there is a sweet overhang to sleep under

Doing the Glen, and then driving over to Palmerton to do the Gap, or up to Blue Mtn. where the AT crosses the road - and then hike out to the Palmerton Gap is a good one as well, lots of views up on the ridge. Ugly underfoot for much of the way, but nice views nonetheless.

Have a great hike in PA!
    Last edited by Smile; 11-21-2007 at 23:51.
    ad astra per aspera

Happy Thanksgiving to all Philly Hikerz and WB'ers

Planning to do a day hike( Saturday )either from the resovoir parking lot to the Pinnacle or from Eckville north and then around to the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. This is our annual " Dads Memorial Hike" but all are welcome!

Hey Wonder---Go easy on the Bird!!!!!!!!!! LB

Images

Aw man....now I REALLY have to get to JT over the holiday. I may live in the trail town.....but man I miss my home trails. Glen Onoko is no walk in the park either!

The Glen is a great place to get in shape for a hike on the AT. Load up a pack and do the loop five times in a row, you'll feel it
    ad astra per aspera

I did Batona about two months ago. It was a bit overgrown in some of the northern sections. Also be aware that campsites are spaced irregularly and take full advantage of any water sources.

Im at Drexel so if anyone wants to meet up let me know. Im thinking about doing the black forest trail sometime in decemeber.

Images

My normal holiday rambles are either the Pinnacle from Eckville or either side of the Lehigh Gap. Depends on the wind - Some year the Palmerton side and other years the south side to the Palmerton overlook (Devil's Pulpit?). Maybe I will check out Glen Onoko this year instead. we have been walking the streets of JT for several weekends with the new baby, but I would like to get away with my 7 year old and do something more strenuous
    Last edited by Toolshed; 11-24-2007 at 10:38.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Would not really suggest Glen Onoko for a child until you check it out.....there are some tricky parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++