WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Default Should the AT be moved?

The question: Should the AT be moved from areas that are ecologically sensitive and areas that are overcrowded?

This question came to my mind during the discussion of stealth camping and the reasons given by those who feel adhering to the letter of the law is an absolute must. Since we all know that everyone isn't going to camp where they are told, perhaps it would be better if the AT and its annual crowd of thru and section hikers were not routed through these areas.

Let me make it clear I am not saying move every mile of the trail -- only those that are currently in eco-sensitive areas and those that are massively overcrowded.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-01-2007 at 21:01. Reason: clarity

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Well personally ...I'd like to see it moved a little closer to Wyoming !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Where you gonna move it to? The corridor is already precious narrow in most places, and it's already hemmed in by roads and housing developments everywhere else...

Images

Move it to where? Yes, the amount of people is an issue. No, people dont always follow the rules. I dont see any place to move it, unless you make an urban trail out of it. So who then gets to use the scenic areas of the trail? Only those who promise to follow the rules?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Terrapin, I am mainly concerned about the ecologically sensitive areas and the overcrowded areas. The most overcrowded areas are GSMNP and the Whites - alternatives exist in those areas.

Images

move it north to south, so it's not so far between Maine and Ga, Who really needs Pennsylvania and West VA anyway?? LOL

I think what's best for the ecology is what should happen.

Images

It gets moved all the time by relocations. Sometimes only a few feet and sometimes significantly like the relocation done over the last few years south of moreland gap; and sometimes it adds 4 1/2 miles to the trail.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

How do you control the amount of people in any given area? Charge admission? All areas are ecologically sensitive... every square foot is its own micro-climate.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Exactly, Lugnut. How hard do you think it would be to get the ATC to consider offering an alternative to the current route thru the GSMNP and the Whites -- and maybe an alternative to Baxter.

Images

Cuff, while that is true in theory, in fact some areas are far more sensitive than others. I know from experience that some areas could be stealth camped without much damage - others would be devastated according to some in the stealth camping thread so maybe the AT needs to not go thru those areas????

Images

I say move the towns/easy access trailheads and people further away from the trail.

I dont know where it would be moved, would be nice to protect the fragile areas more.

There is absolutely no problem with the A.T. being where it is and the suggestion of moving it is ludicrous at best. The only hikers who have problems with where the trail is now would have problems with it wherever it goes.

As to going thru 'sensitive' areas like GSMNP, the Whites, and Baxter, there is no problem with the trail, just with some hikers who won't respect the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Terrapin, I am mainly concerned about the ecologically sensitive areas and the overcrowded areas. The most overcrowded areas are GSMNP and the Whites - alternatives exist in those areas.
    Well, I'll at least suggest that "serial" thru hikers consider taking blue-blazes through those areas after having walked the official route once or twice. But I'm a hypocrite... I've walked the Franconia Ridge umpteen times, and hope to walk it umpteen more times.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    There is absolutely no problem with the A.T. being where it is and the suggestion of moving it is ludicrous at best. The only hikers who have problems with where the trail is now would have problems with it wherever it goes.

As to going thru 'sensitive' areas like GSMNP, the Whites, and Baxter, there is no problem with the trail, just with some hikers who won't respect the trail.
    TOF, what would be wrong with changing the offical AT route from the current one to less used BMT or better yet making both routes available to those seeking 2000 miler status.

Images

Exactly, Lugnut. How hard do you think it would be to get the ATC to consider offering an alternative to the current route thru the GSMNP and the Whites -- and maybe an alternative to Baxter.
    There already is an option pointed out many times before. If it doesn't suit you, don't hike it.

End your A.T. hike at Abol Bridge. Take a good look at Katahdin and think how silly you are being before you go home.

Frolicking Dinosaurs-"TOF, what would be wrong with changing the offical AT route from the current one to less used BMT or better yet making both routes available to those seeking 2000 miler status."
    Frolicking Dinosaurs what would be wrong with leaving the official AT route as the current one and letting hikers choose if they want to blue blaze, as many have done for years. Some are using the BMT already. To suggest moving the trail away from some of the most spectacular scenery in the east makes no sense at all. If you want to walk around the Whites on interstate highways and back roads, go ahead, I certainly won't be one to stop you.

Images

SOG, have you ever wondered how the changes to the current AT route come about?

Images

While I have never hiked in the Whites it wouldn't bother me much if they had a shuttle service around the Smokies. Too many people and too many restrictions.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

TOF, are you saying tramp right on thru this sensitive area - it is your right because it is scenic?

Hmmm I95 will help get you there faster....

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++