WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default a question for past thru-hikers...

especially in the last 6 years or so.

has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.

Default a question for past thru-hikers...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post

has anyone ever made a plan for getting off the trail and getting home...or somewhere...if things went to hell while you were hiking? another 9/11, an economic collapse, etc.

im not trying to start a firestorm here....just wondering if anyone had ever given it serious planning.
    --------No---------

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post

no plan needed. just get off and get home

Images

I agree with the idea that there is no need to plan for this type of problem. If you had a plan in place it would make it to easy to just quit for other reasons. For all the normal problems you will encounter on the trail proper planning and the kindness of others will take care of everything.
    Pootz 07

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Never even considered it, actually. And it was nice as well to have a break from the news. Though we did hear about the Va Tech tragedy on the trail. Our hearts went out to the people in our state.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

no plan but alot of times while up north in wilderness, I / we have sat around the campfire and discussed the idea that what if a major war / nuclear disaster or biological disaster happened while out there....makes you wonder what you are returning to!

geek
    ps. usually it stays in the back of your mind until you come out and see others driving normal or the arrival of the float plane.

Images

If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

Unless that's what you're looking for.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

uhhh....i was talking about some sort of societal disaster... not whether the train or the bus was best for getting me home in time for gramma's funeral.

on the other hand, if denver and houston went up in mushroom clouds maybe the best thing would be to just put your head down and keep walking. just thinking out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    If you're gonna make it 2170 miles you need to adopt a hell or high water attitude that your gonna do just about ANYTHING to keep going and stay on the trail. This isn't meant to be taken personal, but if you're already hatching what-if exit plans, chances are, something minor's gonna throw you off trail.

Unless that's what you're looking for.

Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. You'll like it. Post apocalyptic hike - sorta. Won the Pulitzer recently.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.
    hey hey, my my

Images

Report to the nearest Armory.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by sloopjonboswell View Post
    hunting hikers after the ***** hits the fan would be a great way to get by. every time you bag a thru hiker, you get pre-prepared meals and lots of groovy survival gear.
    Cleaning off my keyboard. . . again.

Images

Default plan

"No plan ever survived contact with the enemy"
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

thanks for the input. i think i could have phrased my question better. but i think i have my decision. i will bury plastic gallon paint can near springer with the maps to follow the pinhoti and florida trail back home. that way, if civilization falls i can prey on other hikers all the way back south to home.

++ New Posts ++