WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: damn deer

Default damn deer

heard something outside my house around 2 AM. grabbed my piece and snuck out the back door and there stood a 6 point buck. he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe

Images

Say goodbye to the landscaping.

Cheap entertainment watching them slobber over apples.

Lone Wolf-"he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe"
    Is that another euphemism for what some call the Texas two step?

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

The bear got my garbage cans again last night. Need to take a walk around the yard to see how much I can find.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Weather here in SW Virginia is all that a deer hunter could ask for--at least it was early this morning, and it'll probably stay that way again tonight. I see the pickups pass by. There drivers, mostly big, heavy men in their 40s, aren't dressed for feeding cattle. They are covered in camoflage with a touch of blaze orange about the neck. Then I hear the shots in the forest all around me. It is not a choice day for hiking, just hunting. Don't cha wonder if those deer were seeking sanctuary, having no idea whose back yard they had invaded?--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Funny you should mention deer ...cuz we almost had one in the front seat with us yesterday. Driving along at about 60mph and a buck (happened to fast to count antler points) leaped out from a ditch along side the interstate and landed on the road surface about 50 feet or so in front of the car. At our speed and the icey road conditions, about all we could do was let off the gas and hope for the best. It was daylight so it wasn't a "deer in the headlights" scenario. Mr Dear wisely bounded immediatley and finished crossing into the median. Fortunately we were the only car on the road at that point. Needless to say, heart rates were elevated (ours and the deer's, no doubt).

Beautiful up here in Helena though today. Might head up into the Bob Marshall Wilderness later today for a little snow shoeing.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Damn skunk! Went outside last week in the middle of the night to find one interested in my cat. After the cat got sprayed twice in the last 2 months, he wasn't nearly as interested as the skunk was. My cat was sitting in the rocking chair on the porch warily eying the polecat as it scurried away.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Pepe LePeux!

My son and I tried to thin the deer out some this AM. No luck yet.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    heard something outside my house around 2 AM. grabbed my piece and snuck out the back door and there stood a 6 point buck. he snorted and ran to the neighbors yard where he joined a doe
    You sure it wasn't Larry with one of those antler stocking caps on?
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Images

My problem has been possums. They've ripped up my screen porch to get to the catfood that hasn't been there for 4 months cause the cat died! I've washed the porch down three times.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Pepe LePeux!

I tried yesterday and only saw one doe. It was so windy I had to rely on the ones I saw as opposed to heard...

tideblazer
    Images

i see deer all the time here at the farm. Our bamboo post deer fence worked wonders this growing season. We used a thin plastic green rollout fencing around the perimeter.

I've considered getting a bow recently. But I always told myself my first deer kill would be from a bow I made. Then there's the vegetarian roommate/landlord. hmmmm..... the fence will have to hold up for now.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

And it ain't lookin at ya from over the fire place.....maybe along with the neibores dog / cat.....

I've seen more deer at my mom's house, which is only 5 miles from D.C.(Oxon Hill, Md), than I've ever seen on the AT. Seriously, everytime I walk down the street I see deer; one time I saw a pack of six crossing the street.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Pepe LePeux!

Had fun though?
    Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I've seen more deer at my mom's house, which is only 5 miles from D.C.(Oxon Hill, Md), than I've ever seen on the AT. Seriously, everytime I walk down the street I see deer; one time I saw a pack of six crossing the street.
    Suburban buffet. Around here it's coyotes and cats, as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Had fun though?
    You know it!

Just got back from the evening hunt. Been tellin' lies, talking about tomorrow and eating T Day leftovers.

The full moon is beautiful but it plays havoc with patterning deer.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Bucks are always bigger in the neighbors yard
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Ever heard the "sity poin buck?" Upper Midwest accent. Plays on the radio around here yearly.

Images

I just came in from my first evening hunt of the seaon... saw several small does, but nothing worth taking. Back at it again in the morning!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I just came in from my first evening hunt of the seaon... saw several small does, but nothing worth taking. Back at it again in the morning!
    We've got either sex days in GA this weekend. Looking to fill the freezer with some left over for SORUCK. Maybe some Summer sausage!
    Skids

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++