WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up Hey, I'm new, but excited!

Hello all,

I recently got the idea of hiking part of the Appalachin Trail in the summer of 08. I live in upstate NY so was thinking of hiking the section from Vermont through NJ and possibly half way through PA. I looked on the ATC page but all the guides and pretty much everything else costs money for a membership. I was wondering if you guys could point me to threads or other websites where I can get specific information on where I can park and launch from in Vermont (or if you have suggestions, feel free) and where the best places might be to stop in NJ/NY/PA. Also, just want to say I'll be looking around for good ideas and good campsites on this forum but if you have any specific advice about where I should definately stay at or what I should avoid let me know.

I'm in good shape and hiking is not a problem as I've done it several times in the areas I've grown up around. Although, I've never actually hiked day after day so, what do you guys estimate as the average miles covered per day, for a group of 21-24 year old guys?

Oh and did I mention, I'm moving to Tennessee next year and plan on hiking from Georgia all the way back up to Pennsylvania in Summer 09. And I'll finish the rest of the trail as I can.

Its great to start planning my trip with some friends and again, thanks for any advice or any direction.

DC,
    I lived in Canandaigua area from 2001 to 2005. I used to write for the Daily Messenger - (Messenger Post Newspapers) so I know the area well. All the stop info along the way that you're looking for can be acquired in the AT Data Book. I've done the northeast section twice in the last 2 years and would be happy to give you any info that will help you and your friends. So is it St. John Fischer or UR or RIT or other? PM me if you like, I'll help however I can.
    Peace.
    SOBO8
    Oh. . . and

buy one of these www.appalachianpages.com

In the now distant past a league was a unit of measure for the distance a man or horse could walk in one hour. This came to be understood to be about 3 miles before the unit became obsolete. 20 miles would be a good days travel. Of course there have always been messengers that have travelled faster, and farther. A good period of time for a round trip on foot was a fortnight, two weeks or half a cycle of the moon. Half of that, or one week, is a good length of time for travelling on foot while carrying all your own food, with perhaps a day at the end for rest and resupply. So 100 miles is a very good distance for a section. In rough terrain this is still very doable, but is rougher going. Now today even young 21-24 year olds can be a little soft, but those are natural natural guidelines. Bear in mind there are ladies that can run over 100 miles a day. Cheers.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Thumbs up money well spent

I suggest you join the ATC, you will get discounts on maps and books, it is money well spent on information that is priceless.
    You just might want to spend some time as a trail volunteer before it is all over.

I am just guessing MOST whiteblaze members will point you in the same direction, and are ATC members also.

Its U of R! Congrats on remembering your upstate schools. I'm moving to TN (most likely) next year to attend medical school.

While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership (poor college kid, knee deep in UR loans, and with a minimum wage lab job) which would seem the only logical option, since the 100 a year doesn't seem worth it...

I will check out the Appalachian Pages website, thank you for that advice.

On another note I just wanted to clear up that I plan on a one way trip. That is dropping my car off with a friend about halfway through the drive to Vermont and then having him drive us up to the launch site. I'll get my car back at the tail of the trip when he would pick us up. I'm just looking for a solid place to be dropped off and picked up. Where can I get good ideas at a launch and end place?

I've also noticed a bit on this forum that people seem to love to travel NoBo (which is Northern if I'm not mistaken). Would it be better to go the reverse route? Is there something wrong with SoBo?

Quote Originally Posted by DC80 View Post
    Its U of R! Congrats on remembering your upstate schools. I'm moving to TN (most likely) next year to attend medical school.

While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership (poor college kid, knee deep in UR loans, and with a minimum wage lab job) which would seem the only logical option, since the 100 a year doesn't seem worth it...

I will check out the Appalachian Pages website, thank you for that advice.

On another note I just wanted to clear up that I plan on a one way trip. That is dropping my car off with a friend about halfway through the drive to Vermont and then having him drive us up to the launch site. I'll get my car back at the tail of the trip when he would pick us up. I'm just looking for a solid place to be dropped off and picked up. Where can I get good ideas at a launch and end place?

I've also noticed a bit on this forum that people seem to love to travel NoBo (which is Northern if I'm not mistaken). Would it be better to go the reverse route? Is there something wrong with SoBo?
    No SOBO is also a great way to go as do I. What if you left your car in Vermont, got a ride to Katahdin and hiked back to Vermont. Great section for sure.
    SOBO8
    Peace

I will check out that option... sounds like a good idea.

I will check out that option... sounds like a good idea.
    Let me know if I can help with any details. I'll be heading SOBO again May 31 from Katahdin.

Are you going straight from Katahdin ALL the way down?

~
    While I agree that itd be a great idea to buy into this ATC, I really lack the funds to commit to a 600 dollar membership ~
    You don't have to purchase a lifetime membership, right now. You can support the ATC with a $30 membership and still be eligible for discounts.

When you've finished school and have earned income, you'll be in a better position to buy a lifetime membership.

Enjoy your adventure!
    Roland

Images

For section-hiking, some of the "Exploring the AT" books are useful:

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...ompid=1&page=5

They list trail access points, parking lots, and driving directions to them.

Another approach is to get a Data Book and a Delorme Gazetteer of the state and figure out your own access points.

If you don't already have backpacking gear, you should do a search on the "$300 challenge" to come up with a low-cost gear list. Hiking during the warm months will help cut costs.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I think the first thing I would do, if I were an impoverished college student, is visit the local libraries -- school and city -- and see what trail guides are on the shelves. Yes, beware outdated data, but you can get quite a long ways on publicly available information.

I recently got the idea of hiking part of the Appalachin Trail in the summer of 08. I live in upstate NY so was thinking of hiking the section from Vermont through NJ and possibly half way through PA. I looked on the ATC page but all the guides and pretty much everything else costs money for a membership.
    You can download the ALDHA Companion for FREE www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

The ALDHA Companion is available online for the price of a Google search.

really? you're kidding

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    really? you're kidding
    No, it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    The ALDHA Companion is available online for the price of a Google search.
    How much is a Google search?

he was too lazy to post a link unlike me. i try to help out

Good, because I was afraid he might think his time was worth something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++