WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shaving methods

Default Shaving methods

Hey everyone. Quick question regarding shaving. I know some thrus sport impressive beards that they "neglect" to cut along the way. But for the rest of us...

One problem I have is the fact that after say...4 days, my facial hair starts pissing me off and I want to shave badly. Do people just suck it up and get used to it or find ways to shave?

I am NOBOing early march btw. I am not starting out with a bounce box, which would be a logical storage place for a razor and shaving cream. I havent tried shaving with Dr. Bronners, but I should probably try it out pretty soon. What do other people do that works for them?

Thanks,
    WalkitOff

Images

I would let it grow for a little bit, that feeling will past after about the 9th day. Then you can let it keep growing or shave it say every 6 weeks or so.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkItOff View Post
    Hey everyone. Quick question regarding shaving. I know some thrus sport impressive beards that they "neglect" to cut along the way. But for the rest of us...

One problem I have is the fact that after say...4 days, my facial hair starts pissing me off and I want to shave badly. Do people just suck it up and get used to it or find ways to shave?

I am NOBOing early march btw. I am not starting out with a bounce box, which would be a logical storage place for a razor and shaving cream. I havent tried shaving with Dr. Bronners, but I should probably try it out pretty soon. What do other people do that works for them?

Thanks,
    WalkitOff
    ====================================

Start growing it before your hike. It won't bother you during the hike.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I shaved every time I hit a shower; shaving at the end of a hot shower means your week-old stubble will be softer. A disposable razor weighs almost nothing and you can sometimes find them in hiker boxes. (Don't be picky, pink razors are just a different color.) Usually in a hostel you'll find shaving cream left by other hikers, but really you can use any soap including Dr. Bronners if you use hot water and rub it in good and let it sit. You could heat up water and shave on the trail if you wanted to but I think a small mirror would be handy then and then the weight starts increasing.

Sometimes I felt like I was on the Planet of the Apes with all the furry faces around.

You can buy a little one ounce bottle of shaving oil at Walmart, you only need four or five drops applied to your wet face. Shave normally like you would with shaving cream.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    You can buy a little one ounce bottle of shaving oil at Walmart, you only need four or five drops applied to your wet face. Shave normally like you would with shaving cream.
    Don't buy shaving oil, it's just oil. Oil is oil. Use olive oil.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I shaved every once in a while so I didn't look like a hobo (for hitching purposes) or have a beard that I couldn't check for ticks. Olive oil, with a little salt added if you have some, makes a great shaving-cream substitute; I continue to use olive oil at home.

Shaving on the trail proper sounds messy and time consuming. Plus, rubbing olive oil on your face might have some undesirable consequence (flies? mice? bears?). I have shaved over a sewer-grate behind a grocery store (my #2 hobo moment ever).

Images

1. Start shaving in the shower without a mirror. You get used to not needing a mirror.
    2. Stop using shaving cream. It eats away the edge of your blades anyhow. Use regular soap.
    3. Use a disposable razor and a little soap on the trail.
    4. Warm water is over rated.

The only other thing that helps is the bottom of a milk jug for a small sink.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkItOff View Post

Thanks,
    WalkitOff
    I am about the same. I have oily skin, but a course beard. It grows fast for the first week, then it just stops. I try to grow it out during the winter but dag-nab-it, it starts feeling like a steel brush. Then I start obsessing over it, rubbing it, then I lose it and shave it off.

The real problem is sweat. When you sweat into your beard, it will start to stiffen up, and you will go crazy over it. Keep a hanky handy.

Also, look to see if you can find the smallest battery hair trimmer, instead of carrying shaving cream and razor.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I carried a disposable and did a quick shave every other day. Then a thorough job during resupply stops. It's about as easy as brushing your teeth if you keep up with it. I never had more than 3 days growth on the trail.
    Keeping shaved is no problem on the trail.

Images

There's no reason not to shave on the trail if your inclined to. I think the main reason people don't shave on the trail is just a lack of concern about personal hygene.

Panzer

Just let 'er go man. It will itch till about the 2nd week, after that you have a balaclava attached to your face, great for layering...besides, you can hike food in it for later.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    1. Start shaving in the shower without a mirror. You get used to not needing a mirror.
    2. Stop using shaving cream. It eats away the edge of your blades anyhow. Use regular soap.

I stopped using shaving cream decades ago when worry first surfaced about propellants destroying the ozone layer. My substitute at home is a shaving brush and a bar of soap.

When I shave on the trail I just use my hands to work up a lather with the Ivory I use for general purpose washing. But mostly I don't shave on trails. I just let it grow. I find that after a week or so, shaving can be painful. So before shaving I just have a barber clip most of it off.

Weary

Default Shaving methods

I just shaved at town stops. Those cheap plastic razors are availble in every town...even in gas stations. The motel soap worked fine. I found aftershave and all that smelly stuff offensive on my thru hike. It seemed like non-hikers in town stops reeked of perfume like smells.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    . . .I found aftershave and all that smelly stuff offensive on my thru hike. It seemed like non-hikers in town stops reeked of perfume like smells.
    That sooo reminded me of when day hikers are headed toward me on the trail. Frequently I could smell them well before I could see them. And quite a ways after they had passed. Freshly showered folk on the trail smell as strong as walking by Yankee Candle in a mall.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post

I agree with all except last-I wait till I can shower either cold or hot water. I have not bought shaving cream in many, many years. Body soap works great

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ...Olive oil, with a little salt added if you have some, makes a great shaving-cream substitute; I continue to use olive oil at home...rubbing olive oil on your face might have some undesirable consequence (flies? mice? bears?).
    "...undesirable consequence (flies? mice? bears?)"

Bears that like antipasto could be a problem. So too could be the attention of very large italian women.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Don't buy shaving oil, it's just oil. Oil is oil. Use olive oil.
    I disagree.

I got the shaving oil from WalMart and loved it. I then tried olive oil and canola oil. The shaving oil is *much* more protective.

Jonathan

Trail shaving thread. Way cool.

No morning ablutions routine is complete without a helmet full of hot soapy water and little whiskers staring up at you. Now of course I will have to do it without soap, or helmet, but I do intend to shave everyday. That's the advantage of being a pack sniffer, you can intend to do almost anything.

Best choice of razor?
    How do you keep it sharp?
    What's the best lubricant?
    Should you bring a shaving brush and mug?
    Best multiple uses for shaving brush and mug?
    Best aftershave?

Dropped my razor into my full cup of coffee this morning. Doh! What a mess! And it was good coffee. Shaving sucks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++