WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bear Smart

Default Bear Smart

Stumbled on this website today. Seems like a good resource.

I like this like though:

If an attack is prolonged or the bear starts eating you, it is no longer being defensive.

http://www.bearsmart.com/backcountryManners/Attack.html

As in "dessert" not "desert"

True dat. Bears are a fairly intelligent animal. This means they may behave in any number of ways, for any number of reasons. While very rarely aggressive, they can on rare occasions be dangerous and even predatory (i.e., viewing you as food). What prevents this behavior, usually, is the bear's natural diet (not humans) and natural caution. (It does not know that it can beat you in a fight, or that you are afraid of it-- so don't let it know that).

Images

If an attack is prolonged or the bear starts eating you, it is no longer being defensive.
    - that's a wonderful No S**t Sherlock statement

Seriously... not ever having been in a situation where I have had to encounter bears, rattlesnakes etc the advice and suggestions that I am picking up from WB for my planned trip is really helpful

Thank you

And I think the advice here is generally correct-- bears are not a big risk in the Eastern part of the United States, though one should follow the "standard advice" around them at all times. The page linked to here is generally standard advice. When are you coming to the States, BigStu?

Images

Coming over mid-April to do some hiking before going down to Merlefest

Last year was first trip to the US and I was knocked out by the beauty of NC and decided that if I came back (and I am) that I should at least set foot on the AT and walk a part of it.

Winter months are being spent getting myself prepared as much as I can and the stuff that I have learned on WB over the past few days has helped enormously.

There are some excellent photographers here as well

Images

I would hope that all backpackers would know this without needing to read that article, its all common sense.

Images

S'pose if we all had "common sense" we wouldn't be a hiking a 2,175 mile trail. Come on May, hurry up 'n get here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    I would hope that all backpackers would know this without needing to read that article, its all common sense.
    For me...the thing is, we don't have much experience of dealing with bear encounters in the UK - I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

As you suggest, if you grow up in an area where such potential dangers are a natural part of your environment then I would agree that this would probably be second nature - for me I have to learn as much as I can from those that know better.

I am living proof that you are never too old to learn

Default Carry bear spray?

One of the big recommendations on the Bear Smart site is to carry bear spray.

Is the risk high enough that I should just do that? I have to admit that $37.00 and 11 ounces, plus One More Thing in my pack don't make me enthusiastic.

Is bear bagging and common sense sufficient, or do I need this stuff?

Jonathan

Bear Attacks Their Causes and Avoidance by Stephen Herrero is a pretty good book on the subject.

It's not at all common sense. It is, in the United States, common *knowledge* for people who spend a lot of time in the woods, but it is not common sense. Common sense doesn't tell you what a bear's inclinations are when it first sees you. It is something we know by having been told, or by experience, or both. I don't think there are a lot of wild bears in the UK, especially not those known as Ursus AMERICANUS.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post

Is the risk high enough that I should just do that? I have to admit that $37.00 and 11 ounces, plus One More Thing in my pack don't make me enthusiastic.

Jonathan
    Bear bagging and common sense are enough, no need to haul that spray around. If it makes you feel safer - go for it, maybe you'll get lucky and find a thief or mugger to use it on while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post

Jonathan
    I think they make it a big recommendation because the site is created by a manufacturer of bear spray.

Images

no need to haul that spray around.... maybe you'll get lucky and find a thief or mugger to use it on while hiking.
    Maybe I'll get one for the Tube in London when the City Boys go into their feeding frenzies when they are about to pick up their bonuses

The site is Canadian and directed primarily at Whistler in British Colombia, where there are both Black and Grizz. They state very clearly the difference in dealing with the two.

Black bears: common sense about wild animals should work.
    Grizz: need more than common sense. Unless you are Chuck Norris.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montego View Post
    S'pose if we all had "common sense" we wouldn't be a hiking a 2,175 mile trail. Come on May, hurry up 'n get here.

......it just magnifies the fact we are a fun bunch.......

Default Bear Smart

We used to have a couple cabins on Moosehead Lake in Maine. The big excitement on Saturday nights was to go to the local dump. Most people would just drive up to the edge of the trash and sit in their cars as they watched the bears feeding. On one occasion there were a couple guys from NYC there. They were so drunk they could bearly stand up. They had cameras and wanted to get some close up pictures of the bears. So, they went walking out through the trash, where the bears were feeding on garbage, stuck the cameras right in front of the bears faces and took a picture. The flash was bright, the bears were startled and stood up, the two guys just stood there wobbling back and forth. Everyone held there breath waiting to see what was going to happen. Nothing, the bears just went back to eating, the drunk guys took some more pictures but not as close and stumbled back out of the trash.

Images

The only fault I could find was the missing Limey-specific action that should read:

"If you are a Limey and have never encountered a bear of any size or description outside of a zoo, find a convenient moment to "pack" your shorts in a very swift and nasty fashion"

Default Bear Smart

Quote Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
    Maybe I'll get one for the Tube in London when the City Boys go into their feeding frenzies when they are about to pick up their bonuses
    Can you translate that last sentence into non-english for me? lol, I don't know what you mean about city boys having a feeding frenzie or picking up their bonus?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Can you translate that last sentence into non-english for me? lol, I don't know what you mean about city boys having a feeding frenzie or picking up their bonus?
    Sorry.... in the City of London (close to where I work) we have a breed of very brash, rude & arrogant young men (mostly) who work in City financial institutions and who routinely 'earn' obscenely large bonuses for making loads of money for people who already have loads of money

Sometimes their behaviour can get 'out of hand'... maybe bear spray is the answer

(PS: I don't have a problem with them earning what they earn so much as a problem with their rudeness toward everybody but themselves )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++