WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default I need help reaching the AT.....

Hi everyone my names Amber I live here in Georgia. I set off yesterday evening trying to get to the Forest Service road 42 so I could begin my hike, cutting off the initial miles before the actual start. Well I couldnt find it lol Heres a list of the directions I used :

2: Turn LEFT onto CENTERVILLE HWY SW / GA-124. Continue to follow GA-124 E. 6.6 miles Map

3: Turn LEFT onto SUGARLOAF PKWY SW. 2.2 miles Map

4: Turn RIGHT onto LAWRENCEVILLE SUWANEE RD SW. 10.1 miles Map

5: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto SUWANEE DAM RD NW / SUWANEE DAM RD NE. Continue to follow SUWANEE DAM RD NW. 5.0 miles Map

6: Turn LEFT onto CUMMING HWY NE / GA-20. Continue to follow GA-20 W. 5.9 miles Map

7: Merge onto GA-400 N / US-19 N. 6.4 miles Map

8: Turn LEFT onto BROWNS BRIDGE RD / GA-369. 1.0 miles Map

9: Turn RIGHT onto DAHLONEGA HWY / GA-9. 6.3 miles Map

10: Keep LEFT at the fork to go on GA-9 / GA-9 S. 5.5 miles Map

11: Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto SHOAL CREEK RD / GA-136 SPUR. 2.6 miles Map

12: SHOAL CREEK RD / GA-136 SPUR becomes GA-136. 8.7 miles Map

13: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto GA-183 / ELLIOTT FAMILY PKWY. 1.1 miles Map

14: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GA-52. 1.5 miles Map

15: Turn LEFT onto HIGH SHOALS RD. <0.1 miles Map

16: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto SERVICE RD. 1.0 miles Map

There are .11 miles between your ending location and the end of your driving directions. Use maps to get from your ending location to the end of your route.

THIS IS ANOTHER ONE I TOOK WITH ME!

The shortest approach involves driving north of Springer to where the A.T. crosses USFS Road #42, then hiking south on the white-blazed A.T. one mile to the summit of Springer Mountain.
    Directions: From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.
    Alternate directions: From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.

ANOTHER ONE LOL!

Easiest Route:
    Turn right when leaving Amicalola Falls State Park and follow Highway 52 for about 13.6 miles. When you see a power substation (resistors, transformers, etc) on the left and Cartacay Church on the right, turn right onto Roy Road (it was signed when I was there last). Follow Roy Road for 9.7 miles. You will go thru one stop sign and will turn right on Doublehead Gap Road at the second stop sign. Follow this road approximately 2.2 miles until you see Mt. Pleasant Church on your left. Turn right on the dirt road directly across from the church (Forest Service Road 42 is unsigned). You should see a large sign indicating that this is the entrance to the Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area and another sign "Springer Mt. 6.5 miles". Follow the dirt road 6.5 miles to a parking area on your left with a sign saying ”National Forest Fee Area” (it costs $2.00 to park here). The Appalachian Trail to Springer Mountain is across the road from the parking area. The trail to the summit of Springer Mountain is .09 miles (one-way).
    This route is suitable for most passenger vehicles. However, at certain times of year (usually winter) high clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended.
    Total distance from Amicalola Falls State Park: about 32.5 miles
    Travel time is approximately 45 minutes to one hour.

I did find 52 I remember and I found the blue ridge wildlife managment area, There was several signs on the "right" as I went down a small paved road when I thought I was there I did see a sign saying springer mountain 10 miles on the right and a few before and after that saying other things on the right but I kept going straight and the road became dirt.

I kept going on this dirt road to the end as it winded around and up a big mountain. At the top of the mountain " well atleast as far as my car would go lol" there was a plaque in memory of a man and his friend who had died in a plane crash near by or on the mountain there.

To the leftish of the plaque there was a trail anda blue blaze on the tree as I followed it up a short way freezing, it was gettting dark on me by then and I didnt wanna keep following it without my backpack, " I was freezing lol" so i turned and went back to my car and drove down the never ending dirt road again , on the way out the signs were of course to my left saying the diffrent things but I never went down them roads they were longer and it was late .... I was wondering is there any one here that knows which of these roads were the right one " if any " and if I was not even close were should I have gone?

I thank everyone in advance for there help.....
    Amber
    Amber

Are you beginning a thru-hike? Good luck either way.

