WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Unhappy I miss the trail & the holidays make it worse.

Once you thru-hike your life is boiled down to what you can carry. Your needs are simple and your goal is to do with less, always less. What can I get rid of out of my pack? Do I really need this?

Your first big holiday when you get off the trail is Thanksgiving. You get to see everyone and have a lot of reason to give thanks.

Then there is Christmas. Designed to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ but with all the changes to the calendar since then who really knows when that was. It really has become a holiday of consumerism.

We are gripped with this weird need to go buy material things for people. We buy things for people we barley even know. We buy things people do even need or want. We feel guilty if we do not buy things. We also feel guilty when we get a gift. Was our gift equal? Is there an unspoken need for reciprocity?

I moved just before my thru-hike and I threw lots of stuff out. When I started un-boxing after the move I realized I still had way too much stuff. I did a 3 paragraph rant on my journal about my useless stuff. I am still throwing out stuff and people are wasting their money trying to buy me more stuff for Christmas. Save your money or give it to charity.

I am depressed.
    Last edited by the_iceman; 12-19-2007 at 09:53.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

it's all about choices. if nothing changes, nothing changes. there are children dying in cancer wards as we type and you're depressed? get a grip. it's just a trail. be thankful you can walk

There are some great trails in ocala.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino wraps a loving tail around the IceMan :::

IceMan, Christmas can be a good time to get the things you need for doing trail maintenance - and your family can have loads of fun trying to figure where in blazes to buy a fire rake ....

Not sure what faith you embrace, if any, but most have some sort of significant event associated with this season. Looking at that instead of the materialistic holiday this has become may help.

One of the best ways to bust up a pity party is to help others - find yourself an opportunity to be of service to your fellow man
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-19-2007 at 09:54.

Images

Default Hey I have changed, I just wish the world would...

But I guess I just have to keep doing my part.

Images

Default Lone Wolf makes a good point

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it's all about choices. if nothing changes, nothing changes. there are children dying in cancer wards as we type and you're depressed? get a grip. it's just a trail. be thankful you can walk
    Instead of buying useless crap let's put that money someplace it would do some good.

BTW, I am thankful I can walk and have a damn good life. I would like to see people start taking care of one another instead of trying to buy their way through life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the_iceman View Post
    Then there is Christmas........It really has become a holiday of consumerism.
    My wife and I stopped giving presents years ago. Much of our extended family and some of our friends think we're misguided but we knew that would be the case when we made the decission. Now when we want to do something for a person, at any time of year, we donate to a charity in their honor and then send the person a card letting them know. If they can't appreciate that it's their loss.

Instead of buying useless crap let's put that money someplace it would do some good.

BTW, I am thankful I can walk and have a damn good life. I would like to see people start taking care of one another instead of trying to buy their way through life.
    then don't buy into the Xmas BS. i do not buy gifts for anybody. a little something for gypsy but that's it. nothing for family or friends. i'm not a christian so it means nothing to me. it's all marketing. cheer up.

Images

Default A good move.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife and I stopped giving presents years ago. Much of our extended family and some of our friends think we're misguided but we knew that would be the case when we made the decission. Now when we want to do something for a person, at any time of year, we donate to a charity in their honor and then send the person a card letting them know. If they can't appreciate that it's their loss.
    Even beyond the lack of need for "wordly goods" that develops on the trail is the community you become part of. The openness and caring hikers show to one another on the trail is like something out of a black & white movie about small town America 75 years ago.

Have y'all seen the charity gift cards that are now available on the Web? They allow you to give people money that can be used for the charity of their choice - that lets you be less presumptuous by not choosing the charity for them, and lets them have the good feeling of choosing to give to something good.

If you are giving to someone who also wants to get away from the consumerism and materialism that Christmas has become, it's a good way to go.

Jonathan

What gets me is that christmas is based on a lie that we tell our children.Im for celebrating christmas,but lieing about it creates dishonesty.

Stuff is neutral.
    Only Love is real.

There's the right stuff and there is stuff better left @ home.Carry only the light stuff so you are always able to see through it to what is important.When people give you stuff the love behind the stuff may be genuine..never be ungrateful or tell a friend to stuff it at Christmas time.
    And what is a turkey without stuffing.
    Even Jesus got stuff for Christmas..
    maybe He started Goodwill.

Piece and luv to u$ all.

Sandalwood

Iceman...."The final value of any expedition is not what you failed to discover but what you found in it's place" (Dayton Duncan)

Christmas itself is for family, not about stuff. A "present" is a way of telling the special people around you that they are still very special in your life. That's a "present" you can't find in any store.In my family we make something for each other rather that buying.I took a picture of my son and myself on top of Mount Phillips that was taken this summer and made a frame out of some stained wood we had and wrapped it up for my wife.For my son I made him a CD of some of his favorite songs and added some of my own that I thought were special to me as they remind me of either times he and I have had together or all of us as a family this year.For my Mom I took a half day off of work and took her to lunch...any place she wanted. That's something I have not done in a long time!We had a blast.

You can visit your local childrens home, or orphanage. Go to an assisted living center and visit the senoirs who have no family. Put together a power point of your adventures and tell how it has effected your life in such a positive way.That's what Christmas is!

I will say it though....Merry Christmas to all of you! May God bless you and your families and may your paths be soft and the sunshine fall warmly on your faces. May you and all of your families have a blessed New Year.

