WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand sanitizer

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

No need to spend $$ for Purell. Rubbing alcohol serves the purpose. Just use one of those small containers Campmor sells and put a few ounces in there. Keep the larger bottle in your bounce box. The key to both is to make sure the lids are tight and fit well.

Alcohol on the feet also a good thang.

Personally, I like the wintergreen alcohol, YMMV.

Journal Entries

I'm old fashioned, I know, but I keep a large bar of Ivory soap in my bounce box and cut chunks off as needed. I use it for hands, body, my spoon and pot, occasional laundry, whatever seems critical to wash at the time.

Despite, trail rumors to the contrary, the suds are totally harmless to most things larger than a bacteria, and fully compatible with LNT. I do dump them well away from water bodies, though even that has more to do with aesthetics and political correctness, than environmental necessity.

Weary

I vote for the isopropyl alcohol. A great sanitizer, fire starter, disinfectant for scratches/blisters, cleans ears, cools insect stings, toughens skin, softens callouses, glass cleaner, and probably other things I haven't even thought of yet. All in a tiny bottle.

Any brave souls out there eschew the hand sanitizer? Aside from myself, that is.

I guess my big problem with the sanitizers is that while they kill 99.9% of evil germs, .1% - the sanitizer resistant ones - are left to breed.

I'm willing to bet a little common sense protects better than goo in a plastic bottle.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy the Arab
    Any brave souls out there eschew the hand sanitizer? Aside from myself, that is.

I guess my big problem with the sanitizers is that while they kill 99.9% of evil germs, .1% - the sanitizer resistant ones - are left to breed.

I'm willing to bet a little common sense protects better than goo in a plastic bottle.
    Soap, hand sanitizer, Camp suds, Dr. Bonners. I suspect that they all do about the same. The bottom line is that people get the trots and worse along the trail probably because of poor hygiene. So, for your own health, I suggest that you do something. Soap, Camp suds, and Dr. Bonner all need water. Hand sanitizer doesn't.

Like everything else, there are choices. So, figure out what works for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++