WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My wife has a million and one things for me to do this weekend, bu I will try and take a ride and hit a few of the trail heads and at least let people know if the trail has been used. (Kent, Cornwal, Falls Villiage, Sharon) We have had back to back storms since Friday so I am not expecting much. If I make it out look for a post Saturday night.

Images

You will need crampons coming down from bear mtn, If you decide to bypass and go the paradise lane route - it will be a short distance from the brassie brook shelter going north - take a right at the trail intersection and then a left about 1/2 mile down..

Race falls trail is doable also to rt 41..

Uncommitted Section Hiker Fornfearen's Avatar

Default dates for this trip

I think it's better for me to do this trip before climbing in the Whites because it will be less demanding than the Whites, and will help prepare me for them. So if the weather cooperates, I'd like to start this hike on Wed, 12/26, or Thurs, 12/27. depending on when I leave Burlington, VT. That could be Christmas day evening, or maybe not til the next morning. Ideally, I'd like to hike Wed-Fri, take Sat. off, and maybe hike one or two more days.
    For anyone who is still interested, as the time draws near, and forecasts are available for these dates, we can PM to exchange phone #s and e-mail. I don't have a cell, but can check my home answering machine for messages.
    It's possible that after this trip I might want to continue at another time during my break. Possible, but not probable. But if I catch the bug (the AT hiking bug, not a deer tick) I may be enthusiastic about continuing north right away!

Wystiria,
    Welcome to Whiteblaze! Thanks for pointing out the Glen Brook trial! I hadn't noticed it, and it does look better. According to my Topo program, it adds only 1.5 miles, +450', and -300' compared to exiting on the Race Bk. Trail. It also means 200' less reclimbing the next day to get back on the AT.
    Fornfearen----[Middle Earth Elfish for "Northern Wandering Spirit"]
    "Don't believe everything you think."

hey fornfearen - unless something drastic comes up, count me in for part if not all of the time. i have been working on i just started working on salisbury-vt recently and have gone only up to the crossing at rt 41 (a quick overnighter from salisbury, stayed at racebrook falls campsite) it was last week the day after the 12 inches of snow - the decent from bear was icy and crampons could have helped but not bad at all. the other steep decent is the last bit of trail before hitting rt 41 and the cow fields - very short ledge you come down from and it was icier and more dangerous than bear. still nothing to be too concerned about. i did it without snowshoes as well, my legs were a bit sore the next day. another potentially dangerous area if the temps are right is the loop by racebook falls, only since the spray can coat the surrounding area up to 200 ft with a nice clear layer.
    i have been looking for hikers to go out with since it alleviates a lot of my wifes valid fears of going solo when it is 20* out. i am off 27-30 of dec. and besides a quick dinner one of the evenings I should be able to join you!
    as far as speed and skill, i do comfortable 9-12 mile with these shorter days and certainly do not feel the need to do more unless there is a destination we need to make. i have been hiking on and off for 20 years now (did more in my younger years with my pop) but have not done much of the AT recently, and only lately have re-upped my gear to more conventional lightweight stuff.

let me know regarding plans and destinations - i was going to be doing the same area during the same time frame

Images

hey guys i just want to remind you all that if there is snow on the ground and the trails are unblazed the going will be sumwhat slower. if the trails are packed you will be fine..just make sure you take these factors into consideration when planing mileage..other than that"have a great hike"........peace out, nitewalker

Assuming no disasters on my end, I plan to join you guys out there as well.

if someone could come up with a potential itinerary with start date, approx choice of shelter/site per night, and total distance I think it would help us out in establishing a plan...
    personally, i may have to leave and return depending on when we are meeting up with my in-laws for dinner (i work the 25-26).
    if nothing else i will meet up with you and do an overnighter at the least.

ps. i doubt the trails will be packed unless it is from rain/ice... i've been out 6 times in the last 3 weeks and everytime i'm the only footprint out there, nice but nitewalker is right, i had to be extra vigilant but most of the going was pretty easy.
    i need snowshoes... geez

THanks for the welcome! I have been reading these boards forever and could have sworn I had a log in. LOL but no dice.

Anyway - elbow trail is a nice trail a few water falls along it too. We used it recently to hike in to Hemlock shelter at night on a friday after work.

I am super JEALOUS that I can't join you! sounds like the right milage for me and everything. *sigh* but I will have house guests. and although my mom is a BPer, my stepfather is most certianly not!

enjoy! I will watch this thread in case the dates change and I can go!