Images

Once you thru-hike your life is boiled down to what you can carry. Your needs are simple and your goal is to do with less, always less. What can I get rid of out of my pack? Do I really need this?

Your first big holiday when you get off the trail is Thanksgiving. You get to see everyone and have a lot of reason to give thanks.

Then there is Christmas. Designed to celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ but with all the changes to the calendar since then who really knows when that was. It really has become a holiday of consumerism.

We are gripped with this weird need to go buy material things for people. We buy things for people we barley even know. We buy things people do even need or want. We feel guilty if we do not buy things. We also feel guilty when we get a gift. Was our gift equal? Is there an unspoken need for reciprocity?

I moved just before my thru-hike and I threw lots of stuff out. When I started un-boxing after the move I realized I still had way too much stuff. I did a 3 paragraph rant on my journal about my useless stuff. I am still throwing out stuff and people are wasting their money trying to buy me more stuff for Christmas. Save your money or give it to charity.

I am depressed.
    the longer i hang around this forum, the more i realize thru-hikers are like soldiers (those who've deployed). you know what's important... life, water, food, friends who've got your back covered, dry socks, and the stuff you can carry. probably just about in that order too... just about everything else is a luxury to be treasured... a sunset/sunrise, stars, birds singing...

focus on what you learned from the trail. hang with people who have similar values. quit watching TV. don't go to the mall. buy a smaller car and be proud of it. basically, make it (your lesson) a lifestyle. religion works in there too, regardless of what it is... all of them, at their core, teach 'do unto others'. even aristotle, raised a non-christian/ jew/ buddhist/ muslim/ hindu (not meant to be all-inclusive, but covers the biggies) realized the great truth that virtue is it's own reward. you can feel bad for all those who don't get 'it'... but don't try to change them all... just live, and pass "it" on to those who are ready to learn... you're not responsible for all of them.

give your received gifts to charity. your friends will eventually get the message.

merry christmas, iceman. peace and simplicity to you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    the longer i hang around this forum, the more i realize thru-hikers are like soldiers (those who've deployed). you know what's important... life, water, food, friends who've got your back covered, dry socks, and the stuff you can carry. probably just about in that order too... just about everything else is a luxury to be treasured... a sunset/sunrise, stars, birds singing...

focus on what you learned from the trail. hang with people who have similar values. quit watching TV. don't go to the mall. buy a smaller car and be proud of it. basically, make it (your lesson) a lifestyle. religion works in there too, regardless of what it is... all of them, at their core, teach 'do unto others'. even aristotle, raised a non-christian/ jew/ buddhist/ muslim/ hindu (not meant to be all-inclusive, but covers the biggies) realized the great truth that virtue is it's own reward. you can feel bad for all those who don't get 'it'... but don't try to change them all... just live, and pass "it" on to those who are ready to learn... you're not responsible for all of them.

give your received gifts to charity. your friends will eventually get the message.

merry christmas, iceman. peace and simplicity to you and yours.
    Well stated my friend!!
    Last edited by gold bond; 12-19-2007 at 11:12. Reason: Misspelled

I just don't like where things are going. Christmas season begins around Halloween now, and it's all a maketing scheme. As soon as the Halloween candy goes on sale, the Christmas trees go up. I'm not sure why you don't see this in other religions? Do you ever hear of a 24 hour Hanukkah sale? Then you have Easter, the "Super Bowl" of christianity, and you have a friggin bunny rabbit symbolizing the single most important day in this faith? At least I can the symbolism in gift giving at Christmas, as the three wise-men broght gifts to Jesus. It's all just a joke to me.

Images

My family has implemented the no gifts idea this x-mas. It's ridiculous how much money and effort and stress is involved in shopping. I think donating to a worthy charity is money much better spent than giving each other more stuff we don't need, can't use or don't want. I hear ya Iceman. I've been donating much of my old wardrobe and personal belongings to local shelters and churches. I have stupid amounts of stuff and someone else could benefit a lot more from them, than me having 9 different long sleeved shirts or 3 pairs of sweat pants.

Don't get down. You can't solve the worlds problems in a day, a lifetime or by yourself. Do your part, live simply, tread softly, and give back. That's all anyone can ask for.

Lastly, be happy for what you do have. Like the trail. and family. and life.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I see that I'm not the only one that noticed the Christmas commercials starting even before Thanksgiving! I thought I was imagining it!

It's like anything else..what started as a nice gesture way back when(giving gifts) has turned into a "one upsmanship" thing!!

My family does celebrate Christmas as we believe that it's Jesus's birthday but other than that it has become unbearable at times!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    I just don't like where things are going. Christmas season begins around Halloween now, and it's all a maketing scheme. As soon as the Halloween candy goes on sale, the Christmas trees go up. I'm not sure why you don't see this in other religions? Do you ever hear of a 24 hour Hanukkah sale? Then you have Easter, the "Super Bowl" of christianity, and you have a friggin bunny rabbit symbolizing the single most important day in this faith? At least I can the symbolism in gift giving at Christmas, as the three wise-men broght gifts to Jesus. It's all just a joke to me.
    and how many of you tree huggers go buy a tree, put all the crap on it then toss it away a couple of weeks later. who came up with that dumb tradition?

Another good point LW! Let's spend $100 on a tree, that starts dying the second you cut it, and lets put it in our house. Oh, let's put light on it and hope it doesn't catch on fire. Great idea!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++