Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default a question for past thru-hikers...

    especially in the last 6 years or so.

    has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

    im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2004
    Location
    Grafton, NH
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,477

    Default a question for past thru-hikers...

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    especially in the last 6 years or so.

    has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

    im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.
    --------No---------

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    31,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    especially in the last 6 years or so.

    has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

    im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.
    no plan needed. just get off and get home

  4. #4
    Registered User Pootz's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2004
    Location
    Lock Haven, PA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    427
    Images
    10

    Default

    I agree with the idea that there is no need to plan for this type of problem. If you had a plan in place it would make it to easy to just quit for other reasons. For all the normal problems you will encounter on the trail proper planning and the kindness of others will take care of everything.
    Pootz 07

  5. #5
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    56
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Never even considered it, actually. And it was nice as well to have a break from the news. Though we did hear about the Va Tech tragedy on the trail. Our hearts went out to the people in our state.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  6. #6

    Default

    no plan but alot of times while up north in wilderness, I / we have sat around the campfire and discussed the idea that what if a major war / nuclear disaster or biological disaster happened while out there....makes you wonder what you are returning to!

    geek
    ps. usually it stays in the back of your mind until you come out and see others driving normal or the arrival of the float plane.

  7. #7
    Registered User A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,027
    Images
    10

    Default

    If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

    Unless that's what you're looking for.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

  8. #8

    Default

    uhhh....i was talking about some sort of societal disaster... not whether the train or the bus was best for getting me home in time for gramma's funeral.

    on the other hand, if denver and houston went up in mushroom clouds maybe the best thing would be to just put your head down and keep walking. just thinking out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

    Unless that's what you're looking for.

  9. #9

    Default

    Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. You'll like it. Post apocalyptic hike - sorta. Won the Pulitzer recently.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

  10. #10
    modern gypsy sloopjonboswell's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-21-2007
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    342
    Images
    11

    Default

    hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.
    hey hey, my my

  11. #11
    First Sergeant SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,864
    Images
    248

    Default

    Report to the nearest Armory.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

    My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

    BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

    NO SNIVELING

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sloopjonboswell View Post
    hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.
    Cleaning off my keyboard. . . again.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2003
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    69
    Posts
    520
    Images
    15

    Default plan

    "No plan ever survived contact with the enemy"
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

  14. #14

    Default

    thanks for the input. i think i could have phrased my question better. but i think i have my decision. i will bury plastic gallon paint can near springer with the maps to follow the pinhoti and florida trail back home. that way, if civilization falls i can prey on other hikers all the way back south to home.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •