WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: A Son's Promise

  1. #1
    Registered User wildcowboy238's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-10-2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    49
    Posts
    67

    Smile A Son's Promise

    Hello all,,,

    Back in 1996 my mother and I had planned to make the thru hike of the AT in 2000 but she passed away in '98. Since then I had lost my drive to go it alone. She and my cousin hiked a bit of it in '94 and she had told me that she wanted to go and do the whole trail but with me.
    Here it is '07 and my wife told me it was time. Not knowing what to do or how to get started I am sitting here planning to make the trip in '08. At the moment I have absolutely no gear and only the drive to fulfill a promise I made to my Mother at her funeral.
    Over the next few years I plan on hiking all the major trails that my mother wanted us to travel.
    I do know one thing and that is that I need a wall poster of the AT for my wife to place stick pins in ans I make the trip.
    My children are all for this trip and my wife is behind me 100%. So if anyone can give me any kind of advice I would be most greatful.

  2. #2
    I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Join Date
    05-27-2006
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    979
    Images
    1

    Default wall map

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Map-of-Appalachi...QQcmdZViewItem

    go for it and good luck with your planning

  3. #3
    Registered User Tsani's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-25-2007
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I commend you for desire to carry out this commitment to your mom's memory. I hope you have a great hike! She must have been quite a lady to have wanted this for you. This site is full of great advice on what to carry, what not to carry, and how to make your hike a successful and enjoyable one. Check out the articles for "newbies" and the general interest forums. You'll find a lot of stuff to help you.

    Good luck and happy trails!

  4. #4
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcowboy238 View Post
    Hello all,,,

    Back in 1996 my mother and I had planned to make the thru hike of the AT in 2000 but she passed away in '98. Since then I had lost my drive to go it alone. She and my cousin hiked a bit of it in '94 and she had told me that she wanted to go and do the whole trail but with me.
    Here it is '07 and my wife told me it was time. Not knowing what to do or how to get started I am sitting here planning to make the trip in '08. At the moment I have absolutely no gear and only the drive to fulfill a promise I made to my Mother at her funeral.
    Over the next few years I plan on hiking all the major trails that my mother wanted us to travel.
    I do know one thing and that is that I need a wall poster of the AT for my wife to place stick pins in ans I make the trip.
    My children are all for this trip and my wife is behind me 100%. So if anyone can give me any kind of advice I would be most greatful.
    Click on "home", then forums, and then articles. The articles contain the basic information you need.

    Also useful is a free Appalachian Trail Conservancy pamphlet on hiking the trail. Open
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site....BEA0/Home.htm

    Bounce around the site. You will find a lot of good information.

    Weary
    Last edited by weary; 12-10-2007 at 14:24.

  5. #5
    Registered User sonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2006
    Location
    Benbrook, TX
    Age
    69
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Click on "home", then forums, and then articles. The articles contain the basic information you need.

    Also useful is a free Appalachian Trail Conservancy pamphlet on hiking the trail. Open
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site....BEA0/Home.htm

    Bounce around the site. You will find a lot of good information.

    Weary
    You'll also find that map your family wants to use to keep track of your journey. Have fun!!!

  6. #6
    Registered User wildcowboy238's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-10-2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Age
    49
    Posts
    67

    Thumbs up

    Thank you all...I know this will be a wonderful trip and hope to meet many nice people along the way... I will be putting together a gear list to post and I am sure that I will get loads of comments...lol...

  7. #7

    Default

    What a great idea for you to hike. Enjoy yourself, and feel free to get input on gear here, this site is a great resource!
    ad astra per aspera

  8. #8

    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,119
    Images
    620

    Lightbulb

    If I'm not mistaken, you can get the National Park Service (and perhaps the ATC?) to mail you a free NPS AT trail map. I know I've picked them up for free (or a donation) at NPS visitor centers.

    Best wishes to you.

    RainMan

    .
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

    [url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

    .

  9. #9
    Registered User DawnTreader's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-12-2006
    Location
    white lake Michigan
    Age
    41
    Posts
    675
    Images
    44

    Default

    Good Luck, Mothers are wonderful arn't they... You should have a great time planning and preparing on this site.. don't be afraid to ask questions.. and ignore those who tell you your questions are dumb.... Welcome to Whiteblaze....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

  10. #10
    Springer - Front Royal Lilred's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-26-2003
    Location
    White House, TN.
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,100
    Images
    19

    Default

    I know an outfitter in Nashville that gives away the maps for free. They are about four feet tall and roughly eight inches wide. I'd be happy to get one for you and send it to you if you pm me with your address. Gives me a good excuse to go there again......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

  11. #11
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Join Date
    09-24-2006
    Location
    Between Kittery and Fort Kent
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,576
    Images
    3

    Default

    All the power to you, it is great you are fullfilling your promise to your mother.

    All the best,
    Kirby

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-11-2006
    Location
    Fleming, OH
    Age
    58
    Posts
    374
    Images
    211

    Post

    A very fitting tribute and great thing to do.

    This site as well as Ebay is good for gear, as well as the sales at the outfitters. All of the cast of characters here have some good input and are very helpful. Go lightweight and good quality and the rest will fall into place. Good luck!!

  13. #13

    Default

    You say you have no idea how to get started and that you have no gear. I assume you haven't done any multi-day backpacking, then. You might want to start with the smaller step of doing a backpacking hike in your area of a week or less. I know Arizona has trails suited for backpacking, and Arizona is one of the few places you can hike at this time of the year without dealing with freezing temperatures. You can rent equipment at outdoor equipment retailers. A city the size of Tucson must have several.

    See how you like it. If you really don't enjoy it, you have saved yourself money and a lot of emotional capital. If you do like it, your shakedown hike will teach you a great deal about backpacking and you will be better prepared for a long hike on the AT.

  14. #14

    Default

    Hey Cowboy, check your PM's (private messages).

  15. #15

    Default

    You should try doing the trail in 30 days that will make your moms real proud

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    You should try doing the trail in 30 days that will make your moms real proud
    Yeah, but it won't be a record.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Yeah, but it won't be a record.
    Technically I haven't broken the 28 1/2 day sound barrier yet, but it's just a matter of time before I do, and will be hailed as the greatest hiker ever, ever.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Technically I haven't broken the 28 1/2 day sound barrier yet, but it's just a matter of time before I do, and will be hailed as the greatest hiker ever, ever.
    Hold on now. I thought it was 27 and a half days. Trying to slide one by us? It would be particularly funny watching you sprint from Lakes of the Clouds to Madison Hut.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hold on now. I thought it was 27 and a half days. Trying to slide one by us? It would be particularly funny watching you sprint from Lakes of the Clouds to Madison Hut.
    Maybe it's because I had a second bowl of weaties today, but for some reason, I'm extra confident today. Let's make it a firm 26 day thru hike and be done with it.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    why are you bungholes s**tin all over cowboy's thread. it ain't funny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •