WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    "We've come on holiday by mistake" - Withnail

Default Someone stop me!!!!

I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support. Pathetically, I was too stupid to stop and 1120 miles later,walked on to the Land Ends cliffs on the 80th day. I looked out to America wondering if it existed outside of The Simpsons and knew I would never walk again. That went quite well for.... a week .....until I found this site. So I was thinking that my circumstances haven't changed........maybe just one little walk.........say NOBO early March. NO! ..forget it.. I've just realised what you are up to.... its a daft idea. The daftest Ive had since...well you know. No sorry forget it...sorry to have bothered you. I mean, I only know one person in the colony and they are really to busy to support this. I'll just go away... please be more careful, you are playing with peoples lives. If I started early March I might with some help get to the top by mid August and would have walked the UK and US in a calander year .....Oh stop it!!!!

PS I was thinking of a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. Any thoughts? What maps are best? I've looked at an Osprey Aether and like it? Damn, Ive bought a filter on E bay!!!
    PPS Is a bear bigger than say a medium sized dog?

The Osprey Aether is a great pack.

For maps, go to www.atconf.org and click where it says "Ultimate Trail Store." These are the A.T. best maps presently available.

Welcome and good luck!

Images

Hope to see you out there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jogle View Post
    I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support. Pathetically, I was too stupid to stop and 1120 miles later,walked on to the Land Ends cliffs on the 80th day. I looked out to America wondering if it existed outside of The Simpsons and knew I would never walk again. That went quite well for.... a week .....until I found this site. So I was thinking that my circumstances haven't changed........maybe just one little walk.........say NOBO early March. NO! ..forget it.. I've just realised what you are up to.... its a daft idea. The daftest Ive had since...well you know. No sorry forget it...sorry to have bothered you. I mean, I only know one person in the colony and they are really to busy to support this. I'll just go away... please be more careful, you are playing with peoples lives. If I started early March I might with some help get to the top by mid August and would have walked the UK and US in a calander year .....Oh stop it!!!!

PS I was thinking of a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. Any thoughts? What maps are best? I've looked at an Osprey Aether and like it? Damn, Ive bought a filter on E bay!!!
    Depends on the bear. I've seen them smaller than a cattle dog (under 50 pounds) to larger than the stoutest hiker I've seen. Over 350 pounds (the bear not the hiker). They're usually a blessing to see. IMHO
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Go sobo. Start in June. Avoid the herd. Have fun.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

oh dear.... he's hooked. Welcome to a new member of the Class of 2008

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Go sobo. Start in June. Avoid the herd. Have fun.
    but the herd is so much fun!!

The SL1- Good Tent
    Osprey Aether- Great Pack.....Great Customer Service
    Bears- Don't worry about them

Journal Entries

Jack's given you good advice. But hurry. The once a year map and guide book sale ends in about 10 days or so.

Weary

Many a friend from across the pond has hiked the trail unsupported. All you need is you plane ticket, your Visa, and your pack. I've hike with two great friends from England the past two years.

SOBO8

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

You start to get to the point, like myself, where you try your hardest on a hike to see a bear while hiking, and I live in Maine, where they are supposedly everywhere.

Go NOBO.

Kirby

Did I miss a bear segue somewhere?

Images

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages..... I hope you plan on keeping an online journal.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Welcome Well done on your hike thats a logn way to hike & to bad the weather was bag. Just rember not many would walk all that way. I wish Americans would not call the water beween both coutrys (The Pond). Glad you are thur-hiking, I am going SOBO in June so one English man to another welcome & I hope to meet you on the trail. P.S. I live near Boston if you need a place let me know...........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    ...I wish Americans would not call the water beween both coutrys (The Pond)...
    Just curious. Why not? If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it seems we are, at worst, sucking up.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Check out Granite Gear's Nimbus Meridian Pack Sizes: short / regular
    Weight: 1.6kg / 3lbs 8oz Capacity: 60 liters / 3800 cubes $250 Their support system is the best on the market. Haven't tried it yet but have one on order for a trip on the AT in late March. Going to start in Hot Springs and go North for a few days. Been section hiking for five years and love it. You must come over and give it a go, it's a beutiful trail with great shelters and hikers.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I have been reading this site avidly for a month, incredulous at the irresponsible way in which easily led people, like myself, are encouraged to put aside the important issues in life, to take on a trivial pursuit of quite mind boggling stupidity. I have experience of this insidious cohersion.This year whilst in a moment of weakness, following the usual implosion of modern lives, I was wickedly tricked by a similarly cavalier web page to travel to John O'Groats on the far tip of Scotland and begin, during the wettest summer on record, walking toward the most southerly tip of the British mainland by way of paths. I had no experience, too much kit and no support.

Having no experience, no support, and too much "kit", as you Brits say, is how many people start the Appalachian Trail, so you should be well qualified by now.

If you can afford it, don't you dare not do it! The BA Seedhouse gets some good reviews, but for a solo sleeper, you might be happier with an even lighter tarptent, and staying in shelters on the nights when you can squeeze in.

Brits are fascinated by bears. So are Americans, truth be told. And well we should be. They are a fascinating creature. I would recommend reading Herrero's "Bear Attacks". Rather than scaring you off, it should make you realize that bear attacks are a very rare occurrence, and that most bears do not have much interest in eating you. And in the Eastern U.S., we only have black bears, not the more fearsome grizzlies. (Some bears, to answer your question, are much bigger than a medium sized dog. Many are about that size. Bears are not always 500 pounds in weight).

Loose the tent, get a hammock.

Great pack! Thats what I use and its the most comphertable pack I have ever worne.

Images

Jogle, welcome to Whiteblaze.
    Now don't think this problem only goes one way. My wife and I have been doing short section hikes of the AT for a number of years now and all of a sudden the little lady tells me she wants a hiking vacation in the UK. Well, what's a guy to do, so I ask her "which part of the UK, it's a big place?" The answer is she doesn't know where she'd like to go. Can you recommend a trail that we could spend a couple of weeks hiking which would go near some small, quaint towns, that we could walk into and then back out to the trail? Of course passing things like the coast, castles, ancient ruins and remains, and other interesting things would earn me a lot of extra points with the little lady. And if you ask nice you might even be able to talk us into helping you with logistics on this side of the pond.

One suggestion for hiking we got was to look into the Scottish Higlands.

Images

Default Welcome

Having been to Western Scotland nine times out of the past 14 years Hillwalking on Skye, and mainly in and around Ft William, Kinlochleven, and Glen Coe. I welcome you to walking in the US. My only LD ramble in Scotland was the West Highland Way from Glasgow to Ft Bill. Most of my walking consisted of staying in hostels and riding Citylink to and from dayhikes. I'm planning a SOBO - MEGA beginning next June. (2008) Come on over.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++