WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ouachita trail

Default Ouachita trail

Anyone interested in doing some hiking on the Ouachita trail around the beginning of January? I plan on using this trail as my shakedown, and thoroughly believe in HYOH, but I'd love to meet people on the trail if you're in the area

The whole thing or just part and when exactly are you thinking?

i may be. what specific dates?

I don't have an exact date, or a total distance (I'm pretty much a seat of the pants type of person)

Most likely it would be before the 5th of January, I'd probably start on the east end and start walking towards home

I'm thinking that a week is all that I can spare at this time, and I might have a college friend with me, who is probably too out of shape to do much more than 12 miles a day (especially with the light situation)

i dont knwo how far you can go on that trail in a week. i had thought about rehiking the caprock canyon trail. but it would be nice to go somewhere new.
    a week is about all i could give myself. as your plans firm let me know. of course i would prefer to walk towared teh west too.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Most likely it would be before the 5th of January, I'd probably start on the east end and start walking towards home
    I was considering this trail for a winter hike. I wanna test out the new winter gear and clothes.

How far east are you thinking about starting?

How well marked (blazed) is the Ouchita Trail?

well, i will keep checking this thread. im up for just about anything after jan 1. i would like to do as much hiking as possible as opposed to driving so the closer to north texas the better, but let me know.
    mtntrail, ever do the caprock canyon trailway?

So happy to see some interest in the Ouachita trail. I've hiked on the Westernmost part of it. Once in the Fall and once in the start of summer just past. There's an org that gives trail condition reports but it isn't real frequently updated:

http://www.friendsot.org/

They are currently doing trail maintanance at this time. Should be nicer from the Eastern end. There are shelters on the Eastern end through Arkansas also. I'm interested in a little hiking in January. Also, I'm interested in parking vehicles at different sections. and hiking to them. I will be in Oregon until Dec 30, then returning to North Texas. Could possibly hike from New Years day.
    Last edited by beeman; 12-10-2007 at 18:54. Reason: add link

Ok, so tentative dates for my being out there Jan4-11. I don't know where I'm starting right now, I gotta plan mileage and what not, but that won't happen till the end of Dec.

Like I said earlier, this guy hasn't hiked in years, and I just came off of a herniated disk, so I dunno what our mileages are gonna be like.

Anyone else still thinking about being out there?

I have relatives out there that I was planning on visiting, so I might join you. I won't know if those dates work yet. Low milage if ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Ok, so tentative dates for my being out there Jan4-11.
    Anyone else still thinking about being out there?
    That week knocks me out. Lookin at end of January. You folks have a good time.

johnnyquest, yes, we did the trails in the Caprock S.P. with family two years ago. Tough on the Upper Canyon Trail but great views.

Default Ot In Jan

I will plan to be out there during those dates, hiking from East to West. Trail name of beeman.

++ New Posts ++