WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Reporting Trail problems on the Benton MacKaye Trail Work Management System

Benton MacKaye Trail Hikers!

Ever hike through an area and go "Damn, that was a big blow down. I wonder if they know about that?" Well now if you hike the BMT and come across a trail maintenance issue, you can do the maintainers a favor and tell them...

The Benton MacKaye Trail has a new system for tracking and reporting maintenance issues. http://www.bmta.org/BMTAwork.php

You can go here and check the section you hiked to see if a problem is on the list of work to be done, and if it isn't - you can submit a work order for the maintainer so he or she can get out and take care of it. This system also lets folks know if there is maintenance that needs to be done. So if there is an outing planned for maintenance to a section - you can know ahead of time what you are going to be asked to do.

Check it out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Good deal.

Makes it easier and more effecient for everyone involved.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

That Rock is a marvel of efficiency, ain't he? He would've made a good SGM!

Images

Well I cannot take any credit for this one at all. This is the brain child of Bill Ristom. He is a very efficient guy at many things. Nice fella too.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

it would be even more efficient if whoever reports has to do the clean up (obviously reveal the latter requirement after the report)

El Sordo
    Images

Well Whitefoot, your idea has been somewhat applied. I reported an issue on the Big Frog trail awhile back and got an invitation to go on the next work trip.

What's with the weosdfl barrage?

Anyway, Sgt Rock, I serously considered notifying appropriate BMT maintainers about various blowdowns and finally decided against it cuz the blowdowns keep out the horseback riders and the ATVs. Just my take on the situation.

Images

I generally agree with Tipi, but on my sections of the BMT I hiked a couple weeks ago, the horses just went around the ones I seen.

I personally accept blowdowns as part of the natural process, but at the same time I understand maintaining access. I think in some ways blowdowns give us reason for pause, to reflect on the powerful forces at work around us that we cannot control, and remind us to be aware of widow makers at camp.
    Just my take on it, it's okay if someone tells me to just shut up!

The BMT is special to me, many years ago while camping on the Hiawassee section I was invited by a fisherman to join him, he leant me an extra pole to fish with and showed me what to do. He was fishing/camping alone and wanted some company I guess. I was immediately hooked, and have carried a pole on my backpacking trips ever since.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tipi Walter View Post
    what's With The Weosdfl Barrage?

Anyway, Sgt Rock, I Serously Considered Notifying Appropriate Bmt Maintainers About Various Blowdowns And Finally Decided Against It Cuz The Blowdowns Keep Out The Horseback Riders And The Atvs. Just My Take On The Situation.

Bingo !!!
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Most of the TN/NC section of the BMT has been logged, brushed out and blazed during this past year. Except we are still not allowed to blaze in the wilderness areas, but this might change in the future. There Cherokee National Forest is considering our request to allow at least some blazing in wilderness. A new trail guide is about to be published on the TN/NC section of the BMT with each 5-10 mile section on a two page spread with a map, profile, access points, water sources and campsites (all with GPS locations) and a description of the section of the trail. The guide will be 48 pages long, printed on waterproof paper in color with lots of nice photos and will be about 4x11 inches in size, easy to fit in your pants pocket or pack side pocket behind your water bottle. When it is published it will be available on the www.bmta.org website and at most REIs and other outdoor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    I personally accept blowdowns as part of the natural process, but at the same time I understand maintaining access. I think in some ways blowdowns give us reason for pause, to reflect on the powerful forces at work around us that we cannot control, and remind us to be aware of widow makers at camp.
    Just my take on it, it's okay if someone tells me to just shut up!

The BMT is special to me, many years ago while camping on the Hiawassee section I was invited by a fisherman to join him, he leant me an extra pole to fish with and showed me what to do. He was fishing/camping alone and wanted some company I guess. I was immediately hooked, and have carried a pole on my backpacking trips ever since.
    OK, trouthunter, I'm biting on this one. I would like to know what setup you used when you fished and where the honey holes were? I promise I won't tell anyone...

Images

FWIW, the maintenance reporting system is currently off line. There were some issues with the system and the programmer that developed it is no longer available to address it. If you find a problem on the trail, you can use this form to submit the problem and it will go to the appropriate person in charge of that section.

http://www.bmta.org/ContactUs.php

That said, we have had people report things like lack of a sign at a trailhead as an issue, or reports lack of blazing in places we are not allowed to blaze. Believe me, we want those signs, but the DOT, Forrest Service, Park Service, or whoever owns that part of the trail make the rules and we just follow them.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

El Sordo
    Images

understand that there are layers of officialdom to deal with. also different agendas. several years ago I think the FS decided to close the Big Creek Trail. I found the cairn where the sign had been posted and found the sign off in the bushes. I put the sign back up and went on my merry way, but the next time I came through there someone had disappeared the sign altogether.

When I reported the sign missing where the BMT forks off the Big Frog Trail north of Chimney Top I was invited to replace it myself. That was when I kinda decided the reporting process was more for appearances then actual maintenance.

That being said, I did just join the BMTA via paypal.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Thanks for joining.

I wonder who was in charge of TN/NC when you reported that?

There are new signs in the area, but I think the wood must me treated with gravy because all the new signs seem to invite bears to eat them.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I was able to map it out in DeLorm. If the bypass exists, then round trip the short hike will be about 17.5 miles. If it doesn't, then the hike would be about 24 miles round trip. According to the maps in DeLorm it does exist though.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Reporting Trail problems on the Benton MacKaye Trail Work Management System

Should you carry a folding saw or machete on this trail? I always need something in wilderness areas, especially Linville Gorge.

Images

Naw, we do pretty well keeping the BMT open. If you were hiking some other trail in the Slickrock Wilderness it would probably be a good idea. It can be like a jungle off the BMT in there.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

The guidebook looks awesome. Thanks!

How do most people report these? I don't carry a GPS and the maps I use do not have the military coordinates I am used to. Would something like, " one hour walk south from the XX campsite, a few thousand meters past XX Gap be sufficient?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++