WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Canada Lynx returning to Vermont

Seeing one of these cats is becoming slightly more possible in VT/NH and Maine. Snowshoe Hare is their favorite meal. I had a Snowshoe Hare bounding around in my front yard last summer like it was lost. Kind of funny as it leaped around like a Kangaroo. These guys get some air time.
    At top speed, a snowshoe hare can travel up to 27 mile per hour. An adult hare can cover up to 10 feet in a single bound
    WALK ON

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Question "canada" linx??

mmmm. the earth is just wide open space. i get a kick out of when we as humans try to put a political branding on critters as if they might actually know what country they're from. kinda along the same lines as when one hears the chant" i'm proud to be an american". well that may be true, but are you north,central, or south "american"?

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    mmmm. the earth is just wide open space. i get a kick out of when we as humans try to put a political branding on critters as if they might actually know what country they're from. kinda along the same lines as when one hears the chant" i'm proud to be an american". well that may be true, but are you north,central, or south "american"?
    The ones from Canada go meow-eh?

I always thought a Snowshoe Hare was the same as the Arctic Hare (Lepus arcticus), but I guess its the same as the Varying Hare (Lepus americanus). Thanks.

Lepus americanus would go " EH! MEOW! "... except they don't meow.

I've found a couple of bodyless Hares or Rabbits around in the past. Just the head lay remaining on the snow/ground. I'm not sure if this is a cat trait or Owl.???? Wildlife experts please?
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I've found a couple of bodyless Hares or Rabbits around in the past. Just the head lay remaining on the snow/ground. I'm not sure if this is a cat trait or Owl.???? Wildlife experts please?
    Clearly the hallmark of a Yeti.

On a similar note, back in the 80s I worked near the NJ Meadowlands. In a small town park in Leonia, NJ someone found 4 or 5 rabbits lined up with just their hearts removed. Local residents suspected devil worshipers, and it made the press. A stakeout by wildlife officials reveled the presence of a ravenous Great Horned Owl. Rabbits were so plentiful in the area that the owl was just eating select organs!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    The ones from Canada go meow-eh?
    yup and they're quite accomplished in snow travel as shown here in this documetary film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTzOckNT6Sc

donating member; velo vermont!

last winter i was backcounty xc skiing in N VT with a friend and we found what we thought were snowshoe hare tracks heading in our direction. after about 100 feet or so we just saw a hole in the snow, wingprints, and no more footprints. the wing span was probably 3 feet or so. absolutley beautiful prints of the wings.

an owl, we presume. snowshoe hare?

Images

A recent article in The Reading Eagle indicated a red-bellied woodpecker head was found in the vicinity of a downtown church. Peregrines were suspected. Don't know who they worship.

An online search for the culprit decapitating the poor bunnies and stealing their bodies today turned up nothing.
    I suspect Barred Owls though as they've been seen and heard frequently in the area .
    WALK ON

Images

I'd be more interested in whitefish, salmon or brook trout myself. I don't care for the heads either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I'd be more interested in whitefish, salmon or brook trout myself.
    You've never had my slow-cooked Bunny stew
    WALK ON

Images

Am I to take what I just read as a dinner invitation?

Images

Long as you're not shacked with anyone that resembles Glenn Close, you're OK.

On a serious note: Do the crows clean them up? They eat anything here. (not baked beans, but you know, every other thing and roadkill.)

It is if you can be here by tomorrow eve.

MH: On a serious note: Do the crows clean them up? They eat anything here. (not baked beans, but you know, every other thing and roadkill.)
    You must have the same kind of crows I do. Ravens clean up too.
    WALK ON

I'm wondering if in below freezing conditions when the body is found frozen as it usually is, if it is the practice of some trappers to remove the head and feet from bodies of varying hares when they are caught in snares. This would be to save weight. I understand you can't skin them right away when they are frozen, but you might still be able to remove the head and feet. Anyone?

Images

It is if you can be here by tomorrow eve.
    That's kind of you, but I don't believe in trail magic.

I thought I might still be a few mileposts shy of 27. Seems I've already passed beyond MAP. Is the Kennebec frozen at the crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm wondering if in below freezing conditions when the body is found frozen as it usually is, if it is the practice of some trappers to remove the head and feet from bodies of varying hares when they are caught in snares. This would be to save weight. I understand you can't skin them right away when they are frozen, but you might still be able to remove the head and feet. Anyone?
    I can say for certain that the rabbits i mentioned were not trapped. Both being on my woodland, with no human tracks besides mine. If someone has been on my turf besides me, I know.
    An interesting bit of nature at work though isn't it?

That's kind of you, but I don't believe in trail magic.

I thought I might still be a few mileposts shy of 27. Seems I've already passed beyond MAP. Is the Kennebec frozen at the crossing?
    Have not been anywhere near the crossing lately but doubt it's frozen over yet as other rivers still have a channel open in the middle.
    BTY, I don't do trail magic.
    WALK ON

I can say for certain that the rabbits i mentioned were not trapped. Both being on my woodland, with no human tracks besides mine. If someone has been on my turf besides me, I know.
    An interesting bit of nature at work though isn't it?
    Very interesting.
    I see more clearly now why you suspect a bird of prey. A Snowy Owl perhaps. I wonder if they, for the same reason as the trapper, might sometimes rip off the head mid air while returning to their nest?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Very interesting.
    I see more clearly now why you suspect a bird of prey. A Snowy Owl perhaps. I wonder if they, for the same reason as the trapper, might sometimes rip off the head mid air while returning to their nest?
    I don't eat rabbit head either! yuk
    WALK ON

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++