WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Snows a comin!!!

Exactly 1 year after the first snowfall of winter 02/03 to the day ,its suposed to start tonite and a second system is suposed to come through tommorow or saturday I think and keep it snowing through saturday night!! I just hope its all snow!! Might be some sleet and maybe freezing rain.The Maryland section of the AT aught to get a nice dumping since western MD usually gets it the hardest! Wish I could make it to the trail this weekend!! If you go better pack your LJs!!! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

It's coming your way. We have about 5inches on the ground now.

A friend of mine in Boone, NC says they had about six inches this morning. I bet Maryland will get it worse, but they are forecasting 6-10 inches here in NJ.

Great weekend to get out if you don't mind the hunting.

Default According to one forecast

We might see up to a foot here in CT. Depends on how this one moves. One projection has it stalling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    We might see up to a foot here in CT. Depends on how this one moves. One projection has it stalling.
    The first may stall but they say there is a second storm that they are expecting to dump at least a few more inches. Its 8:46pm and it hasnt hit us here in the Baltimore region yet. Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

2.17% and counting
    Images

Default Where's my snow?

Here in Greenbelt, MD it looks like we had an inch over night at the most... and that was melted by rain this morning. However one of my co-workers called in this morning from Ellicott City and said he just shoveled 6-8 inches of snow off of his drive way. Ellicott City is less than 30 miles from here. Needless to say, conditions vary widely.

Images

oops i shold look before i start a thread. well like i said 8 inches in clingsman dome. gonna be quite a few in NY and already some in NJ. Bet the whites will be looking their name pretty soon.
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Dog
    Bet the whites will be looking their name pretty soon.
    They do already. Check it out. http://www.mountwashington.org/cam/index.php

Images

However one of my co-workers called in this morning from Ellicott City and said he just shoveled 6-8 inches of snow off of his drive way.

Im about 4 miles from Ellicott City and we have about 6 inches on the ground now ,I think we are suposed to get more tommorow. I think it was westminster that got 9-10 inches this morning. Guess Ill do a day hike down Patapsco SP tommorow,maybe do some fishing! Streamweaver

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

I'm in Western Massachusetts, and we're supposed to get a foot plus this weekend. I planned on doing an over-night ridge hike on the AT from Rt2 to the Summit of Greylock, but the roads in Western Mass get real bad during storms, and often the highway through the Berkshires gets shutdown. So I may go to the M&M trail as access is much better.

Woo-Hoo! Snowshoe season is arriving!!!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

streamweaver

got an extra 4 or so inches on top of the 5 inches dropped yesterday..... Probably not as much as the Ellicot CIty area as the heaviest stuff was to the west of Towson... happy hiking in Patapsco....I'm planning to head up to the Gunpowder near Hereford on Sunday......

2.17% and counting
    Images

We finally got our snow in Greenbelt. About 4 or 5 inches overnight. Reminds me of home (Michigan) and going to school at Michigan Tech where we would regularly get over 200 inches of snow per winter season.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Boy the snow is certainly falling here in Central/Western Mass!

I went over to Mt. Grace and Snow-Shoed 8 miles on the trails there. Boy was I beat after breaking trail for that long! I planned on staying overnight, and was even lugging my full pack, but I finished up that 8 miles around 2pm, and didn't feel like waiting around. So I find myself in my comfy home spending some time on WhiteBlaze

Snow is still falling by the way...
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Old News

Been snowing out here in Wyoming for over a month ...
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

[QUOTE=Footslogger]Been snowing out here in Wyoming for over a month ...[/QUOTE

LOL A month of snow would shut this whole entire state down till next December!!! They close schools down the night before just on a rumor of flurries!! We got about a foot all told. It turned out to be nicer snow than I thought it would considering it started out as rain and sleet. I did a local day hike today but I got a late start and the snow ended shortly after I left home. It turned out to be a nice sunny day though I was hoping for more snow!!!! Remember when the return of the robins was a sure sign of spring?? not anymore!! They dont even leave ,they just flock up and stay all year just like the cardinals. I guess they have adapted to the temps here.Or maybe they know as well as anybody that it will warm up again in a few days(sposed to be 55 degrees Wed or Thur!) Oh and by the way, heres a Good tip for using an Alcohol stove in the winter, Its a good thing NOT to spill your hot cocoa into your stove!!! BUT if you want a quick way to extinguish said stove ,It sho did the trick for me!!!! LOL Streamweaver

No snow here on the outer banks but the cold weather has brought the stripers inshore where us surf casters can get at em. Girl I know caught a 45 inch 32 pounder.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Angry snow in VA.

I tried to hike out of Catawba near Roanoke on Sat. morning but there was too much snow on the trail.I went about a mile north befor I changed my mind and turned around and slipped slid all the way back down.

Registered Troll
    Images

Went to the Smokies Friday, and it started snowing by the time I reached the AT in the afternoon. Stayed at Cosby Knob Shelter Friday night, and the snow was blowing pretty good. Hiked a portion of the AT southbound the next day, and the snow was everywhere. But not too deep on the trail to impede hiking.

The snow was beautiful. To someone like me who lives in an area where there is no snow during the winter, it was stunning. Words do not describe how magical it felt to be up there. I definitely plan to go back a few more times this winter when it snows again.

BTW -- a southbounder from Connecticut who goes by John Galth (sp?)(a fictional character in the book Atlas Shrugged) stayed at Cosby Knob that night, and expects to reach Springer by Dec. 20. In the shelter register, a couple other southbound thrus were there a couple days before, Jessica and BS. BS left a piece of an earworm which I thought appropriate for the snowy season up there: "When Quinn the eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna jump for joy."
    Last edited by steve hiker; 12-09-2003 at 00:34.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Fox

went out sat. to 10-mile shelter in new milford, conn. sat p.m.: maybe 3-5" on exposed portions of trail, dusting+ elsewhere. snow stopped soon after sun-up. snow spirits (whirlwinds) were busy all morning. sunday: 6-10 on sheltered trail, 12-18 on exposed, drifting up to about 24. all-around nice time.

johnny. one step at a time
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

maine mountains got 44+ inches of snow!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++