I will say though that my DH and I are planning to head out to the area at least one weekend in January if we can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    hey fornfearen - unless something drastic comes up, count me in for part if not all of the time. i have been working on i just started working on salisbury-vt recently and have gone only up to the crossing at rt 41 (a quick overnighter from salisbury, stayed at racebrook falls campsite) .... I'm currently favoring a day hike from Salisbury to the Glen Brook trail down to the Berkshire School. If this happens on the 26th, how would this fit with your plans? And if it happens on the 27th? i am off 27-30 of dec. and besides a quick dinner one of the evenings I should be able to join you!
    as far as speed and skill, i do comfortable 9-12 mile with these shorter days and certainly do not feel the need to do more unless there is a destination we need to make. Is that 9-12 miles as a day hike, or with a full pack?

let me know regarding plans and destinations - i was going to be doing the same area during the same time frame

I think that first section would be about 15 miles, with +3700' elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    hey guys i just want to remind you all that if there is snow on the ground and the trails are unblazed the going will be sumwhat slower. if the trails are packed you will be fine..just make sure you take these factors into consideration when planing mileage..other than that"have a great hike"........peace out, nitewalker
    Are the trails that poorly marked in this section? Even if they're well blazed, I know how hard it is to find white markers on trees plastered with snow. That's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    if someone could come up with a potential itinerary with start date, approx choice of shelter/site per night, and total distance I think it would help us out in establishing a plan...
    personally, i may have to leave and return depending on when we are meeting up with my in-laws for dinner (i work the 25-26).
    if nothing else i will meet up with you and do an overnighter at the least.
    A potential itinerary, eh?
    For safety and ease over the rugged and icy stretches , I'd prefer to hike Salisbury to the Berkshire School with a day pack. However, given the possibilities that nitewalker raised, trail breaking and trail finding might be so time consuming that it might be more safe to have overnight gear than to have an easily manageable day pack. I hate dealing with this kind of question, especially since it's based on conditions we don't know yet and might not even know at the trailhead.
    I've been trying to come up with just a potential itinerary for almost an hour now. Right now I can't, so I'll just throw out some more info and ask some questions.
    nitewalker's name reminded me about hiking styles, so I'll tell you more about mine.
    --I don't mind hiking at night, though not on steep or icy trails. But I've done that too.
    --My range can vary quite a bit. In December '05, I had one lethargic day in which I backpacked 10 miles in 10 hours. Some of that mileage was along the Housatonic, about the easiest stretch on the AT. The next day I felt better and backpacked 15.5 miles in 13 hours. So I really poke along with a heavy load, but I can can keep at it a long time.
    --Day hiking in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks I've done 14+ hour days covering ~20 miles and gaining 4000'elevation or more.
    --I do only easy, non-strenuous hikes on Saturdays, which can be very inconvenient, especially if this trip starts on Thursday.
    --If there's no rain in the forecast, I won't carry a tent; just a large sheet of plastic. With this I'll camp anywhere I think I won't disturb or be disturbed by anyone. So I'm not limited to shelters. Again, hiking car-to-car, I would go a short distance back or forward on the trail to just lay out my bag and sleep. Starting ~7 miles before the Tom Leonard L/T there look to be many opportunities to just crash in the woods.
    --I will most definitely bring full crampons, and possibly an ice ax, and would go up and over Bear Mtn. if everyone else is comfortable with that.
    --I will also have snowshoes with aggressive cleats. At the last minute I may decide to leave the shoes in the the car.
    --My knees aren't great, so don't be shocked if you see me going downhill backwards. It helps a lot.
    --When I drive a long distance to work on the AT, I want to maximize the trail distance. So I prefer doing a series of high mileage day hikes.
    However, if a hiking partner strongly prefers to backpack, I'll do that in addition.

Questions:
    --Those of you who are most likely to join me (looks like JZakhar, Dingus Khan, and possibly Sasquatch 2014), what are your preferences?
    --Do you have full crampons and confidence in them? If not, the Paradise bypass is ok with me, if it's an officially accepted AT bypass. I didn't get any replies to that question.
    --Is it worth your while to hike 2 days, take a day off (or at least without me) and continue another day or so? Maybe it's the tiredness of 1AM, or the lack of physical preparations so far, but at this point, getting in a full day on 12/26 doesn't seem likely. If 3 consecutive days is important, I'll try.
    --Where do you prefer to sleep?
    --Do you have any questions, suggestions, concerns, quirks, etc.?