Just Jim

i could drive it if i were there, but can't picture off the top of my head the right way to go...

but, the place where you found the plaque in memory of the plane crash is called nimbelwill gap. it is just over 2 miles south of springer mountain via the approach trail (the blue blazed trail you walked on briefly).

my brother dropped me off at nimbelwill gap a little over seven years ago to start walking north. that was the beginning of quite and adventure.....
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

I was last there in April, but your "easiest route" sounds right to me.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Default yeppers

Yes I am starting my thru hike Jim and thanks....
    Amber

Images

Quote Originally Posted by georgia_girl_live View Post

its going to be cold starting a thru this early good luck and be careful neo

Be careful and good luck. Call Josh and Leigh Saint at the hiker hostel in Dahlonega if you need help in that area. (770) 312-7342

Images

WOW!!! Good Luck!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

I would take the easiest route. It is the easiest, with the least amount of gravel/dirt roads. I have never seen it when it wasn't passable in any vehicle. You ended up on the approach trail.The other way is east on 52 from Amicilola to Nimblewell Rd. Take a left just past Nimblewell Church on FS 28 then a lefton FS 77 to FS 42 then left to the AT. This is a long slow ride.

I remember nimblewell church, is the fs roads signed or are they just dirt roads and what did ya mean I ended up on the appraoch trail ? when I got to the plaque ya mean hun ?
    Amber

Images

Yes, the plaque of the crash is on the approach trail. I believe the roads were signed last time I went that way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Easiest Route:
    Turn right when leaving Amicalola Falls State Park and follow Highway 52 for about 13.6 miles. When you see a power substation (resistors, transformers, etc) on the left and Cartacay Church on the right, turn right onto Roy Road (it was signed when I was there last). Follow Roy Road for 9.7 miles. You will go thru one stop sign and will turn right on Doublehead Gap Road at the second stop sign. Follow this road approximately 2.2 miles until you see Mt. Pleasant Church on your left. Turn right on the dirt road directly across from the church (Forest Service Road 42 is unsigned). You should see a large sign indicating that this is the entrance to the Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area and another sign "Springer Mt. 6.5 miles". Follow the dirt road 6.5 miles to a parking area on your left with a sign saying ”National Forest Fee Area” (it costs $2.00 to park here). The Appalachian Trail to Springer Mountain is across the road from the parking area. The trail to the summit of Springer Mountain is .09 miles (one-way).
    This route is suitable for most passenger vehicles. However, at certain times of year (usually winter) high clearance four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended.
    This is the 'preferred' route as given from Amicalola Falls SP. The directions are good. Pay attention to the odometer readings and you should be okay. It 'should' be free to park there (at least it was in March). The AT goes right through the parking area. Make sure you head South on the AT to reach the summit of Springer (you walk across FS42 and hike uphill). It is a fairly easy hike. While on Springer, don't forget to sign the register under the rock with the plaque. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Default Starting a NOBO thru hike NOW?!?

Methinks you'll run into snow you can't get past til Feb or March, no later than the Smokies. Will you have snowshoes or crampons? Do you have winter hiking and tent camping experience?

Images

Shes just trying to get to the trail, tad to late to worry about her gear now... she'll adjust it as she goes.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

ANOTHER ONE LOL!

Easiest Route:
    The above is the easiest way to get to usfs 42 parking area. Are you close to I75 and I575 in Atlanta? I find it much quicker from where I live to go this way thru Elijay to get to Springer. Let me know if so and I'll dig out my directions and post (I've been there so many times my car knows the way automatically).

By the way, you were on usfs 28 at Nimblewill Gap. Springer was about 3 miles north of the plaque you saw on the blue blaze approach trail that you were on.

Yep I'm right near I75
    Amber

So sorry bout this everyone I really suck with road directions... I do thank everyone for your responses so far tho
    Amber

I remember nimblewell church, is the fs roads signed or are they just dirt roads and what did ya mean I ended up on the appraoch trail ? when I got to the plaque ya mean hun ?
    This is the Plaque at Nimblewill Gap on the approach trail.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...iginal=1&c=712

Default Hmmm...

So sorry bout this everyone I really suck with road directions... I do thank everyone for your responses so far tho
    How are you with following maps?

yep thats the plaque I was at hun and like I said I went off to the left of it " as your facing it " up the blue blazed trail a lil bit to check it out.....
    Amber

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++