Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tell me about this Florida Trail...

So, I've been looking into thru hiking the Florida Trail nobo starting on New Year's Day. Since info is not as easy to come by as the AT, I figure this was the place to get it! Couple of questions that come to mind:
    1) What is the linear 1,400 thru route? All sources seems to mention it but the online maps are very general and the trail seems to split and reconverge a couple of times.
    2) Any big differences in gear from an AT thru hike? (FYI - I'm a hammock camper)
    3) Any other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BigCat; 11-19-2007 at 21:50. Reason: 'pearls' NOT 'pears' of wisdom ;-)
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

go to floridatrail.com

Images

this might work better than the #2 suggestion... (sorry solo!)

http://www.floridatrail.org/web/index.php
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
    So, I've been looking into thru hiking the Florida Trail nobo starting on New Year's Day. Since info is not as easy to come by as the AT, I figure this was the place to get it! Couple of questions that come to mind:
    1) What is the linear 1,400 thru route? All sources seems to mention it but the online maps are very general and the trail seems to split and reconverge a couple of times.
    2) Any big differences in gear from an AT thru hike? (FYI - I'm a hammock camper)
    3) Any other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks!
    Hammock Camping is great on the FT. Down south you may occasionally have to use your tarp and hang from your trekking poles but not often.

All other gear is really the same as the AT.

New Year is a good start time and you may even run onto a few others. The Swamp at the south terminus is a bot wet but after a few interesting days it is but a memory of a unique adventure.

There are 3 decision points on the FT. You choose which direction you wish to take around Lake Okeechobee and then again when you get to the central section. Up in the panhandle you decide if you want to continue west to Ft Pickens or up to the AL state line. Whichever way you choose is up to you. You do NOT have to do both sides to complete the hike.

I am the Chairperson for the Long Distance Hikers Committee. Let me know if you will be providing an online journal so I can track you. Make sure you contact the FTA Office and get a "thru-hiker" packet. There are a few forms that need to be filled out to get across the Indian reservation in the south and the AFB in the Panhandle.

I also, have a hiker hostel if you need a day off, up near Gold Head State Park.

Enjoy, Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

HH, exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!! I'll be sure to contact the office to get my packet.

Solo and Cuffs, I did look at floridatrail.org but it really is a mass of information and I had some trouble finding answers to my questions.

Oh, that reminds me: Hammock Hanger is the FLORIDA TRAIL DATA BOOK still for sale? The link to the store is broken: http://www.ftstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=96

aka Mokay
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post

I am the Chairperson for the Long Distance Hikers Committee.
    Enjoy, Sue/HH
    Hey Sue, sorry you had to miss the gathering. I was looking forwrd to grilling you on who else is out on the trail right now. I know Brian (T-Back) and Paul are both off temporarily. Ian and I are almost done with the East Corridor and expect to start off from Rodman around 12/11 heading north and west. Do you know of anyone else out there we might bump into?
    HUGS - J

It's hot, flat, and has tons of mosiquitos.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jnetx View Post
    Hey Sue, sorry you had to miss the gathering. I was looking forwrd to grilling you on who else is out on the trail right now. I know Brian (T-Back) and Paul are both off temporarily. Ian and I are almost done with the East Corridor and expect to start off from Rodman around 12/11 heading north and west. Do you know of anyone else out there we might bump into?
    No one else is on my radar at this time. Sorry I missed seeing you all ..
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

HH, exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!! I'll be sure to contact the office to get my packet.

Solo and Cuffs, I did look at floridatrail.org but it really is a mass of information and I had some trouble finding answers to my questions.

Oh, that reminds me: Hammock Hanger is the FLORIDA TRAIL DATA BOOK still for sale? The link to the store is broken: http://www.ftstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=96
    the data book is still for sale, don't know why the store site was not working, it is now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    It's hot, flat, and has tons of mosiquitos.
    It is not always hot -- there were nights in the 20's and I froze my behind off.

It is not completely flat once you turn west into the Panhandle.

Winter months the squeeters are not that bad.

You will travel through more Ecosystems then on any other trail.

I know it's not that bad. I've lived in Florida for 17 years and have seen a good amount of it. It's great if you've never been. There really is alot of cool stuff to see. I'm just no longer a fan.

If I start in Jan, what bag should I take? 15 degree? (cooler in a hammock)

"Sure....why not!!"

Snarf when you get to the Ocala section give me a shout. If I can I will help you out with resupply, dinner, and laundry. Let us know if you will be posting a journal.

Bluegill

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

You should get a Trail Angels list in the FTA thruhiker packet. I'm on it too, and will be glad to help from Aucilla River to Apalachicola River if you need it. ~~ eArThworm

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

Hey, FWIW I just noticed on Trailjournals that Skeemer's planning on hiking the Fla. Trail again, starting at the southern terminus around the second week in January of '08. Check it out at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6572 .

So, I've been looking into thru hiking the Florida Trail nobo starting on New Year's Day. Since info is not as easy to come by as the AT, I figure this was the place to get it!
    I was in Big Cypress 2 weeks ago. The trail head on Loop Road was a watery depth of 4" of sweet-smelling swamp. The ranger at Oasis Station said a recently discharged Army guy had done the Loop Rd.-to-Oasis section in 5 hours. Pretty good time for muddy terrain. Rangers say the average is 1 m.p.h. (Florida Trail Data Book calls it a 7.8 mile section, Big Cypress National Preserve map calls it 8.3 miles.)

Trail logistics: There are two ways to access the southern terminus of the Florida Trail on Loop Road (also called County Road 94.) One is at US 41 & Monroe Station, an extremely rutted road prone to washouts. The other is at US 41 near Tamiami Ranger Station & the Miccosukee Cultural Center, half of which is asphalt pavement in fine shape. Take your pick.

I recently visited sites from Lake Okeechobee southward to Loop Road. Ask away if you’re interested.

Great info, gang! I really appreciate it.

Images

If I start in Jan, what bag should I take? 15 degree? (cooler in a hammock)
    I got by with my down 20 but occasionally had to drop to the ground. When you get up in the Panhandle make sure you have a cold barrier for your hammock it can get pretty cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I got by with my down 20 but occasionally had to drop to the ground. When you get up in the Panhandle make sure you have a cold barrier for your hammock it can get pretty cold.
    okie doak, i have a marmot sawtooth 15 that should get me by then. even on the coldest nights on the AT it kept me warm enough that i usually couldn't even zip all the way up.

I have been told the southern end of the trail(Seminole Res.) has been closed for Jan. because a permit was not issused. You may want to check with the FTA office for an update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++