WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Smile 2 or 3 night Back packing Jan 2008

Looking to see if anyone is up for a 2 or 3 night trip.
    Will need one last winter trip for a gear check before the thru-hike !
    Need to try out:
    - New boots
    - Designs for canister warmer
    - Design for snow stoppers for boots

When:
    Jan 10,11,12th OR
    Jan 17,18,19,20th

Where:
    No set plans yet, seeing who wants to go first, so we can work with every one
    that might want to go. I would like to keep it within 3 hours North, South or West of MD.

Does not have to be on the A.T.

OH Yea, more then likely I will have my dog along.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 12-12-2007 at 21:56.

Images

You wont find many people on 17,18, 19... that SoRUCK!!!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Uhhhh. I can probably do this ... sign me up for a tentative.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

With those parameters ... North would be the NJ border at Delaware Water Gap and South would be the Shenandoahs ... I'm just using the AT as the main targets. I'm leaning to the Shenandoahs but if we head North we could easily hike the Duncannon area ... just tossing some thoughts around. There's also the Assateauge Island National Seashore that has backpacking ... though a winter North Easter on the shore makes the hairs on back of my neck stand on end.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Doggiebag, glad to hear from you what dates?
    What area would you like to do? Assat. would be cool but the wind might be a bit much to make if fun by the shore.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 12-12-2007 at 22:19.

Images

I'm just throwing ideas around. Let's see who else bites and we'll put it for a vote. I have no problem heading North to Sasquatch's stomping grounds ... New Jersey is pretty easy. I'd avoid Pennsylvania (don't ask me why - that state nearly took me out ... but then again so did New Hampshire) Screw it .... I'll hike anywhere. Count me in and pick your dates. There's also the C&O canal ... we could hike from Washington DC to Harpers Ferry though I doubt if we can do 90 miles in 3 days (I know I can't) but there's plenty of neat hiking in the area.

Images

shenandoahs and ummmmm.............i might be in? kind of a long haul for me, but worth it i'm sure?

I could be up for that. I'm close to Allentown/Hamburg/DWG but could be willing to get down to MD and hike north. Winter hiking in PA is no different than anywhere else. In fact its much easier to hike here in the winter as the gaps between the rocks are all filled in with snow/ice.

Images

Do me a favor, if you know post the dates you want to hike.

Also the area you want.

This will make it easier for me to orginize the trip. - Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    I could be up for that. I'm close to Allentown/Hamburg/DWG but could be willing to get down to MD and hike north. Winter hiking in PA is no different than anywhere else. In fact its much easier to hike here in the winter as the gaps between the rocks are all filled in with snow/ice.
    I'm sure that helps with helping to ice down any twisted appendages. You can just leave your whole leg jammed in the rocks and let the rocks and ice keep the swelling down. On the bright side at least the rattlers you guys breed on those mountains are hibernating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    I'm sure that helps with helping to ice down any twisted appendages. You can just leave your whole leg jammed in the rocks and let the rocks and ice keep the swelling down. On the bright side at least the rattlers you guys breed on those mountains are hibernating.

Images

Default I should know better

I should know better but ok I'm in. Let me know where to go. Hell I still have food left from our last March O'Fools a week ago. Everyone up this way thinks I'm nuts already so what the hell I'll play to it that way they wont expect anything from me! See I have a plan. I do have an idea i would love to wrap up the last of NY so if you want we could go from like the highpoint area over into NY. Just an idea plus it would be under 400 miles this time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Do me a favor, if you know post the dates you want to hike.

Also the area you want.

This will make it easier for me to orginize the trip. - Thanks
    My suggestion is South Bound from the Northern End of the Shenandoahs at Front Royal. Either set of dates are fine. At least there will be a couple of 3,000 footers to keep things interesting. However the downside is we'll our campfires will be restricted to established fire rings at shelters and huts. Which means since it's a 3 day outing ... we establish a campsite at the first hut south bound and use it as a base of operations for dayhikes. You follow? ... just thinking out loud.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I should know better but ok I'm in. Let me know where to go. Hell I still have food left from our last March O'Fools a week ago. Everyone up this way thinks I'm nuts already so what the hell I'll play to it that way they wont expect anything from me! See I have a plan. I do have an idea i would love to wrap up the last of NY so if you want we could go from like the highpoint area over into NY. Just an idea plus it would be under 400 miles this time.
    We allowed campfires there? I'm game to tromp around your neck of the woods.

Images

Yes in NY not sure about NJ. Hell it most likely will all be coated in ice and snow anyway so not sure what we could catch on fire. Other than Wrongways new shoes as he cooks them in the am over his stove.

Images

No campfires in New Jersey ... I just looked it up. No way I'm staying out without a campfire. So I'm leaning towards NY. We all know that Sasquatch is so nice he might even start staching firewood for us before we get there.

Images

I plan on cutting back on my food bag weight so I guess I can pack in wood. You think a 1/2 a cord will be enough.

Images

Okay, lets do:

1)NY trip - Jan 10,11,12 - Sasquatch, what starting/finishing point do you need?

Whos in:
    -Sasquatch
    -Wrongway (& Hudson ?)
    -Doggiebag & Aldo
    -Saimyoji ?
    -Daks ?

2) Shenandoahs - Jan 17,18,19,20 - South Bound from the Northern End of the Shenandoahs.

Whos in:
    - Wrongway (& Hudson ?)
    -Doggiebag & Aldo
    -Daks ?
    -Saimyoji ?

Images

For New York if we could go from RT 17 there is a big parking lot right there where it crosses over from the park and the Thruway to the NJ stateline it would be around 20 miles or so similar to last time. or we can plan to go through Harriman State Park which I have done but more shelter options.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    For New York if we could go from RT 17 there is a big parking lot right there where it crosses over from the park and the Thruway to the NJ stateline it would be around 20 miles or so similar to last time. or we can plan to go through Harriman State Park which I have done but more shelter options.
    Southbound from 17 sounds good ... we can use the Wildcat shelter as a basecamp, since it's only 10 miles from the NJ border. The terrain is pretty much mountaineering from what I could recall heading south. Crampons? (seriously) you guys have some big slabs of rock with nasty (deadly) drops.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++