WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bmt

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Bmt

Hmm..after seeing other threads mentioning the BMT and how "old school" AT like it is, this trail is starting to peak my interest.

It has been 10 yrs since I have thru-hiked the AT. Ideally, I would have loved to do the AT again in 2008 (ain't gonna happen!). Starting inthe Smokies and ending at Springer may work.

I honestly miss Eastern hiking. The damp and rich smell, the thick woods, the subtle versus the grand.

After doing the CDT last year, my mind is starting to wander back East.

Looks like the BMT is ~300 miles. I could probably squeeze in the whole trail under three weeks with my preferred pace.

So..now that I've done enough rambing , would early October be a good time to start it? Maybe hike south and end on Springer and follow the fall foliage a little bit?

Thinking further ahead, I guess Atlanta would be the logical start off /end point in terms of transportation?

Just idle speculating...but I really think this a possibility for my hike this upcoming year. A chance to get an AT fix for the end, a chance to explore a new trail, and chance to re-discover the beauty of the East.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

SOBO on the BMT will get your biggest climb out of the way... 4000ft in 5-6miles.. but yea, youre used to that stuff living in CO!

Id hike anywhere on the BMT in October. great weather.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Plan for about 3 weeks to hike it, give or take a few days. There is a thru-hike guide in the process of getting published soon I hear.

October is a great month, not too hot or cold. Foliage is nice, but fire season so you may have some burn ban issues in the wilderness areas along TN/NC.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Or you could go SOBO by starting off from Standing Bear hostel with Curtis doing a shuttle to the Big Creek area of the GSMNP. Personally, I can't wait to thru-hike this trail. We had planned to do it this fall, but life (or actually end of life ) happened. Maybe next spring........ if life quits interfering with my hikng plans.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-12-2007 at 14:09. Reason: Corrected error

Images

The guide is out! Very handy and good details!

Mags, I would wait until the end of Oct, the first week or two is still practically summer in the south, I live in GA and we've only had a couple of mornings below freezing this year so far. The weather is still nice in NOV and it usually is nice in DEC (like it is now). Rock lives near the BMT, he could tell you more. I think the leaf color peaks about the 3rd week in OCT.

I've done almost two thirds of the trail Mags. It would be well worth your while. Lots of beauty and solitude.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I am really liking the sound of this trail more and more.

Maybe mid Octoberish...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

GeneRoll is out there at this very moment. Im sure he could give you real-time weather for this time of year. (he was supposed to be doing Smokemont to Davenport in GSMNP)

Images

From generally knowing the area, I would think late Spring would be incredibly beautiful from flowers, and no hunting concerns, with plentiful water.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    From generally knowing the area, I would think late Spring would be incredibly beautiful from flowers, and no hunting concerns, with plentiful water.

TW
    Spring (March? April? ) is the tail end of ski season here in Colorado.

Mid-October is about when the hiking season (at least for the high country) ends in CO and it is not quite ski season.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... for my outdoor "schedule", mid-October or so would work well. I really, really love Fall hiking. And to me, nothing is more the epitome of Eastern hiking than the foliage change. You just don't get that here.

Still, spring could be nice. But my heart is with fall.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

TW
    I have photos of Mayflowers, Bloodroot and Trillium growing up in the middle of the treadway from April 2003. I did run into several spring turkey hunters, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have seen anyone until day 6 atop Big Frog Mountain! The hunters were nice folk.

Hi everone i start my Thur-Hike On Feb 5 2008 if i want to hike the bmt instead of gone thur GSMNP where would i pick up the bmt at start of GSMNP and where would i get off at the end of bmt get back on the AT.
    Also how far apart are the shelters on the bmt and resupply points oh yet what the water. Thank

Images

Partini ---

Just be aware that some will say that it's not an "Appalachian Trail Thru Hike" if you use the BMT. There's a thread on here about that.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Hi everone i start my Thur-Hike On Feb 5 2008 if i want to hike the bmt instead of gone thur GSMNP where would i pick up the bmt at start of GSMNP and where would i get off at the end of bmt get back on the AT.
    Also how far apart are the shelters on the bmt and resupply points oh yet what the water. Thank
    Link to 1.4 MB PDF map of GSMNP - BMT is yellow trail BMT has far more campsites than shelters - one of its finer qualities IMO.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-12-2007 at 14:01.

Partini ---

Just be aware that some will say that it's not an "Appalachian Trail Thru Hike" if you use the BMT. There's a thread on here about that.

TW
    If Partini has already hiked the AT in the park, the implications of that are... zero. If he hasn't, he may not qualify for a patch and certificate. But my guess is.... if he's honest about what he did, the ATC will send him the patch. Just a guess on my part though.

Images

BMT enters GSMNP at 20Mile Ranger station... or take the AT across the Dam and intersect the BMT at Sassafrass Gap and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by partinj View Post
    Pick up the BMT just north of Shuckstack. It comes out at Big Creek Campground and you'll have a road walk to Davenport Gap. The only shelter is near the end at Laurel gap. There are 30ish campsites on the BMT in the Smokies. Resupply at Smokemont which is the equivelant to Newfound gap. At Smokemont hitch east on 441 to Cherokee NC. You can play the slots while your there. Lots of creeks and streams so water won't be an issue. Maybe too much water in the spring- you'll have some fording to do probably.
    Last edited by Flush2wice; 12-12-2007 at 14:07. Reason: speling

As in "dessert" not "desert"

The importance of "the badge" is demonstrated by the number of thru-hikers who won't do the BMT on their thru-hike, I guess.

By the way, how long do you all think it would take to do the BMT end to end?

Images

Mags check out my photos and that will give you some idea of what fall looks like on the BMT. I was there in Mid Nov.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++