WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

What I want to know, maxNcathy, is are you determined? What is your intended destination and what would be an acceptible reason for stopping short of it now?

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I've had people tell me with a straight face that they were never bored on their thru hikes.
    That's what mp3 players and books are for. I get bored taking breaks sometimes. There's an easy correction for that, start hiking.

Default Are You determined?

You don't need any electronic crap to hike the AT and you don't need to be bored. Just try it.

folks just need to quit being so goal oriented

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Yeah, I knew lots of thru-hikers in 99 who decided they were only going to hike as long as the hike was fun, and they all.....um.... wait, none of them completed their thru-hike........

Seriously, no amount of talking about how determined you or any one else is makes any difference in who will finish a thru-hike. You can't measure what some one has inside by looking at them or their gear, or the words they say or type.

I finished because I was stubborn and stupid (i. e. I was a purist), and that helped me stay focused. What works for you (or not) may be completely different......
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    You don't need any electronic crap to hike the AT and you don't need to be bored. Just try it.
    LOL.... Try hiking without music? I did for the 1st half of the AT. I couldn't get the earworms out my head. Singing the same song over and over again got boring. Now I listen to music from time to time and whenever I please.

Why should I go without music?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    What I want to know, maxNcathy, is are you determined? What is your intended destination and what would be an acceptible reason for stopping short of it now?
    Hi Shades of Gray

No, I am not yet determined to thru hike the AT. My wife and dog and kayaking friends would miss me too much ..and I would miss them likewise.
    So, for now(2008) I have chosen to go back to hike 6 weeks like I did in 2007.

This past year on the AT was tough the first several days because I was not in top shape and the weather was very hot and the mts seemed very steep. But I really enjoyed hiking the AT and when my time was up and my wife drove down to bring me home north of Hot Springs I was not eager to leave the Trail as I had made some dear friends and I was still injury free and getting stronger each day it seemed.

From Springer I told folks I was not a thru hiker but was returning home after 6 weeks..No one seemed to look down on me because I was just hiking 6 weeks as I thought some might.I thought about just saying I was a thru hiker but decided not to the first day.
    Of the 6 "thru hikers" who became my friends only one made it the whole way.They left one by one due to sickness and injury and love and school related issues.

If I was single I would attempt a thru hike and would be very determined to finish the whole trail. But I know in order for me to do that it would be important to meet and hike with fellow hikers that I enjoyed being with. I like people and know I would not be motivated to hike day after day without the good company of trail friends.

It must have been a lonely hike for Earl Shaeffer back in 1948. Too lonely for me, no doubt.

My wife does hike some but she wants to work another 4 years then travel etc. If she was keen on thru hiking we would try it together in 4 years..but I would not tell anyone we were thru hikers until Mt Katahdin was clearly in view or underfoot.

Keep well,
    Sandalwood
    Last edited by maxNcathy; 12-02-2007 at 23:33.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Boredom for me was more like being tired of doing the same thing. I really got tired of it - first in VA for about a week but much more in Maine. Tired of the routine of hiking. Tired of being in pain. Tired of being afraid of falling down some steep slick cliff face. Tired of being away from home and my hubby. Tired of the whole thing. And that's when you need a mental adjustment to keep on truckin'.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Fellow Hikers,
    How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance? What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home? How will you make your hike fun?
    How many months have you set aside for this hike?

Sandalwood

I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment. Because of recent events I'm really going to have to dig deep and buckle down to make it come together financially. But that is only part of the reason.

Part of me is afraid of my families reaction. Then there is the self doubt. I want this so bad that it's all that I think about but in a way I'm scared to put it all on the line and actually do it.

I battled it this weekend and decided that even if this is waaayyyy out of my comfort zone I'm going to bite the bullet and get it together. I'm back in the gym today and I'll be sitting down with the bills and calculator to figure out how I can make this work. Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino wraps a supportive tail around AmazonWoman. You can do this if you want ::::

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    ::: Dino wraps a supportive tail around AmazonWoman. You can do this if you want ::::
    Thank you so much. I've wasted alot of years because I was afraid to go out on a limb. My WB family has really inspired me.
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sometimes on previous hikes I get that two minutes of "why am I here," but then it goes away and I have an amazing time... playing in the woods has been my job for several years.
    I plan on taking it one day at a time, like many of you have said, wait it out for a week. I have also written down some fun little quotes which I hope will re-motivate me along those rough days. Things like... "How many people get the chance to do something like this?" Ya know the cheesey stuff ... sometimes that works for me haha. I also tend to be stubborn so... I hope that helps keeps me out there.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns, and cities." Nessmuk, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    So you're volunteering to hike my hike for me? Does that mean I have to hike yours for you now?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
    I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment. Because of recent events I'm really going to have to dig deep and buckle down to make it come together financially. But that is only part of the reason.

Part of me is afraid of my families reaction. Then there is the self doubt. I want this so bad that it's all that I think about but in a way I'm scared to put it all on the line and actually do it.

I battled it this weekend and decided that even if this is waaayyyy out of my comfort zone I'm going to bite the bullet and get it together. I'm back in the gym today and I'll be sitting down with the bills and calculator to figure out how I can make this work. Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!
    Julie, I hope you keep a journal at www.trailjournals.com so we can hear about your hike and cheer you on.
    Very best wishes, Sandalwood

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you so much. I've wasted alot of years because I was afraid to go out on a limb. My WB family has really inspired me.
    Go, Amazonwoman, go!!

I was a nervous wreck every time I would stop in a trail town with the thought of having to hike the next section. I got really worried about the "unknowns" ahead. Then I was always better as soon as my feet hit the trail, and I settled back into hiking. It's really a - for better or for worse relationship, this trail.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Are You determined?

Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    So you're volunteering to hike my hike for me? Does that mean I have to hike yours for you now?
    You're confused. I don't care what you do. I was just eluminating the ground on which you walk. If you choose to haul a bunch of extra junk with you go ahead. HYOH or not.

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Julie, I hope you keep a journal at www.trailjournals.com so we can hear about your hike and cheer you on.
    Very best wishes, Sandalwood
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have a trailjournal but I need to update and change a few things. It's mostly from last year when I was planning a 2007 SOBO and chickened out. I'll try to keep it up to date.

Julie
    Dancer (Julie)

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Go, Amazonwoman, go!!

I was a nervous wreck every time I would stop in a trail town with the thought of having to hike the next section. I got really worried about the "unknowns" ahead. Then I was always better as soon as my feet hit the trail, and I settled back into hiking. It's really a - for better or for worse relationship, this trail.
    Thanks Blissful,

You are one of my inspirations. I read some of your journal and need to go back and finish it. It seems I never have the time to do all the reading I want to do. I'm not chickening out this time. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Dancer (Julie)

I actually had a huge case of cold feet last week and began to question my commitment...
    So, Julie, what makes you think you are any different than anyone else? Do you think anyone approaches the unknown without some reservations? Every one of us has points at which they question their committment. For some, the point is a bit further down the line, but we all do it.

In reality, it's almost a warrior attitude that you have to achieve. Going into battle, everyone is scared. The warrior attitude is that you go do what you have to do to accomplish the mission. Regardless.

You are really already ahead of the game. You have already put your first obstacle behind you. Having already decided not to be deterred, you're southbound, girl!

Whatever it takes I'm SOBO in 2008!!
    GO FOR IT!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++