WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How'd this happen?

Anyone know how this top rock, which is probably 500lbs, became balanced on the lower two? It's just hard to believe it happened naturally.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=20154&c=519

P.S. This is on the AT, somewhere between Rock Spring and Pass Mtn Huts in SNP.

I would venture to say man made.

geek

They appear to be the same kind of rock, so who knows? There are similar rock formations in the Garden of the Gods, CO, that aren't manmade. Then again it could be a Stonehenge thing. Some things are just for us to wonder about.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

It could happen naturally if the rock on top cracked the rock on the bottom when it landed and years of erosion removed the cracked portion of the bottom rock. A second (and more plausible explanation) would be that there was originally soil in the empty space and that when the earth's crust was thrust upward in whatever event formed the mountain. Over the years, the soil would wash away leaving only the few small rocks seen supporting the large top rock.

Hmmm, looks to be similar to this precariously perched boulder
    Can't imagine why anyone would take the time to set up a tall tripod to place a big rock on top of another.
    I'd call it an act of nature, probably been ther millions of years or more.
    WALK ON

Were there mountain glaciers in SNP during the Ice Age? That's beyond where the continental glaciers reached.

Images

Ho, Ho, Ho, Green Giant.

One word. Erosion.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Ho, Ho, Ho, Green Giant.
    Actually, the Green Giant has been charged with sexual harrasment and is currently the target of a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the offended women of the world. Santa is a co-defendant...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115...ristmasoffbeat

<P.S. This post was meant to be humerous. Please, no threatening PMs or e-mails>
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Hmmm, looks to be similar to this precariously perched boulder
    Can't imagine why anyone would take the time to set up a tall tripod to place a big rock on top of another.
    I'd call it an act of nature, probably been ther millions of years or more.
    There's ways to do it without the tripod, but I'm voting for nature. With endless variation, you're bound to occasionally get rocks balanced on rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Anyone know how this top rock, which is probably 500lbs, became balanced on the lower two? It's just hard to believe it happened naturally.
    I'm going to guess the Great Flood. Only because if the flood did this, your rock was a piece of cake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...randCanyon.jpg
    (image from AOL images)

Tom
    Last edited by T-Dubs; 11-27-2007 at 17:29. Reason: that whole copyright thing, right?

I realise this is an older thread but it reminded me of balance rock in Lanesborough Ma http://www.skyweb.net/~channy/BalanceRock.html
    there are a few others in the area but thats the most popular due to it's poise.

http://www.neara.org/Moore/balancedrocks.htm
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I did it.

you're the creator of stonehenge?
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

Images

Given the shape of both rocks, it looks like a lot of erosion and rounding took place before the one on top was deposited there. Glacier action would be my bet, during one of the many retreats and advances. The last glaciation period didn't get that far south, but others did and the continent did drift around a bit. Then again, I'm no geologist, and the same guys who made those crop circles could be working overtime.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Given the shape of both rocks, it looks like a lot of erosion and rounding took place before the one on top was deposited there. Glacier action would be my bet, during one of the many retreats and advances. The last glaciation period didn't get that far south, but others did and the continent did drift around a bit. Then again, I'm no geologist, and the same guys who made those crop circles could be working overtime.
    This reminds me of the many hillsides (especially in the south) that are littered with rocks and boulders. If you look up and down you see nothing but rocks (I'm not talking about mountains, such as Mt Washington), walk a little they are gone, then some more they are back. Its as if they came out of the top of the mountain and just rolled down hill. I wonder how long until there's a major rock slide through those areas; it's going to happen only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouen View Post
    you're the creator of stonehenge?
    Kind of. . . sure. . . I mean, yes!!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its the trail ghosts playing a nice game of Stack the Rocks
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I saw this balancing rock again, it's on the south side of Mary's Rock. I believe it's between Mary's rock and Byrds Nest#3 Picnic Shelter. It's right on the AT, it will be on your right side if you're SOBO. The top rock is pretty big and the bottom is a little smaller than a bowling ball.

Images

I was walking on Kennesaw Mountain a couple of years ago with my then 4y/o grandson when he asked, "how did they get all these rocks up here"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++