WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Stoves? Which one!!

There are so many differen't choices (and opinions) out there on which stove is best. I am leaning toward an MSR PR or a Snow Peak Giga. Are these burners compatible with other brands of fuel canisters(other than there name brand)? Any comments,suggestions,recommendations welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMan36 View Post
    There are so many differen't choices (and opinions) out there on which stove is best. I am leaning toward an MSR PR or a Snow Peak Giga. Are these burners compatible with other brands of fuel canisters(other than there name brand)? Any comments,suggestions,recommendations welcomed.
    go with the Giga. yes it is compatible with other cannister brands.

I have both and like them very much.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I use the MSR Pocket Rocket/Titan Kettle Combo. Just a hair over 7 oz for both, sans fuel. I've never had a failure or any other problem with it. In retrospect, it was an excellent equipment decision/purchase.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I'm a recent convert to the JetBoil. Almost bought the pocket rocket but I really like the JetBoil. The auto-light is cool. Don't have to fumble/find a lighter to get your stove going. Eat out of the pot is easy with built-in cozy. I got mine on sale for less than the pocket rocket + lightweight pot.

SP GigaPower for me. Though I recently boiled a liter of water with it at about 25*, took nearly 5 min. Of course, I didn't have my windscreen, and it was sleeting....

Snow Peak Giga Power

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    go with the Giga. yes it is compatible with other cannister brands.
    Agreed (I have a Giga) except they don't fix the large propane bottles, no big loss there.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Hi i have snow peak gig with a windscreen and a pot cozy iwas able to boil a quart of water in 2 1/2 mintures a 28deg. Msr jetboil and many and a few other will fit the snow peak. If you can get to walmart they have the big cannisters by coleman for 3.88. One thing abount Titan cookware i found that they do heat even and you can burn your food if you don't watch it.That why i got a kmart greese pot it really heat up fast and is lite to.

sorry about the type error at the local lib keyboard have a habit of not work inf see

Images

The "best stove" depends more upon what type of backcountry cooking you do than anything else. Solo, two, or more people? Just boiling water or doing some real cooking as well? How long between resupply? Weather/temp conditions? Convenience needed/skill level?

Some in-depth info at

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ove+efficiency

http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default Inactive Whisperlite

I have an MSR Whisperlite that I haven't fired up in a couple years. The pressure in the fuel cannister has been relieved, but there is still a little bit of fuel (white gas) in there. I'm wondering how long the fuel will still be usable? I have heard that it will gel in the cannister after a time.

Default what works for me ...

giga (with the 2 oz. windscreen) and an antigravity pot (3-cup for solo, 2-qt with others). faaaaabulous combination. and the smaller size of the snowpeak fuel cannister is faaaaabulous, too.

(edit ...) p.s. this setup worked fine for me last weekend in upper teens, too. boiled quickly without breaking a sweat.
    Last edited by copythat; 12-11-2007 at 22:13. Reason: 'cause i can never remember everything i want to say.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

My vote is for the Giga too. I was out a couple of weeks ago in the Whites. It was cold and snowy. I was using the Jet Boil canister and it worked great but I went through a lot of fuel trying to met snow for water. In the winter I think you would be much better off with a liquid fuel stove such as my favorite a Whisperlite.Peace. J.J.B.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind. - Dr. Seuss<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

++ New Posts ++