WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question What to tell boss??

I have a problem...I have everything ready to go (gear wise) mostly travel logistics left. I am anxiously waiting to hit the trail. I really want to head out in 08 but I don't know what to tell my boss so that I can return after my hike. Oh by the way I really enjoy the job. Any thoughts???

Bigboots

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

you're goin' hikin' and will return when you're finished, if the boss doesn't go for it you don't wanna work there. then promptly fire your boss and go hikin'! simple

Here's a start...

Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 12-26-2007 at 21:37. Reason: Language

Take this job and shove it, these boots were made for walkin'

Images

Just tell your boss you're going to take a hike. If he/she dosen't like it, tell him/her to take a hike

I think I'll avoid using F*** but you guys are probably on the right track, just go and see what happens. I plan on sitting down the first week of the new year with him.
    These are pretty entertaining, any others

Bigboots

Explain how your work will get done when you are not there.

I'd mention that since you are going to do the trail "sometime" in your life, doing it now would be better for both you and the company than say 5 years from now when your responsibilities would be greater.

FWIW, I asked for a leave of absence and it was denied as I was quote unquote too important to be gone. So I quit and when I got back my old job was offered back to me. I turned them down.

Images

FWIW, I told my boss I was going to quit in order to hike. I told him I liked the job, but the hike was something I'd been wanting to do for a long time, so I was reluctantly leaving the job.

He gave me a leave of absence.

If you really like the job, and are good at it, there is a strong possiblity they'll want you back later.

Good luck!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

As an employer I would wish you well on the hike and do what I could to make it work from my end. If your hike detracts from my business I gotta let you go, nothing personal.

When's your start date? It would be nice if you gave him as much of a head's-up as possible.

Images

- Explain what you want to do.
    - Let them know your looking for 6 months off, no pay.
    - Let them know that you like the job and would like to keep working after you get back.
    - Sit back and wait.

*** I did this with my job and they said it looks like they cant do 6 months off, so I am going hiking.

*** It'll be a little rough when I get back - finding a job and all - but well worth it. My last day at work will be Feb 15 - I start the trail on March 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    As an employer I would wish you well on the hike and do what I could to make it work from my end. If your hike detracts from my business I gotta let you go, nothing personal.
    Sounds reasonable. I think after a few years of being a good employee that's all one can ask.

I asked for a leave of absence, and was told, "no can do." The job itself was so-so. (Very Dilbert-like setting, very chintzy management.) Getting a "no" was liberating in a way. When I got around to looking for work again it was near the end of '90 and the USA was in a recession. Took me about three months to find a new job. No big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    When's your start date? It would be nice if you gave him as much of a head's-up as possible.
    Late March/Early April.

Bigboots

If you feel comfortable and don't necessarily need the two weeks pay, I'd give your boss 1 months notice, just in case they fire you outright.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If you feel comfortable and don't necessarily need the two weeks pay, I'd give your boss 1 months notice, just in case they fire you outright.

I have not heard of a boss doing this, not sayn they wouldnt but if he waits that late - they might not be able to find someone to cover him - that could cost him the 6 months off.

Also, if he wants to use them as a refrence later - they could hold it against him for waiting so long when since he knew it was going to happen a long time ago.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't like to screw people over like that (It's just not how I am). I don't think they will/can fire me on the spot. I have a lot of work and the newbee under me (who would most likely cover/replace me would need at least a month to get up to speed on everything. And like wrongway said, if they don't hire me back (for whatever reason) I would still like them as a refrence.

Bigboots

Quote Originally Posted by bigboots View Post
    I don't like to screw people over like that (It's just not how I am). I don't think they will/can fire me on the spot. I have a lot of work and the newbee under me (who would most likely cover/replace me would need at least a month to get up to speed on everything. And like wrongway said, if they don't hire me back (for whatever reason) I would still like them as a refrence.

Bigboots
    Employers don't want a hassle. If you are honest with them I seriously doubt that they would fire you "on the spot". That would be silly.

There are times that you fire someone immediately, AND change the locks. This is NOT the case.

There is no need for a confrontation.

Ask politely...if he says yes, then plan your hike.
    If he says no...call and say goodbye from Springer.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    If he says no...call and say goodbye from Springer.
    Well thats an idea, and a surefire way not to get rehired or a good refrence. Maybe the ATC is looking for a new employee???

Bigboots

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++