Good Night.
    Fornfearen

Hey Fornfearen et al
    To answer to your first question I did the section with a 25-30lb pack - I think total mileage if I remember correctly was around 18 miles for 2 days, the first from 41 in Salisbury to Sages Ravine campground (I was mistaken about campsites, was not Racebrook but Sages that I stayed at... I get those two areas confused all the time) with the second day being a longer but somewhat easier day. Although bear is an easier climb nobo than Everett, I have always flown over Everett faster it seems. I had no trouble following the southern part of that trail but north of Bushnell I got off track three times, my own lack of paying attention being the cause. They were not difficult days and I could have easily extended them (got into camp around 3 the first day, but had to walk back to my car along 41 the second - that SUCKED!!. I kind of was hoping to hitch it, but that failed. I don't count 10 miles road walk as mileage either - it doesn't deserve the title
    During warmer months I hammock, winter I am more confident with an old 3 season tent I have (I get down in the 20's in my hammock) The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that it is not free-standing which is a real pain in icy terrain. It is an old eureka cirrus and we have been through hell together so replacing it has been tough. It weighs less than 3 lbs too... I'll miss it when its gone. If we backpack I will be limited to finding an ok campsite, or shelter would be OK to. I don't trust the water proofness of my bag - just lack of experienced exposure with it. (EMS Mountain Light 20 with Pertex shell - says it water resistant but I haven't really had to test it yet)

As far as personal schedule and destinations, I have done the section from Salisbury to Rt 41 in MA twice and was hoping to meet up with you guys heading into the Beartown State Forest section. I am working on the 26th and would catch up with you most likely on the trail around 10ish on the 27th, depending on your route of course I could adjust the timing as needed. I expect to hike up one of the access trails and hang out until you reach me since "catching up" can be a pain...

I would rather do Bear Mt section again than miss out, so I will plan on joining you regardless of destination, unless you DO plan on continuing north afterwards, (ie Salisbury-MA rt 41 on the 26th-27th, Beartown 28th-29th etc) at which point I would meet up with you for the latter section.

I can poke along as well, it takes me 3 days to really get my 18+mile/day legs, so these 1-2 nighters that are most common for me tend to be ~10 miles days with no pressure to go farther. I can go a lot farther if I have to, or get to an early start, but I tend to choose enjoyment over distance when on a quick trip. I tend to plan for shorter days and extend them depending on how the day is progressing. Sometimes that "6 more miles to the next shelter" doesn't sound so bad at 6pm when you see a bunch of drinking teens at the pre-planned site..
    As far as day pack distance, with an sun-up start and return to car for sundown I can get in a comfy 20 miles depending on who I'm with. Some people push me and others slow me down. Solo is best but I find myself dilly-dallying (pictures, galavanting off-trail, tracking animals, swimming etc).... I did a 7 mile day in the whites once... ALL day... lol

I have not done much winter night-hiking but weather permitting I have no qualms with it.. rain or heavy snow tend to make that a pain IMO. My headlamp is a 3 bulb Princeton Tec - good to about 20 feet, not the best but it works. Night hiking is more familiar to me during the warmer months, but I find tenters have a hard time finding a suitable area and can get frustrated with setting up camp. Hammockers can just hang wherever making it much faster to hit the sack at 10pm. I am interested in the whole "find spot - lay down" technique though. Seems a lot more practical. I hammock, tent and tarp, I just can't choose my favorite since they all have pro's and cons. Hammocking is def. the most comfy and I sleep the best.

--I do mostly day hikes in winter and would also be happy to do that as well.

["-When I drive a long distance to work on the AT, I want to maximize the trail distance. So I prefer doing a series of high mileage day hikes."]
    Question - if you do day hikes, where do you sleep? Do you car camp and then hit the trail again the next AM? How do you get your car from location A to location B?

Answers:
    1- My preferences are to head north of Rt 41 in MA but will join up with you when possible wherever you are..
    2- I do not have crampons and limited experience with them, but what better chance to learn! Would these suffice? The reason I am asking is because I live 0.5 mile from an EMS and have been looking at these as a reasonably-priced option but have never used the half-length type. The are so much easier to pack though :

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1198158715241

I just called them and the West Hartford EMS will rent a full set for 3 days for only 20$.

3. I do not know what my plans would be if you were to break it up in two sections. I have the 27th 28th, 29th, 30th available and will try to maximize my trail time with you guys during those 4 days. It doesn't look as though I will be forced to meet up with the in-laws, so as of now those days are completely free.

