WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default What was the BEST trail meal you ever made?

In response to Kerosene's Worst Poll, what was the BEST on the trail meal you ever had/made?
    Same rules: not freeze dried, unless you altered it dramaticly. And probably "trail angel meals" shouldn't count.

Mine was on the last night of this year's section hike. I had 3 cheese Rotini (Lipton I think) 2 packs of cheese flavored grits and a pack of starkist Tuna & about 1 Oz Olive oil. I made a "tuna casserole" by mixing it all together. It turned out to be (Nearly so) the best meal I have ever had, on or off the trail. Dessert was a Reeces fast break candy bar. All washed down with orange flavored Gatorade.

Doctari

Images

My best trail meal was 2 rainbow trout I had caught that day with stove top stuffing(chiken flavor lol) and baked beans. Desert was butterscotch pudding complete with skeeter topping! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Default chicken pot pie

did up a lipton noodle side (alfredo i think) added a foil pouch of cooked chicken, whenit was done thickened with 3 or 4 tablespoons of instant potato buds. taste was very much like grammy's pot pie. kid's have even started requesting it at home. I like it best with a lot of black pepper.
    SEMPER PARATUS

On a winter hike near Mt Rogers I brought along heavy cream and fresh parmesan to make an actual alfredo sauce. Added some fresh brocolli and cauliflower to make an outstanding fettucine primavera alfredo. Was too stuffed for desert, but I used the extra heavy cream to make chocolate pudding in the morning. No problem staying fueled that weekend.

I get miniture bagles and make a sandwich with pepperoni and cup of ramon soup.It cant get much quicker easier or tastier than that.

Images

Lipton Cajun Rice with these additions: a diced up Jalapeno, some pepperjack cheese, and a few slices of pepperoni. Spicy and greasy. MMMM!!!
    Also, as an addition to about any noodle dish I chop up a clove of garlic and saute it in some squeeze butter or olive oil. Then dump the water in and cook like normal.

Images

I used to carry either a Zuchinni or a squash with me. Nothing beats tuna, zuchinni, and either a Lipton or Idahoan Fully Baked mashed potatoes!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default My best meal ...

I took a half pound of very lean ground sirloin and browned it in a skillet using A1 steak sauce as a marinade. I poured off what little fat there was and then dried it in my dehydrator. I added that to a Lipton Beef Stroganoff meal and the rest was history ...
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

fresh wild blueberry pancakes with honey...Hot Tea..

or maybe fresh picked blackberries with dumplings..

and I like my organic rainbow spiral noddles with curried lentils, carrot and onion.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Default Campfire Pizza

Best trail meal I've had so far has to be campfire pizza. Hot (good on cool evenings) and spicy (compared to many bland instant dishes).

Put a 7" pizza crust (you can buy them in packages at your local grocery store) in a fry pan (for me, my pot "lid" is a fry pan). Before putting in a crust, put in a couple of tablespoons of water (to create steam to melt the cheese).

Spread some pizza sauce on the crust (you can buy this in clear plastic packets along with the crusts), then put some pre-sliced pepperoni on top (also can buy with the crusts). Finally, sprinkle shreaded cheese on top.

Cover the pan and put on the fire. The water steams, melts the cheese, and then evaporates. I like my crust just a bit crispy ... in fact, ours were a tad burned and that tasted just right to us.

Hot and TASTY!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Best trail meal I've had so far has to be campfire pizza. Hot (good on cool evenings) and spicy (compared to many bland instant dishes).

Put a 7" pizza crust (you can buy them in packages at your local grocery store) in a fry pan (for me, my pot "lid" is a fry pan). Before putting in a crust, put in a couple of tablespoons of water (to create steam to melt the cheese).

Spread some pizza sauce on the crust (you can buy this in clear plastic packets along with the crusts), then put some pre-sliced pepperoni on top (also can buy with the crusts). Finally, sprinkle shreaded cheese on top.

Cover the pan and put on the fire. The water steams, melts the cheese, and then evaporates. I like my crust just a bit crispy ... in fact, ours were a tad burned and that tasted just right to us.

Hot and TASTY!!!

What????!!!??? NO Wasabi Peas???!!!????
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

The best fancy trail meal I accidently made on the trail was using the Pesto Pizza mix and my brand new, at the time, Ultralite Outback Oven outfit. I couldn't get the pizza to fit in the pan, so I folded the edges up and over the top. It seemed like a calzone.

Next time, I tried packaged Jiffy Pizza dough mix and a small frozen tub of Pesto sauce I carried. I added a small amount of bits of crumbled feta cheese. This became my favorite pizza of all time, at home or on the trail.

It is best, using a yeasty-flavored pizza dough that bubbles during baking, then, makes a crust. The entire effect is a dry-topping pizza: very good. I make this from scratch, now. I purchase a strong-flavored fancy packaged yeast.

I want to try some of the meal ideas here.

Connie

Images

Rare steak with bell pepers and fresh bagget. A little burbon to drink with it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Merlin

But I refuse to play, is that OK? Cause you know Freeze dried food is the tastiest. So why play games?,,,, its also 20X lighter,,,,20X easyer to prepare,,,, saves fuel and just as cheap in #10 bulk cans????????????? Be prepared.

My point is; You do your thing, I'll do mine.

Best? Grilled fresh trout, grits and coffee for breakfast.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default I know it's not gourmet

My suppers are normally boil a bag of something, add a pouch of something else, and an extra pinch of this or that.

On my last trip I liked two particular combinations enough to note in my journal that I wouldn't mind serving either at home.

One is Idahoan brand 'Loaded Baked' flavored mashed potatoes made with powdered milk, olive oil, and a foil pouch of chicken. This was also eaten after a LONG, tiring day and part of the appeal may have been the simplicity - boil water, stir in stuff, let it sit a few minutes, then eat from the pot. Wash the pot by adding more water and heating a little to make potato soup. In camp, I mean, maybe not at home.

The second was really tasty - just Lipton "Asian Side" Sweet and Sour Noodles with a foil pouch of Lemon-Pepper flavor Tuna and a couple healthy dashes of Tobasco. I've made this for lunch a few times, it's really good.

I saw in the store last night that Lipton has introduced a lot more new flavors, "Fiesta Sides" or something. Looks interesting but I'm on the Sunnova Beach (S. Beach) Diet. Low carbs and all that.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I made rice noodles with a spicy thai peanut sauce(curry, peanut butter, sesame seeds, oil, water). Of course now that I have the jetboil i am limited to boiling stuff. No more tuna quesadillas.

Images

Thumbs up Yummy

Quote Originally Posted by TDale
    Best? Grilled fresh trout, grits and coffee for breakfast.
    TDale, may I please hike with you?!!!!!!!!!!

Rain Man

Talking

Next time I'm going to the Conasauga I'll let you know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve

and I like my organic rainbow spiral noddles with curried lentils, carrot and onion.
    You must shop at Whole Foods there in Atlanta. Nothing like that here in Huntspatch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++