WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Default Whats on your "Bucket List"

I saw an ad tonight for a new film starring Jack Nicholson entitled "The Bucket List". Essentially the plot revolves around two terminally ill men doing the things they had always dreamed about doing before they "kicked the bucket".

I've seen two young men die this year, both of pancreatic cancer. Niether had a clue that 2006 was the last Christmas they'd spend with their families. I also know a special young lady who is currently battling breast cancer. She's 39 and her son is 5. She's doing well and I know her only wish is to see her little boy grow up.

My dad always wanted to fish for northern pike in Canada. Other than TV guide, the only thing he ever read was fishing magazines. He never went on that trip.

With the new year coming, I think I'll start working on my list. I was able to check one off this year, my daughter finally graduated from college with her nursing degree.

Anyway, whats on your "bucket List"? What are the places, things and experiences you want to see, do and have before you "kick the bucket"?

1. AT
    2. PCT
    3. Alaskan RV trip
    4. Living in as many cool places in my RV as time will allow.

Hey Chin, I'm planning on a Alaska RV trip right after TM in April. Come by Stecoah Gap the first two weeks of April. Three RV in our little caravan so far.............

Well to me i done and seen all going to. There just one thing like to see is a real ufo close up.

A good topic! Using death as your advisor can quickly get to the bottom line of what's really important.

I can honestly say I could go tonight with few regrets. I've had a super life, and have laughed and loved and tasted freedom, and also submitted willingly to the yoke of a task I wanted to undertake. The only regrets have been unkindnesses, not missed experiences.

That said, if I have a few years remaining, I'd love to see Alaska, Corsica, the Pyranees, take a trip down what remains of the river through the Grand Canyon, see South America, Scotland, Australia, Thailand, walk across Ireland, horse-pack again in the Bob Marshall, walk in the Swiss Alps in summertime ("the hills are alive..."), walk out west and visit the national parks...
    ;-)

I've been a Hospice volunteer, blessed with the privilege of sitting with folks as they thundered down to their Bottom Line. Pretty much what they regretted was hurting people. Even unfulfilled dreams faded before the demands of the heart. Be kind. Hurry!
    ;-)
    Last edited by Jan LiteShoe; 12-24-2007 at 00:17. Reason: fergittin'
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Hike the Whites...it's on the agenda for 2008.

1. AT
    2. PCT
    3. CDT
    4. Salmon Fish in Alaska
    5. Climb Denali

I want to see Mt. Everest. Not climb it, but at least see it from base camp.

go into space so i can take a picture of earth from there
    be able to make a difference in someone's life
    climb mt. mckinley (denali)

we all have a choice. we can either get busy living or get busy dying. personally i'm trying to live.

Images

Fish in Alaska and visit Gimmelwald, Swizterland.

Images

I've got a list:

I'd like to see my four children successfully settle into adult life - they are 15, 17, 19, 21 right now.

I'd like to be blessed with a few grandchildren.

I'd like to play the Old Course at St. Andrews

I'd like to see Italy, Greece, Israel, Egypt, and Russia - Archaeology and Art mostly.

I'd like to give thru-hiking another shot(abandoned an attempt in 1976), but realistically, it may not be for me. We'll see. I will try again in 2010 with my daughter and see how far I/we get. At worst it'll be a great long section hike. When I was younger, I always wanted to be an elite mountaineer - climb Everest, do the seven summits, etc, but twice came down with pretty severe AMS just above 4000 meters, and once with HAPE(at 5500 meters). Pretty much the end of aspiring to do that. Hiking lower mountains will simply have to do for this lifetime.

Quite a lot to ask for.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'd like to play the Old Course at St. Andrews
    I played it and I would rather play anywhere else in Scotland. It is right on the North Sea and conditions are usually brutal (cold, windy, rainy). The fairways are concrete, the rough is impossible, and the greens are like putting on glass. If you do go, don't get into a pot bunker. The only way out is with an overhand toss.

Personally, my number one pick of wish to play courses is Augusta National.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'd like to be blessed with a few grandchildren.
    Consider yourself lucky. I'll have to settle for nieces and nephews.

I'd like to see Italy, Greece, Israel, Egypt, and Russia - Archaeology and Art mostly.
    I've got three out five from that list.

I'd like to give thru-hiking another shot
    Or failing that, just pick up where you left off...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I played it and I would rather play anywhere else in Scotland. It is right on the North Sea and conditions are usually brutal (cold, windy, rainy). The fairways are concrete, the rough is impossible, and the greens are like putting on glass. If you do go, don't get into a pot bunker. The only way out is with an overhand toss.

Personally, my number one pick of wish to play courses is Augusta National.
    I there's nay wind and rain, there's nay golf. I almost think that if the weather wasn't nasty while playing the Old Course that somehow I wouldn't be getting the true experience.

Getting on The National is really difficult even if you're connected to
    VIP's. My friend played it once as the guest of one of the old money southern members. Found out after the fact they could have used a fourth. Aaaarrrrrggghhh! I've played a lot of other famous courses(Pine Valley, Spyglass, Pebble, Pinehurst) but I agree with you on your choice. I don't even list it as a desire though 'cause it's basically just not going to happen.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. I'll have to settle for nieces and nephews.
    I do!

I've got three out five from that list.
    I somhow missed that whole part of the world while travelling on business years ago. Got to some of the others while commissioning chem process facilities: France and Holland, Romania and East Germany prior to the collapse of the Soviet Bloc. Columbia and Mexico on coffee plants.

Or failing that, just pick up where you left off...
    A definite possibility. We are looking at several alternate itineraries as well.

Do more Orphange work.
    Hike Lake Clark Alaska...coming soon.
    Hike Lake Biaikal Russia.

I would like to complete the entire AT, openly admiring,appreciating,enjoying the beauty wonders and spirituality that those who have gone before me speak of. Forgive others totaly, accept without reservation, give unconditional love and be an example of compassion to those I am fortunate enough to meet along lifes way. When meeting my maker, hope that I have at least met his minimum standards.
    taking the high roads and the low roads

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

1. Complete the AT (slated for September 2013 atop Katahdin)
    2. Work on an AT trail crew for a few weeks to give back a little
    3. Hike a bunch of other mid-length trails in successive years (JMT, Wonderland, Tahoe Rim, Coho)
    4. Visit New Zealand, Florence, Scotland, BWI
    5. Attend a men's World Cup match
    6. Form a men's quartet and perform again
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

1. Get married and have a family
    2. Thru hike

not necessarily in that order. Living is something you do now or never.

Images

I've always got a list. I try to knock off at least one thing a year. When I do one, I move on to the next, and rough out plans for the next two or three.

Foreign hikes: 1) Above the Artic Circle in Europe (planned for 2008) 2) Hike to Everest Base Camp (2010?)

US: 1) PCT 2) CDT 3) Grand Canyon 4) See other places too numerous to mention--long list

Spend more time skiing.
    Last edited by Marta; 12-24-2007 at 07:00.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++