4 - I think I addressed the sleeping thing earlier - I will plan on tenting unless we day hike. I am not fond of B&B or hotels since they eat up much needed gear stash money. There is a great B&B open at the base of RaceBrook Falls... I am sure they cater to many thru's during the reg. season.

I guess it comes down to this: plan whatever you think is best since you are probably driving the farthest distance. My four days are open and I will meet up when and where I can.
    Have a great day.

Dan

For my part, I have no preference as to what we do, I am 33 years old, I can put down 10 miles in the snow with a 30 lb pack on. I own crampons, but my ice axe is somewhere on the flume slide trail heh.

I plan to bring a full pack and 2 person tent. If we end up off trail in a motel/BB so be it, but id rather be prepared since I will be many hours from home.

Regarding the actual hike times, I am open to whatever everyone else wants to do. If yall want to hike for 2 days and take one off ok. If not then ok too.

I would say when it comes to me, plan your hike and just know I have to be out of the woods by Jan 7th to make an appointment on teh 8th. Otherwise, I have all teh gear to hike whereever you all decide on.

Hey Folks!

I was in Beartown St. Forest in Oct (I hike in this section alllll the time basically have done CT and MA 10 or more times over) anyway its pretty easy hiking! AND there is a parking spot on Old beartown rd. I believe is the name. You can get pretty darn far in from teh OPOSITE way in NOT thru the park. even if its not passable there is parking pull off al ittle less than a mile from the trail crossing. It is a dirt rd. however. You can see this rd. on the AT map - its not a listed parking area. we left our car there for 3 days no problem. there is also a pull off spot on Jug end rd.

Anyway - if anyone wants to go out on a weekend in January I am game.

Sounds like I might be faster than you guys but I am used to hiking with all levels and have no issues slowing down. I also am an "energizer bunny" and can go for hours I routinely hike in the dark - and I slow WAY down going down hill. esspecially if its icy.

I do prefer to camp - I love to cook on teh trail and am known to carry heavier food for the pleasure of a good meal. I almost always have my outback oven on me and almost always make dessert.....in Nov it was carmel brownies. and Steak fajitas I even carried an avocado lol

I always carry a tent - I have a plethora of them! 3 and 4 season tents. Enough to lend if someone is interested. I have everything from 1 man not freestanding to 3 man freestanding in both 3 and 4 seasosn. (I used to teach Backpacking)

I like to bring my husband along he is a great packhorse LOL and amuses me with his antics besides he is a HOT sleeper

Let me know if you are interested in a 2nd trip on a weekend Also this fall I hiked this entire section so ask questions if you have them

OHHHH and Paradise lane is the AT excepted By-pass trail!!

Oh and you can find me in all the registers in this section as Wystiria lol usually Wystiria & Sherpa

Wystiria,

Id be game for a weekend outing in Jan, I just left my job, I am here in CT biding my time until my March departuer for Georgia, so I will jump at every chance to get in the woods and do some walking..

I am also one known to carry a few extra pounds of food so I can eat well. I've never seen any baking, but I make really good curry chicken =)

ooohhhh curry chicken! yum!

Maybe we shoudl start our own thread? and not hijack this one?

anyway we are available the 12th and the 19th weekends. I think the last weekend is out because it will most likely be "christmas" with the inlaws.

I am determined to get out 10 out of 12 months in 08' that is the goal. Ken my DH is missing sections south of lions head in CT, and North of Upper Goose pond in MA. and of course hte coupl of miles from Jug end road to the intersection of Elbow trail on teh AT. He would love to capture any of these! I think he is also missing NY. Though I took him on his first trip ever to do all of NJ

We live in Cheshire ct - where are you located? and soooo exciting to be thru-hiking!!!!!! I thru hiked in 98' but didn't complete the whole thing due to injury and am now section hiking what I am missing.

I live in Old Saybrook, the shoreline area by Old Lyme et al. Either of those weekends or both sound fine to me, as do the locations Ken needs. I am really flexable, my only goal is to get out and walk, I really don't much care where it is =)

Ok lets plan for the 12th. I will pull out the maps and trail data book and plan something. How are you for hiking in on a friday evening? we have a tendency to do this so as to not have to drive up early sat day.

FYI my personal email is my screen name here at gmail. just make sure you spell it the way I do and not the correct way! LOL

Obviously anyone who want to come out the weekend of the 12th is more than welcome!!!

Friday is just as good as any other day. I have no problems night hiking. My email is jzakhar at gmail dot com, cell is 860-335-6270 if anyone wants to work out details via the phone. Just added teh 12th to my calendar.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++