WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sleeping bag condensation issues

I am a nose breather, not a mouth breather. So, in the cooler weather (cooler than 40* or so) I've noticed some serious condensation issues on the outside of my bag, primarily around my face. The first few nights in my cold weather bag I noticed excessive moisture inside the bag, but quickly learned that was because of my breath. I am a nose breather, not a mouth breather. So, I orient my nose to be in the face opening and allow the warm moist air to escape. BUT, condensation routinely forms around the outside of my bag near my nose. It doesn't soak through the outershell, but is still bothersome.

To fix this I have been closing my bag around my neck, and wearing a knit cap to keep my head warm. I've been warm enough, but still have the condensation issue near wherever my nose is.

Any thoughts?

Images

Clothes pen over nose!

I can't say as that I've ever had that issue. But then, I use a 4 season tent year round, and vent or zip up according to the temperature, which means it has to get in the low twenties for me to even have to zip up my sleeping bag. Most of the time, I just stick my feet in the bottom and drape it over me.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

put a bandana over the area and let the condensation form on that???

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    I am a nose breather, not a mouth breather. So, in the cooler weather (cooler than 40* or so) I've noticed some serious condensation issues on the outside of my bag, primarily around my face. The first few nights in my cold weather bag I noticed excessive moisture inside the bag, but quickly learned that was because of my breath. I am a nose breather, not a mouth breather. So, I orient my nose to be in the face opening and allow the warm moist air to escape. BUT, condensation routinely forms around the outside of my bag near my nose. It doesn't soak through the outershell, but is still bothersome.

To fix this I have been closing my bag around my neck, and wearing a knit cap to keep my head warm. I've been warm enough, but still have the condensation issue near wherever my nose is.

Any thoughts?
    ===========================================

Well ...it doesn't sound like the source of the problem is fixable so you are on the "damage control" side of the equation - right ??

My suggestion would be to spray your sleeping bag with a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) treatment like Tectron

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...34374302877853

I started using it on my down bag because ocassionally the foot end rubs up against my silnylon tent which often has some condensation on it.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Saimyoji,
    I have had the same issues - I usually do not zip up my head unless it is approaching zero. I go the same route of wearing a knit cap to bed and zipping up to the top of my chest. Using 2 sleeping pads helps (CC foam on bottom and Thermarest on top of it) to keep me warmer.
    I also keep a candle lantern burning when it is really, really cold.

In subzero weather, I usually use a VBL on trips longer than 2 nights to keep the rest of my bag dry, but I just deal with the condensation at the chin area. I find that as the day warms up to zero or so, the moisture will migrate into the bag and it won't be so bad the next night or beyond.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

That same thing happened to me when I used my bag last weekend!

I don't think it matters whether you breath out of your nose or mouth.

Sooo is this bad thing that this happens to us????

1. The bag is new from Marmot and contains a silicon DWR treatment so the bag does not soak up moisture from my breath, as I stated. Thanks slogger, but that was one of the first things I checked....no soaking up problem...the condensation can be easily wiped off...which is how I've been dealing with this as I notice it. (often I'm sleeping while condesation is building, so I can't wipe it as often as I'd like ) - I also invert and air out my bag after each use (including compressing the old air out and allowing new air to be "absorbed in."

2. My sleeping pads are a blue wallyworld CCF with a Insulmat X-Lite Thermo on top.

3. I'm sleeping in a Big Angnes Seedhouse 1. Condensation inside the tent is nonexistent. The only place I find condensation is on the "Nose side of where I'm sleeping," and goes away when I roll over and sleep on the other side for a while.

Again, so far I haven't found it affects the performance of my bag (since it isn't seeking into the bag) but it does bother me as it is wet, and sometimes I need to reach outside of the bag (like to reposition my pillow, or reset the timer on my radio....)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    ....but it does bother me as it is wet, and sometimes I need to reach outside of the bag (like to reposition my pillow, or reset the timer on my radio....)
    Solution. you need to get your butt up to some colder climates so it freezes instantly and won't be wet anymore!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

It happens to me all the time in the winter, the price I pay for cocooning all night long in a zipped up bag. In fact, often the entire top surface of the bag will be moist, but most especially around the top drawstring area as you mentioned.

It's purely surface moisture, or at least for me it has no affect on bag performance later the next night. It also has to do with air humidity and wind conditions. Wind is a good thing in the winter, it keeps things dry and that goes for tent condensation and the wetness due to exhalations, etc.

A bigger problem is the foot of a bag getting wet from contact with a wet or frozen tent. This can be fixed by putting a zipped up rain jacket over the foot of the bag, and I do this regularly in the winter when the air is saturated.

