WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default southbound in oct

So I am most likely going to start sountbound on oct 3rd or so, I am curious to see what people have to say about that. I will be pretty tight and rough going and cold the whole dam time I know that. So tell me what you think.

Images

I hope you really like to be alone.

It'll be tough getting through northern New England, too.

Good luck!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Default Late start

Well I would say that that may be pushing it for a late start but then I saw that you are posting from Gunnison Co. that has to be one of the coldest spots on the planet. It was once part of my sales region and I can recall days where hitting the negitive teens was a high temp. I do second the idea that you better like the solitutude you will be the only one on sections for I would guess weeks at a time. You may want to check on avarage conditions through the Whites based on your time frames. It could get a bit dicey there.

If cold weather hiking is your thing - go for it and enjoy. I wonder about traversing the Whites though for sure - could be verry sketchy as well as Southern Maine.

If you are a skilled cold weather camper, go for it. Be advised that 100mph winds are common in the Whites from late OCT on into the winter when a front moves through. I think Trauma, the Granite Gear guy, started in NOV so it has been done.

Images

I would say that you should have something like YakTraks for better grip at that time of year. They really help and are light.

yeah getting through the white's is the first thing i thought of as a challenge. it'd be november or so. but i'm sure it can be done.

It takes most people 22-27 days to hike the Maine section, so this means you'll be going thru the Whites in late October, or more likely, early November.

Make sure you have proper gear and clothing, extra provisions, excellent map and compass skills, and be aware that many facilities will be closed for the season by the time you get there.

Things will improve for you after you are done with Vermont (you should reach the Mass. line just before December), but what other people have told you is correct: Do not underestimate the terrain or the weather in Northern New England.

Quote Originally Posted by TinAbbey View Post
    yeah getting through the white's is the first thing i thought of as a challenge. it'd be november or so. but i'm sure it can be done.
    whites, not white's

Are you the same "Grammar Coach" who hangs out at Trailjournals being an ass and contributing nothing of any use.......or are you a new one?

Just curious.

I'm a new one...but I give that person credit...and strive to follow in his/her footsteps.

Nah, you won't. At least not here.

This website actually has moderators who take out the trash now and again.

Deliberate trolling is discouraged here at Whiteblaze, as you'll eventually discover.

Bye.

Proper names get capitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by toastyjosh View Post
    So I am most likely going to start sountbound on oct 3rd or so, I am curious to see what people have to say about that. I will be pretty tight and rough going and cold the whole dam time I know that. So tell me what you think.
    I am not sure if your schedule permits this, but maybe you could do the stretch from Grafton Notch, ME to Glencliff, NH earlier in the year. Just a suggestion, because as others have stated, Maine and New Hampshire are no joke late in the year. Good luck!

Just Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Coach View Post
    I'm a new one...but I give that person credit...and strive to follow in his/her footsteps.
    The last Grammar Coach we had was really annoying, looks you won't be much different. Nobody wants to be coached esp when they don't ask for it and it interupts the topic at hand, go away.

I give anyone credit for attempting a Fall/Winter sobo hike.

To me the toughest aspect of winter hiking is not the cold or the snow, but the length of day.

The walking is already more difficult because of snowy conditions but now you have to squeeze it in to a very short period of daylight. If you didn't get out of your bag until 8 or so you'd only have about 8 or so hours to walk. Subtract breaks, food, bathroom, water, shoe tying etc.. and you have even less time.

So is it doable? Sure. Will it be signifigantly harder then a normal thru hike? Yes.

Good luck! and stay warm!

When people complain about getting dumber after reading online forums...horrendous grammar/spelling has a lot to do with it. Formulate a rational thought, and be able to communicate it using relatively proper english. I guess no one cares about language anymore. Perhaps we should allow more relaxed standards for scientist's math too.

HYOH doesn't apply to grammar. There are many ways to hike a trail, but there are grammar RULES that should be followed if you wish to consider yourself an educated person. I'm not talking about typos, but blatant, common mistakes that should have been remedied in 4th grade.

Default Heal thyself......

Speaking of rules, G.C. :

You should have said "English" and not "english".

Also; you're supposed to leave two spaces after a period, and not just one.

But feel free to come back when you can prove you're truly an educated person.

Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Coach View Post

HYOH doesn't apply to grammar. There are many ways to hike a trail, but there are grammar RULES that should be followed if you wish to consider yourself an educated person. I'm not talking about typos, but blatant, common mistakes that should have been remedied in 4th grade.
    I see you don't do much hiking. Nobody on the trail cares if you are a doctor or a bum. So being considered 'educated' just doesn't matter.

Stop hijacking the thread, there are winter sobo matters at hand.

Thanks Jack for pointing that out. We can learn from each other! I will work on that in the future. Any comments regarding the crux of my post though?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++