WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

How determined? Great question. I have the time and money and I'm in decent shape, but I know there will be times I will be bored, tired, in pain, uncomfortable, and/or grumpy. I'm sure I'll miss all the comforts of the soft life, from friends and families to couches and cold beer. These feelings will pass, and the trail being the trail, there's usually no immediate option to quit. So, I want to quit hiking? No problem, hike 10 more miles to civilization. 2 miles later and I don't want to quit anymore. And all those comforts? I'm fairly sure they will all be there when I get back.

I think the 0 days/town breaks will tempt me the worst to abandon my hike. So, I'm gonna try to limit those opportunities as much as I can.

I would really like to hike the total trail, but if I don't that's OK. I'm giving myself a great opportunity and a great challenge. I am going to take it one step at a time. I know that even if I only hike 20 miles, my time will have been well spent. If I hike 2000 miles, even more so.

Liz, I did as you requested and may your grandma be totally well.
    Ssandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
    How determined? Great question. I have the time and money and I'm in decent shape, but I know there will be times I will be bored, tired, in pain, uncomfortable, and/or grumpy. I'm sure I'll miss all the comforts of the soft life, from friends and families to couches and cold beer. These feelings will pass, and the trail being the trail, there's usually no immediate option to quit. So, I want to quit hiking? No problem, hike 10 more miles to civilization. 2 miles later and I don't want to quit anymore. And all those comforts? I'm fairly sure they will all be there when I get back.

I think the 0 days/town breaks will tempt me the worst to abandon my hike. So, I'm gonna try to limit those opportunities as much as I can.

I would really like to hike the total trail, but if I don't that's OK. I'm giving myself a great opportunity and a great challenge. I am going to take it one step at a time. I know that even if I only hike 20 miles, my time will have been well spent. If I hike 2000 miles, even more so.
    Mayor, I hope you have a great hike!
    Are you keeping a journal at www.trailjournals.com?

Great question indeed! One step and day at a time! If that means setting foot on Katahdin GREAT, if not, it better be a legitiment reason for having to leave! Injury, money, family emergency are the big three for me. Boredom, pain, rain, hunger, lonliness are all things that can fluctuate adding to the lessons and joy of the trail with a good and humorous attitude! Either way i believe i will take many wonderful things away from the experience! The only way to find out is to get out there and give it my all!!

Venture will go the distance...if he can hike with others that he enjoys being around.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    why? it's just a mountain
    (Referring to Katahdin)

You know it's not "just a mountain" to the people on this board. Why do you say things just to be abrasive?

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    (Referring to Katahdin)
    Why do you say things just to be abrasive?
    no. it really is just a mountain

Please check out my new DVD!
    Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness

And the winner of the Shameless Self Promotion award goes to. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    no. it really is just a mountain
    I can recognize baloney when I see it. I don't have to explain why you are wrong since it's self evident. If someone sees a fawn you point out "they're good eating." It doesn't matter if you honestly believe the many abrasive things you say are true, it's obvious you say them for the sake of being abrasive.

Katahdin really is just a mountain and a fawn is cute and tasty too. Have a nice day and drive safe.

P.S. Put me on ignore

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Please check out my new DVD!
    Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness

And the winner of the Shameless Self Promotion award goes to. . . . . .
    We both link to our site, but at least my link works.

A mountain is just a mountain.
    A grain of sand is just a grain of sand.
    A man is just a man.

But we can change, if we have to, I guess.

A abd day on thevtrail is better then a good day at work

A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work
    dumb keyboard at the lib keyboard don't alway work right.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++