WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default website/host Recommendations

I am looking for anyone that has some good insight on web site development and web domain hosting. I am doing another thru hike this coming may (on the PCT this time) and would like to keep a site a bit more personalized then just a trailjournals.com site.
    I am willing to spend money for the site so long as I can edit and upload w/o have to use MS Front Page.

Any feed back would help.

Peace, love, & Johnny Cash
    Signed
    Bewildered

Images

Sly will probably drop his head in here.....

www.godaddy.com

www.networksolutions.com

Good luck to you.

Images

I second GoDaddy. I host all of my sites with them and have had no issues over the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewildered View Post
    I am looking for anyone that has some good insight on web site development and web domain hosting. I am doing another thru hike this coming may (on the PCT this time)
    Hey Bewildered,

It's Super-T, MEGA 05, let me know if I can help, I currently work in IT/New Media and could def. help you out. I saw your email about the trip, I'm jealous man, so jealous.

I 3rd (4th) Godaddy. Put a Wordpress site on there and you can do anything you want to from the trail. I'm almost done with completely porting over out website to using Wordpress, and wish I'd done it years ago.

Images

Thumbs up

I don't know about godaddy, so can't comment one way or the other. However, I do use WestHost.com and love the fact that I often get the same (American) tech guy when I call with a question. Not to mention I consider them inexpensive.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Here's my complaint with GoDaddy: the inexpensive packages don't give you command-line access to the server. That makes it very difficult (or impossible) to do certain installation operations if you're using client-side programs like PHP (or programs that run under PHP.) FWIW, I use phpwebhosting.com, and command line access seems to be no problem for them...

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default Jumpline Is The Way To Go

Jumpline at: http://www.jumpline.com/

I have been a customer for many years. Sale going on now. Free domain registration when opening an account.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Why not consider hosting with Whiteblaze? Assuming they're still offering this service. If you're not going to be super high traffic, they might be ideal. PM ATTroll if he or Sgt Rock doesn't spot this thread.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

I have a question. If all of my stuff's on Trail Journals, text and pictures, and I decided to set up my own site, can I duplicate what's already been posted on TJs into my new site with a few additions(not lifted directly, just retyped/reposted)? In effect, I'd have two sites with the same info on each . . . Thanks.

OR, if TJs ever went bust, could I start over again with my own site using my stored archive of trips, etc?

Sure, you can post your stuff anywhere you want to.

Anything stored or archived on your computer, you can put in a page.

GoDaddy is the way to go as well, but if you decide on a 'name', but it IMMEDIATELY, if you type it in , and go back in a half hour - BEWARE - it most possibly will by gone by folks with bots who "kite" names, GoDaddy is the worst for this.
    ad astra per aspera

Checkout this site;

http://postholer.com/

It is PCT specific, and quite cool! Free too.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Sure, you can post your stuff anywhere you want to.

Anything stored or archived on your computer, you can put in a page.

GoDaddy is the way to go as well, but if you decide on a 'name', but it IMMEDIATELY, if you type it in , and go back in a half hour - BEWARE - it most possibly will by gone by folks with bots who "kite" names, GoDaddy is the worst for this.
    Could you repeat the last sentence?

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used these guys for 7 or 8 years.

No surprises.

A simple FTP site is hosted at $5.95 per month. Not sure if that is still a good deal these days. They used to be among the cheapest.

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/

Journal Entries
    Images

I just checked out go daddy.

Looks like I have been getting hosed.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I have a question. If all of my stuff's on Trail Journals, text and pictures, and I decided to set up my own site, can I duplicate what's already been posted on TJs into my new site with a few additions(not lifted directly, just retyped/reposted)? In effect, I'd have two sites with the same info on each . . . Thanks.
    You own the copyright on anything you write, and any pictures you take, without any need to register that. But TrailJournals has a terms of service, which you've agreed to when you created your account. In those terms of service, TrailJournals may claim copyright over anything you publish on their site. TrailJournals itself has copyright over the look of its site.

It doesn't look like TrailJournals' terms currently makes any copyright claim over your postings, so you're in the clear there. You could repost your journal verbatim if you like. They do reserve the right to change their terms of service, so check back.

I think the only thing they'd really object to is duplicating the look of their site on your new site. As long as it looks different, even if the basic format is the same, you're probably ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Could you repeat the last sentence?
    I think "but it immediately" is supposed to read "buy it immediately". What he's describing is a kind of cyber-squatting. Somebody notices you've searched on a domain name, and didn't buy it. So they buy it, thinking that if you want it really bad, you'll pay them more for it.

Default Embeded Website Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bewildered View Post
    I am doing another thru hike this coming may (on the PCT this time) and would like to keep a site a bit more personalized then just a trailjournals.com site.
    Postholer.Com allows you to embed your journal into your website and have all the powerful postholer features available that other sites don't have; like updating your journal text/photos via email/pockemail/blackberry, whatever.

Here's a journal demo with integrated map:
    http://postholer.com/journal/demo.html

Here's info on embeding your journal into your web site:
    http://postholer.com/journal/help.php#embed

Once you get your site set up, all you have to do is email your entrys or add/edit your entrys from a web form. No Frontpage, no editors, nothing.

Hope that helps!
    -postholer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    You own the copyright on anything you write, and any pictures you take, without any need to register that....
    Whoa! While you may own the copyright, you can also assuredly give it away, by not posting the required copyright symbol and date and "all rights reserved." So there's a big "rest of the story" to what you said.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Whoa! While you may own the copyright, you can also assuredly give it away, by not posting the required copyright symbol and date and "all rights reserved." So there's a big "rest of the story" to what you said.
    Copyright is a very complicated subject, yes, but otherwise this is false. You've just given one of the standard myths about copyright. The copyright symbol and date and "all rights reserved" are NOT necessary to create or preserve your copyright. (They do strengthen the protections of the law, so it's not a bad thing to have.)

In most cases, a copyright owner must be very explicit to give away a copyright. As a copyright owner, you can place your creation in the public domain, essentially abandoning all rights, but you must state this in writing somewhere.

Similarly, terms-of-service contracts may contain language to the effect that copyrights are transferred from one party to the other. (Whiteblaze's own terms include the statement "Posts become the copyright property of WhiteBlaze. Please don’t use them elsewhere. Please don’t post items here that are copyrighted elsewhere.") Whether this actually transfers the copyrights may be up for debate.

To sum up: Copyright is complicated. Very complicated. If you have copyright questions, do the research to find your answers, or talk to a lawyer specializing in such things. There are lots of good resources online.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Sly will probably drop his head in here.....
    You called? I'm lazy and would just use Postholer from the trail. Once I got back I'd consider of doing my own website/domain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++