OR you could do what my girlfriend occasionally tells me to do: stop breathing.

Images

One solution to this problem would be to stop breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It happens to me all the time in the winter, the price I pay for cocooning all night long in a zipped up bag. In fact, often the entire top surface of the bag will be moist, but most especially around the top drawstring area as you mentioned.

It's purely surface moisture, or at least for me it has no affect on bag performance later the next night. It also has to do with air humidity and wind conditions. Wind is a good thing in the winter, it keeps things dry and that goes for tent condensation and the wetness due to exhalations, etc.

A bigger problem is the foot of a bag getting wet from contact with a wet or frozen tent. This can be fixed by putting a zipped up rain jacket over the foot of the bag, and I do this regularly in the winter when the air is saturated.

OR you could do what my girlfriend occasionally tells me to do: stop breathing.

Its been suggested, but bilateraly rejected as she'd actually have to get a job herself.

It sounds like we're experiencing similar conditions. I've yet to have condensation anywhere else on the bag but around the face. I have to keep the rain fly on my tent as precipitation has been a daily possibility. My older Eureka Timberlite had cross ventilation during any weather and thus probably allowed any moisture to evaporate before condensing.

I've mentioned elsewhere this is my first experience with a "cold weather" bag and am trying to flush out the techniques. Thanks for all your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    put a bandana over the area and let the condensation form on that???
    I think the Frolicking D has the answer. Either a cotton bandana, or a cotton flannel towellete, or a wool scarf. In the Canadian Forces we had these green wool squarish scarves which were perfect. When it is really cold you could lay them over your faces, perhaps with a small breathing hole. When not so cold you could just tuck them in and lay them over the vulnerable part of your sleeping bag. You might use velcro or something to keep it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think the Frolicking D has the answer. Either a cotton bandana, or a cotton flannel towellete, or a wool scarf. In the Canadian Forces we had these green wool squarish scarves which were perfect. When it is really cold you could lay them over your faces, perhaps with a small breathing hole. When not so cold you could just tuck them in and lay them over the vulnerable part of your sleeping bag. You might use velcro or something to keep it in place.
    I think the HAEadventure guys had something along those lines, a very thin silk screen that fitted over the head, sort of like mosquito netting. The problem with such an arrangement, and it goes with the problem of cinching the hood drawstring around the face tightly, is that thru the night your face could/will end up on the backside of the blowhole, resulting in mild suffocation and panic. One time I had the whole thing cinched so tight there was a half dollar size hole for my mouth to breath. About 3 in the morning I woke up in some kind of Tales of the Crypt casket, the blowhole was on the back of my neck so I flopped about in a panic until somehow pulling free. Unpleasant.

i have the same problem. i bought a neoprene face gaiter. lets me keep my face out of the bag and keeps my nose warm. here's a link:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

Images

Saimyoji,
    I too lament the passing of my old Timberlite and the crossbreeze - rainfree ventilation it provided. I remain hopeful that Eureka will produce them again. I still look on ebay to see if one will show up one of these days... but until then I have my alpenlite to keep me company (at least in the winter).

I've had the same problem. I now wear a Buff over my face. Came across this solution because I just don't like feeling cold air on my face and found that in my sleep, I was sliding way down inside my bag and breathing in the bag all night. That was REALLY a problem! So now I just pull a thin Buff over my face. I find that the buff doesn't get wet, but other people have had problems with it, particularly guys with beards. One would assume the buff needs to be flat up against one's face so as to eliminate air spaces.

It works for me, anyway.

Images

its a way of life when cold camping..heavy breathing will cause the buildup..maybe a sleeping bag skirt would work[gore]..maybe like a backpack cover but on your bag for the moisture purpose only...attatch it with velcro to the front rim of your sleeping bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Not a problem yet, ventilation in my BA is pretty good. It was about 13 last night with light snow/freezing rain, so I buckled down the fly real tight. Only a hint of frozen condensation at the head end.

Quote Originally Posted by DSoTM View Post
    Solution. you need to get your butt up to some colder climates so it freezes instantly and won't be wet anymore!!!
    Well, I take the temp. where it comes to me. So far hasn't been quite that cold, though slowly getting there. The condensation last night had frozen in some spots, worrying me that it might degrade the DWR, allowing moisture inside the bag. Fortunately I'm airing out my bag in a warm house each day.

I did pick up a cheap Wally world balaclava that will hopefully do two things: eliminate the cap, catch some moisture. As no snow/rain is forecast tonite, I may sleep with the fly off. That should be fun for the neighbors.

.....Happens to me, too.

.....Never gave it a second thought.

.....Will take time to do that someday.

Until then, will allow bag to dry and stuff it away.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++