WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scale....

Default Scale....

Well, all I can say is WOW. I just picked up a scale the other day at Staples. I took it home to measure some stuff that I was courious about and I was in for a big shock. The lantern I was carrying was heavy and I knew it, but it came in at 2.45 pounds!!!! I'm swapping for a flashlight/lantern this week thats 2.5oz's. Same goes for the 3oz stuff sack and many other things that were exremely heavy that I was carrying. The biggest one was my bag. I put it on the scale (5lb limit) and it maxed it out! Im just happy that Im realizing this stuff so I can start upgrading to smaller/lighter gear.

Congrats, you're now officially a Gram Weenie. And I mean that in a good way.

Yea, Im trying to be but Im having a hard time lol. There are just a few things that I'm going to sacrafice on. Stove & mess kit. The rest of it Im going to try and go as light as possible. I'm using a Optimus Nova + stove which is considered pretty heavy to most but I just want to have a reliable stove on my thru hike. And for the mess kit I'm using a GSI 1L pot/lid w/ lexan utensils. I have a 5000ci Jansport ruck right now weighing in at 3lb 14oz's but Im going to upgrade to a ULA Catalyst (I think). Marmott bag, golite clothing, BA SL1 tent for winter and tarptent for summer. Im trying How unusual is it to be under 30lb's on a thru-hike? The last trip I went on was a weekend trip, I weighted in at 36lbs (w/ food & water) with lots of heavy gear (2lb lantern, heavy misc equiptment, 5lb sleeping bag, heavy clothes, etc.)

By the sounds of it you're doing great and well on your way to a very light pack! Congrats!

Bigboots

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Yea, Im trying to be but Im having a hard time lol. There are just a few things that I'm going to sacrafice on. Stove & mess kit. The rest of it Im going to try and go as light as possible. I'm using a Optimus Nova + stove which is considered pretty heavy to most but I just want to have a reliable stove on my thru hike. And for the mess kit I'm using a GSI 1L pot/lid w/ lexan utensils. I have a 5000ci Jansport ruck right now weighing in at 3lb 14oz's but Im going to upgrade to a ULA Catalyst (I think). Marmott bag, golite clothing, BA SL1 tent for winter and tarptent for summer. Im trying How unusual is it to be under 30lb's on a thru-hike? The last trip I went on was a weekend trip, I weighted in at 36lbs (w/ food & water) with lots of heavy gear (2lb lantern, heavy misc equiptment, 5lb sleeping bag, heavy clothes, etc.)
    Let me make a suggestion - ignore it if you want. Nothing should be sacred no matter how long you have been toting it or how reliable you think it is. You may find really on that your stove is more than you want, same thing can go for clothing, pots, or anything else. I think you can make it under 30 easy - but be advised, don't skimp on food trying to get light.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I think you are carrying to much weight already; sleeping bag should be no more then 3lbs, mine @.3lbs. Total weight inclueding pack 25-30lbs is w/food & water.

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    I think you are carrying to much weight already; sleeping bag should be no more then 3lbs, mine @.3lbs. Total weight inclueding pack 25-30lbs is w/food & water.
    I was going to try and get my hands on a Marmott Helium.... comming in way under 3lb's.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Let me make a suggestion - ignore it if you want. Nothing should be sacred no matter how long you have been toting it or how reliable you think it is. You may find really on that your stove is more than you want, same thing can go for clothing, pots, or anything else. I think you can make it under 30 easy - but be advised, don't skimp on food trying to get light.
    I NEVER ignore suggestions, even if I dont like them lol. I carry nothing sacred in my bag. I have not bought any of this stuff yet except for the stove. I believe that my GF is buying me the GSI Extreme kit for Christmas but I only plan on using the 1L pot/lid which will set me back about 11oz's. I'm doing a week long trip sometime this summer and Im going to try and have my ruck set up as if I were thru hiking. If I dont like the stove or feel that its too heavy, etc. I will have no problems looking into a different one. Also, instead of using their bottles Im going to try and look for some titanium bottles to try and make up for some of the added oz's from the stove.

I sure hope that I can keep it around 30lb's. And no, I absolutly do not plan on skimping on food/water, etc.

Images

My wife and I wound up with 3 scales. We have a 5 pound postal scale, a 15 pound fish scale and a 50 pound fish scale. With that combination we can weigh anything from small individual items to full packs.

Images

Yeah, I know what you mean. A simple fish scale was an eye opener for me. My Everest self-inflatable mattress was 7lbs! No wonder I slept so well on it after lugging it around all day.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Yea that might have something to do with it.

Images

While Im no ultra lighter by any means, having a scale (or 2) does help get the weight down! I first started going to the PO late at night... got tired of that, broke down and got a good postal scale on ebay for cheap. That helped with individual items.

Most recently, I bought the 50# hanging fish scale from WalMart. I find it interesting to see my overall pack weight right before I head out the door!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

This is funny.
    There was a similar thread on here somewhere and after reading it I picked up a small digital scale that weighs up to ? 10 pounds.
    I started weighing everything and writing the weights down...
    I am not an ultralighter but using that scale has made me more weight conscious.

I use these cheap scales that only go up to 16oz. I calibrate them with water. For stuff over a pound I try and weigh myself with and without on the bathroom scales, and with and without another 0.5 pounds of water, but its hit and miss. I have played around with lever type scales also, but almost brought the chandelier down. I should probably get some scales.

I think it be lot easy just put all in the pack weigh it and do it that way then see what needs cut down for less weight or replace

Images

But say you have 3 water bottle options... unless you can tell by hand which is actually lighter, a scale comes in handy. those little ounces add up to big pounds!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I would go with an alcohol stove, they are really reliable and only way a few grams... I used a tarptent for the whole hike and it was no problem.. but it is your preference.. Also coming up the first part of thisyear in the south it is going to be drier than normal and you might have to carry more water. This is even more of a reason for going really light.. To make "weight room" for the extra water.. Also I used just two little photon lights for most of the hike,needless to say I did very little night hiking...

... Also, instead of using their bottles Im going to try and look for some titanium bottles to try and make up for some of the added oz's from the stove.
    There's a very small weight difference between the usual fuel bottles and the titanium ones and the cost is very high.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I weighed my MSR bottle and I think it was something in the mid-high 4oz range. I thought that the titanium bottles were like 1.5? Thats a good enough savings for me if I can find a decently priced one somewhere. I was going to look for a 20oz.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Check out the gear selling forums.
    I think Smile was selling a Helium.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++