WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Great quote, 30, I will NEVER forget that statement. I, too, forget exactly what it was about, but it was one of the funniest things that Jack has ever said. Almost as funny as the expression on his face, as if to say "That really didn't just come out of my mouth, did it?"

There are no living trail legends.

Default Family from the North

The Family from the North had a pretty young kid with them (2?) but she didn't hike, or even walk. I wonder how young the youngest one of them was. I seem to think that they had a 4 year old with them, but maybe I am misremembering..

Interesting family though. Hiked in SOBO in 2000/2001. I wonder what they did after they were done. When we met them at the Blue Mountain Shelter the father was talking about a yo-yo or a PCT hike, but the Mom and daughters were pretty much done hiking. The sons were into it though.

Gravity Man

Sooo. . .trail legends (that was the topic, hey?)
    Hmm. Earl (cemented his status in my mind with the PA Ruck "Gatewoodgate"); Bill Irwin, although I really don't believe a blind guy got up South Kinsman; Warren; Baltimore Jack (I know the room number, and I also knew about the recently discovered large toenail); LW (with a very Charles Barkleyesque "I am not a trail legend" thing going on); Tilly, Bob & Pat, the incomperable Miss J, Steve "Don't Pay the Ferryman" Longley, Peregrin of America, the mysterious Lester Zemons, and Uncle Johnny, for all the wrong reasons. Oh, and Bill.

Incomplete, but a nice mix. How's that grabya?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000
    Peregrin of America, the mysterious Lester Zemons
    Please tell me about these two, I do not know anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Seiko has been around a very long time, and nobody's really sure how many A.T. miles he has.... but it's a lot. He knows the trail as well as anyone alive, and is one of the most impressive hikers I've ever met. By the way, he doesn't change his trail name every year; he's been "Seiko" for quite awhile now.... and as for his real name, well, he likes to keep a very low profile; you'll never see him on an internet forum, you'll never see him commenting on his accumulated mileage, number of hikes, etc. That's not his style. I'm not sure HE even knows how far he's travelled on the Trail.....nor does he particularly care, for that matter.
    You sure got that right .
    Last edited by attroll; 01-23-2004 at 22:40. Reason: fix quotes

How about Flyin' Brian? He did all three trails (CDT, PCT, and AT) in 10 months. Over 7000 trail miles.

Images

Default Legends

What about Heald w/ Dog Wonder? I think they have a whole bunch of miles.
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tribes
    What about Heald w/ Dog Wonder? I think they have a whole bunch of miles.

Yeah, that was my choice, refer back to an earlier post. He may have never officially done a thru-hike (that i know of) but hes hiked the equivalent many times south bound which not many others have. Most miles were off season, alone, in very cold weather. He also does have a substantial number of nobo miles each early spring. Doesn't ask for praise. Doesn't spend all day online. A good guy
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

A-Train, I agree with you. Remember he camped with us at Hawk Mountain shelter last March 1st. I talked with him at the top of Springer on February 28th and he had just got his new BD Megalite. He stopped at Stover Creek for a break on March 1st with Liteshoe, Wench, Hotdog, Bumpkin and myself.

He works with Winton each year prior to his NB start. I don't know total miles but it is a tremendous amount....and is leaving in March again.

Default My first thru hike begins on 5/15/04 any advice for me ?

Lone WOlf: Hello my trailname is Tanglefoot. This will be my first through hike and I am confused about allk the choices of foods and supplies. I am close to ordering for about 1 grand Monutain House http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...8c0d8a65159aae Nitro Pack is willing to halve the order for me so then I can have a frined ship a box of food and supplies every 2 weeks to a new location. I also am looking at the Aquamira wtaer purification which looks reasonably cheap as I can buy it for 11 bucks for a 30 gallon treatment. They even claim it makes the water taste better. ANy info you shre would be helful.
    Tanglefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
    No journals for me. I'm just hiker trash. I say I've done 5 thru-hikes + 6000 "other" miles but those thru-hikes weren't "pure" there's a lot of blue-blazing and road walking in those miles. No patches or certificates for me. 1986 was my first year. I've been to Springer every spring since then. Plus 1 SOBO. I ain't no legend. I can name a few though. Bob Barker hiked The AT 3 times using crutches. Tom Horn has been out here for 20+ years. His dog Misty had 12,000 miles before she died. Ward Leonard, 11 thru-hikes plus other miles.1 he did in 60 days unsupported. Warren Doyle. Just as many hikes and miles. Bill Erwin. Pirate. Leonard Atkins & the Umbrella Lady. Many, many more. There are so many you won't hear about. They won't write books or look for recognition.

A-train, was his dog's name Annie? I know she got injured on last years hike and had to go home. He told me she had over 8,000 AT miles herself.

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Exclamation

I'll cast my vote for Bill Irwin. He's the reason I'm beginning my thru-hike on March 22nd. His strength and determination showed me that I actually stood a chance of completing a thru-hike regardless of the obstacles. Peaks made the statement that "Personally, the AT isn't designed for hiking without eyesight" I guess Bill could have stayed at home and practiced his chair caning abilities, but he didn't, and for that, I am thankful. The man fell, on average of, 25 times per day, every day he was on the trail. And you know what? He got back up and continued his hike each time he fell. That may not seem like a legend in some folks' book, but he'll always be one in mine.(Not looking to start an arguement, just stating my feelings.)
    Scott Rogers, Amputee Hiker

Images

Default The Orient Express

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I'll cast my vote for Bill Irwin. ... The man fell, on average of, 25 times per day, every day he was on the trail. And you know what? He got back up and continued his hike each time he fell. ...
    Scott, I'll agree with you. THAT is legendary stuff for sure. And his dog Orient (now dead) deserves to be named too.

My daughter and I heard Bill Irwin speak last April in Gatlinburg, then read his book. I've only hiked the portion of the AT in Georgia, but even so still can not imagine doing it totally blind.

Rain Man

Images

Happy, Good to see you here! That was certainly a big group of march 1 starters, and a crowded hawk mountain. Yes, Heald's dog is named Annie, the wonder dog. Hes got some great cartoons in the registers, probably every single year. Hes hiking again this march. Usually takes off in march, hikes north, works at his shop for a couple months then starts SOBOing in september. Saw him at the Gathering in October, he had hiked into Hanover. And yeah, Annie has tons of miles on her, that old hag!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Do you know when

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    I remember the BAREFOOT SISTERS at the talent show in damascus....
    man are they something!!!

Hi smoky

Do you know when they finished their SB hike in 2000 ? I met a couple of gals last part of Feb. first part of March 2001 in the southern part of the AT, just wondering if it could have been them. These gals had hairy legs dudes with them though..

PS thanks for telling me about this site.
    Last edited by Zzzzdyd; 01-25-2004 at 19:44. Reason: spelling
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Dorothy Laker Thru-Hiked 3 times.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea......Legends.

1) Henry David Thoreau
    2) John Muir
    3) Myron Avery
    4) Earl Shaffer
    5) Ed Garvey
    6) Gramma Gatewood
    7) Dorothy Laker
    8) Seiko
    9) Ward Leonard
    10) Baltimore Jack

__________________________________________________ __________________
    Shining Stars!
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Anyone who takes steps on AT is a legend. A dream begun. Thousands of miles mean s**t. Just walk.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Anyone who takes steps on AT is a legend. ...
    I want to agree with L. Wolf on this one. When I first saw this thread, I almost voted for myself as a trail legend, but I thought that might be misunderstood as too pompous or flippant.

But I think ordinary folks are trail legends in their own right. Everybody has his/her own story.

Right on, L. Wolf!

Rain Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++