WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vitamins for a vegetarian

I am seeking opinions on the subject of bringing vitamins with me on the trail. I am a long time vegetarian (10 years this month, since I was 12 years old). I have been taking vitamins specifically for vegetarians for a couple years now. I dont know if it will be worth bringing them. Granted a bottle of pills really isnt that big, but I dont know if it's worth the hassle of having them mailed and whatnot. Any thoughts? THANKS.
    Two Beers.

Hey girl,
    I put my vitamins in a ziploc, Centrum Performance, glucosamine and ibuprofin. Usually enough for about 30 days. Then resupply or bounce box. It's a pretty good system.
    You going NOBO or SOBO?

I am NOBO, and thank you for your advice!
    Two Beers.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacomp View Post
    I am NOBO, and thank you for your advice!
    Yupperdoodle, enjoy your hike. See you in the northeast somewhere. Peace.
    SOBO8

Definetely worth the effort to take vitamins, I would also add glucosimine and chondrotin (joint health) and make sure I had an abundance of high quality protein in my diet. Walking from GA to VA should have you in top shape, not injured and having to leave the trail. I think most of these aborted thru's are from living off of pop tarts.

They should definitely have a poptart vitamin!!!!

I've been a veggie since 1973 and I like this one:

www.luckyvitamin.com/097467030862.html

It's called Nature's Plus Source of Life/Adult's Chewable and they're tasty wafers which I take out backpacking and either break in half or take the whole one. They are very tasty and pleasant, like candy.

I'd bring them. They're not going to weigh that much. Many threads mention limited-selection issues at resupply. Given that you're a vegetarian, you're already going to have less to choose from. My 2 cents; YMMV.

Images

take the vitamins, you need every nutrient you can get, i took fish oil as well, found out they don't belong in the same ziplock though
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    take the vitamins, you need every nutrient you can get, i took fish oil as well, found out they don't belong in the same ziplock though
    Good point, I would also take fish oil and Vit E 400 IU, since you are a vegetarian your diet may be too low in fat for hiking. Vitamins A, D, E, & K are lipid soluble, that means if you don't take them with fat, you don't absorb them, you just make better quality fertilizer. If I were you I would also take protein powder for milkshakes, and I'd buy six eggs and boil them every resupply. Use olive oil liberally.

I dont actually eat fish/seafood either.
    However, I do like the idea of the protein powder. That isnt something I do now, so I guess I never thought of it. I really dont eat a lot as is, so I think I am going to have to really study up on healthy eating on the trail, I dont want that to be a reason for me to get sick/have to stop.
    But thanks, thanks and more thanks for people's thoughts thus far!
    Two Beers.

As you probably already have worked out a diet for yourself in the last twelve years, you may want to concentrate your research on calories and protein. These will be the issues that will be the difference on the trail from your average day.
    BTW, flavored protein powder would make a great drink mix for cereal. I also used vanilla or strawberry carnation instant breakfast drink as milk for my cereal.

Images

chances are you can find a veggie version, you'll pay an arm and leg for it though
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    chances are you can find a veggie version, you'll pay an arm and leg for it though
    Vegetarian Omega-3s contain flax oil and borage. I have actually seen these packaged in *gelatin* caps though -- read the label.

All Omega-3 supplements that are worth a damn are fairly expensive.

For vitamins, make sure you get enough zinc. Vegetarians can be chronically short on it.

Try fitday.com. You can put in a days worth of food, then use their reports to tell you if you are meeting all the RDAs for vitamins and minerals -- it's way handy!
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

I'm a vegan and I take a couple multi-vitamins and calcium supplements (since I don't consume dairy) a day even when I'm not hiking. I always take them when I'm on the trail. Tough for me to get enough iron, and the B-complex vitamins, otherwise. Nuts are a great source of fat while hiking (and magnesium, which helps your joints). And if you do follow the advice to take glucosamine for your joints, be aware that glucosamine sulfate is derived from shell-fish, while glucosamine chloride can be found that is vegetarian and vegan friendly (derived from corn).

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I'm a vegan and I take a couple multi-vitamins and calcium supplements (since I don't consume dairy) a day even when I'm not hiking. I always take them when I'm on the trail. Tough for me to get enough iron, and the B-complex vitamins, otherwise. Nuts are a great source of fat while hiking (and magnesium, which helps your joints). And if you do follow the advice to take glucosamine for your joints, be aware that glucosamine sulfate is derived from shell-fish, while glucosamine chloride can be found that is vegetarian and vegan friendly (derived from corn).
    I was about to mention walnuts, fresh walnuts, which I mix with raisins for my gorp bag. Oils, etc. I go back and forth with the vegan thing, of late though I've found a source of raw goat cheese which I take out on my trips(ONLY eat on backpacking trips -- too good to waste otherwise). Like it . . . love it . . . need it . . . want it, etc.

I've used numerous protein powders over the years and they work when mixed properly, not so easy to do with a spoon. I can only get a good mix by shaking it up with liquid in a nalgene, vigorous shaking, otherwise clumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I was about to mention walnuts, fresh walnuts, which I mix with raisins for my gorp bag. Oils, etc. I go back and forth with the vegan thing, of late though I've found a source of raw goat cheese which I take out on my trips(ONLY eat on backpacking trips -- too good to waste otherwise). Like it . . . love it . . . need it . . . want it, etc.

I've used numerous protein powders over the years and they work when mixed properly, not so easy to do with a spoon. I can only get a good mix by shaking it up with liquid in a nalgene, vigorous shaking, otherwise clumps.
    I use a pint nalgene for protein powder drinks, mix half, shake like hell, add the other half and shake again. Drink it, and don't forget to put some water in that nalgene or you'll have a gooey (or maybe rock hard) mess to clean up.

hm maybe i wil start tasting different protein powders now just to get a feel for it. I've never been interested before because it honestly looks terrible tasting to me. I typically am pretty open to trying to new foods so I dont know why I've felt this way about the powder. Any suggestions for better tasting ones?
    Two Beers.

hm maybe i wil start tasting different protein powders now just to get a feel for it. I've never been interested before because it honestly looks terrible tasting to me. I typically am pretty open to trying to new foods so I dont know why I've felt this way about the powder. Any suggestions for better tasting ones?
    They have a new one at Vitamin World that tastes like cheeseburgers.

Just Kidding.

Dang it, I'm no shill for Nature's Plus brand, but here is my favorite protein energy meal:

Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein
    Spiru-Tein High Protein Energy Meal
    Soy protein powder with spirulina

extra blurbs: Non GMO
    many different flavors/strawberry, banana, etc
    100% daily value of vitamins, minerals
    Soy protein and bee pollen
    Lecithin, choline and inositol
    bromelain and papaya enzymes, the works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++