WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Its like being a celeb

It has been about 4 months since I have told the guys/gals at work that I am leaving to hike the A.T. in March of 2008.

While the usual comments/questions from my direct co-workers are expected, for the last 3 weeks workers from other buildings of the compound have found out and ask about the thr-hike now. We have about 15 seperate buildings, not a small compound. Also, these are people I dont know at all...... its kinda cool!

While walking to a building, some one will just stop me and ask "Are you that guy thats hiking the trail next year?" Then it goes to the usual "How long will it take, what will you eat, what kinda gun/protection are you going to take, where do you sleep........ and so on" After we talk, every so often that same person wil stop by to get a 'update' of how things are going.
    It has gone so far that when visiting off-sites, people ask about the hike.

While it kinda gets old being asked the same stuff over and over - its also neat that so many have takin interest in this thru-hike. One of the neatest things is the amount of support complete strangers want to give, a few have offered to give me a place to stay for a night here and there along the trail, one of my buddies from work wants me to call when I get above Harpers Ferry so he can throw a get together for 2 days (he owns a cabin a little ways from the trail)!

I have also made a lot of new friends already, its amazing how people open up when it comes to this hike! People will stop by and tell me about the vacation the just got back from, they drop me off booklets from different hiking areas, one lady I only met 2 times stopped me while working to give a vacationers guide to me - she said " I saw this while out west and thought of you" - she held on to it for over a week after getting back so I would be able to see it, it was a little raggady after all that time in her purse but I thought it was cool of her to do that.

Okay, I am done my little ramble....

I have seen a few threads about the "negative" reactions from family and friends but I would like to hear about the "supportive" reactions like this that you all have had.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

He-Dino had the same reaction when he told co-workers he was going to hike after retiring in 2004.

if you fail, most of these folks won't be so supportive. best to pump one's chest and give interviews when and if you make it the whole way. never give a newspaper an interview prior to a thru-hike attempt

Images

You're screwed buddy ... now you got to perform! That's great that you have such support. We'll see how you do in a week.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

good news?...once you start, everyone wants to help you!

bad news?.....if you fail, they all feel like you let them fail!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    good news?...once you start, everyone wants to help you!

bad news?.....if you fail, they all feel like you let them fail!

geek

Put away this talk of "failure." It's an ever loving vacation, not an Everest attempt.

However, I would also advise keeping a lower profile and don't allow the curiosity and attention to go to your head, after all, it's just a long hiking vacation; a series of week long trips that you just happen to be lucky enough to be able to string together. It ain't that big a deal.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95 View Post
    Put away this talk of "failure." It's an ever loving vacation, not an Everest attempt.
    really? it's a marathon. it's a destination not a journey. really

Images

You'll be fine. I personally believe it's a grand thing to attempt. It is going to be a great adventure and I respect anyone who has completed or has given their best attempt at a thru-hike.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

No, its no big deal. I know it aint nothing all that. I was just tryn to get a few post on the positive reactions from people, thats all.

It is funny how many people think its a 4 month hike. It takes a little bit for some to understand its only 4 or 5 day trips following one another till it gets done.

Dont worry, to me its just a long hike, they wont get my head all swelled up

What kind of prizes and awards do you get when its over?
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Wrongway 08,
    only meant to give positive reactions...you will have a great time. I just wanted you to know that these people will feel like they are hiking the trail with you....maybe more incentive for you.

Icemanat95,
    I'll bet that success rate per numbers attempted...Everest has a higher success rate than the AT.

geek

Images

I would never discount a thru-hike as no big deal. It could be no big thing if you had full road support, yellow blazing and or plenty of slack packing. In that case why bother?

Images

Wrongway 08,
    only meant to give positive reactions...you will have a great time. I just wanted you to know that these people will feel like they are hiking the trail with you....maybe more incentive for you.

Icemanat95,
    I'll bet that success rate per numbers attempted...Everest has a higher success rate than the AT.

geek

Opps only meant to say just wanted to hear about others who have had positive responses. I know what you meant, it didnt come across wrong

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    What kind of prizes and awards do you get when its over?
    Oldfivetango
    I'm still trying to find out where to redeem my hard earned miles for the valuable gifts and prizes I heard about!
    Let me know when you find the place. ok?

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    I'm still trying to find out where to redeem my hard earned miles for the valuable gifts and prizes I heard about!
    Let me know when you find the place. ok?
    ATC. patch and certificate. now get a job

geek
    death rate too

it only costs around 60 grand to do everest.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it only costs around 60 grand to do everest.
    and nothing extra to die trying

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    It has been about 4 months since I have told the guys/gals at work that I am leaving to hike the A.T. in March of 2008.

While the usual comments/questions from my direct co-workers are expected, for the last 3 weeks workers from other buildings of the compound have found out and ask about the thr-hike now. We have about 15 seperate buildings, not a small compound. Also, these are people I dont know at all...... its kinda cool!

While walking to a building, some one will just stop me and ask "Are you that guy thats hiking the trail next year?" Then it goes to the usual "How long will it take, what will you eat, what kinda gun/protection are you going to take, where do you sleep........ and so on" After we talk, every so often that same person wil stop by to get a 'update' of how things are going.
    It has gone so far that when visiting off-sites, people ask about the hike.

While it kinda gets old being asked the same stuff over and over - its also neat that so many have takin interest in this thru-hike. One of the neatest things is the amount of support complete strangers want to give, a few have offered to give me a place to stay for a night here and there along the trail, one of my buddies from work wants me to call when I get above Harpers Ferry so he can throw a get together for 2 days (he owns a cabin a little ways from the trail)!

I have also made a lot of new friends already, its amazing how people open up when it comes to this hike! People will stop by and tell me about the vacation the just got back from, they drop me off booklets from different hiking areas, one lady I only met 2 times stopped me while working to give a vacationers guide to me - she said " I saw this while out west and thought of you" - she held on to it for over a week after getting back so I would be able to see it, it was a little raggady after all that time in her purse but I thought it was cool of her to do that.

Okay, I am done my little ramble....

I have seen a few threads about the "negative" reactions from family and friends but I would like to hear about the "supportive" reactions like this that you all have had.
    Hey, that's great!
    They are all secretly jealous, you know.

Few ever throw off routine, fear and inertia and actually start a thing they love, much less finish.
    That's why they view you as a celeb. You are stepping out of the box, and they want to.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    and nothing extra to die trying
    Plenty of challenges on this continent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++