WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Who do you consider to be Trail Legends?

"Old Time Legends":

Ed Garvey - he wrote the book I most consult with and enjoyed most. He walked the trail, worked the trail, shared the trail and helped to preserve the trail!!

Earl Schaffer - first true thru-hiker. Wonderful man. truely understood the trail and it's magic.

Grandma Gatewood - first female thru-hiker, made all of her own
    gear.

"Recent Legends":

Wingfoot (Dan Bruce) - Hiked the trail numerous times, author of the Thru-HIker Handbook, on various trail committees, is a strong advocate for trail issues.

Nomad Nibblewill - Completed what some call the ECT, author of 10,000,000 Steps, inspirational spreaker.

"Current Legends"

The Barefoot Sisters (Isis & Jackrabbit) for hiking barefoot 75% of their hike from ME to GA in 2000 and then hiking back home GA to ME in 2001.

Hammock Hanger - a legend in her own mind!!! ~~

I was lucky enough to meet all the above with the exception of Ed G & Grandma G.

HAMMOCK HANGER
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I remember the BAREFOOT SISTERS at the talent show in damascus....
    man are they something!!!

Wink Add to the Recent /Current Legends list....

I think the Recent/Current Legends would be incomplete without adding Baltimore Jack to the list. With 7 thru-hikes since 1995 I would think that would put him on the TOP of the list.

I also think Lone Wolf has a place on the list with some SERIOUS miles hiked on the AT.

It appears that some of the missing people on the Recent/ Current list do not boast about their accomplishments, are modest people who just quietly do their own thing and help others maybe that is why I did not see anyone mention them yet.

BTW...can anyone out there send me a pointer to trail journals for either one of these guys...something tells me it would be the DEFINITIVE read for the most RECENT insight into what trail life is REALLY like.

Images

Anyone who has spent some time with Rambunny would certainly consider her a "Trail Legend" !!!

Images

Default BJ/LW journals...

Yes, BJ is pretty much a legend on the trail, seems 90% of hikers old and new have heard of him in some way or another. -- I honestly don't know as much about LW.

As for public journals, don't know if they have one. (Some hikers prefer to keep their journey private.) As both are big contributors to this site, I'm sure they will let ya know themselves.

HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Talking

No journals for me. I'm just hiker trash. I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend. I can name a few though. Bob Barker hiked The AT 3 times using crutches. Tom Horn has been out here for 20+ years. His dog Misty had 12,000 miles before she died. Ward Leonard, 11 thru-hikes plus other miles.1 he did in 60 days unsupported. Warren Doyle. Just as many hikes and miles. Bill Erwin. Pirate. Leonard Atkins & the Umbrella Lady. Many, many more. There are so many you won't hear about. They won't write books or look for recognition.

Lone Wolf wrote:

I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend.
    You might not fit the description of a purist and you might not think you are a legend but what you've done sure sounds like you are a legend in your own right!!!!! What is great is that you have enjoyed your miles and have not made false claim to your hikes.
    AND...I'll BET you have some GREAT stories logging all those miles.
    I was hoping you might have kept a journal....I'll bet it would have been very interesting to read!!!

PS...I'll have to look for a journal on Tim Horn and his amazing dog..WOW now that IS man's best friend...12,000 miles for a dog is incredible!!!!
    Last edited by Ann; 01-13-2003 at 15:36.

Default Dead Guy Legend

I would deffinitely second the nomination for Baltimore Jack, even if he had not thruhiked so many times. The many and varied stories about him finding a dead guy in the Doyle Hotel are legendary enough. I don't even need to hear the real story as I love hearing the new ones that evolve every year. I would like to know the room number however, so I can be sure to get the right one next time I'm through. The new owners claim to not know. Was it the back corner room on the third floor?

Default WHOA...

WOW..
    Blue Jay!!!!! I'd now say that clinches the top berth on the current/recent legends list by a landslide.

The many and varied stories about him finding a dead guy in the Doyle Hotel are legendary enough. I don't even need to hear the real story as I love hearing the new ones that evolve every year.
    OK...PLEASE, PLEASE, no holding back, gotta provide any links if they are known!!!!!!!

Images

Default Re: Dead Guy Legend

Originally posted by Blue Jay
    . The new owners claim to not know. Was it the back corner room on the third floor?
    That is the room I had.... Maybe that is why I had such weird dreams.... HH

Default Dead Guy Legend

Blue Jay asked "Was it the back corner room on the third floor?"

Nope.

Thumbs up A HA

Now I know it was Professor Plum, with the Candlestick and I only have to get the right room and I win.

Default Legend: Rufus Morgan

It was 1975, I was learning how to be a camp counselor at a place just out of Franklin NC called the Inn of the Last Resort.

The owner knew Rufus, an episcopal priest who did a lot of trail hiking and maintaining. I believe he has a shelter named after him.

Well, it turned out that Rufus liked to hike to the cabin on Mt. LeConte on his birthday. He had been doing it for decades and a small group of 40 or so of us walked that summer with him on his 90th birthday. We walked out of somewhere near NewFound Gap.

It was not an easy hike, as Rufus was essentially blind by then, and he insisted on leading the hike.

Rick
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

I read about a Blind Man who hiked the entire AT but I cannot recall his name. Wouldn't he qualify as a "legend?"
    Skylander Jack

Default Bill Irwin

Originally posted by JackW
    I read about a Blind Man who hiked the entire AT but I cannot recall his name. Wouldn't he qualify as a "legend?"
    The man was Bill Irwin. Read his book "Blind Courage" about his 1990 thru-hike.

Personally, the AT isn't designed for hiking without eyesight. While I may condone his decision to thru-hike, I certainly do very much admire and respect him for his convictions. I listened to him talk at the 1992 ATC conference in Williamstown, and thought that he was the highlist of that conference.

Thanks. I will get that book.
    Skylander Jack

His dog is the legend. How would you like having a blind guy fall on you over and over and over. I'm not joking.

Images

What about the tin can stove man?? From what I understand he practically singlehandedly did away with stove weight and his stoves are still made and used today. Being a newbie, he's one of the first 'legends' I heard about.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Default Legends

I have not saw and entries about Dorothy Laker, she was one of the first female hikers to thru-hike the AT. She should be mentioned as a legand.

George S. Patton
    Rigormortis

Originally posted by Lone Wolf
    No journals for me. I'm just hiker trash. I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend. I can name a few though. Bob Barker hiked The AT 3 times using crutches. Tom Horn has been out here for 20+ years. His dog Misty had 12,000 miles before she died. Ward Leonard, 11 thru-hikes plus other miles.1 he did in 60 days unsupported. Warren Doyle. Just as many hikes and miles. Bill Erwin. Pirate. Leonard Atkins & the Umbrella Lady. Many, many more. There are so many you won't hear about. They won't write books or look for recognition.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++