WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Black Flies?

are these similar to the fly-like insects in minnesota that leave softball sized swollen bites? I had an EVIL portage once where I ran with a duluth pack to escape them.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I agree, According to a fisheries biologist i spoke with the black flies were late and fewer. He reasoned that the late heavy snowfall we had made for a late snowpack melt which kept the water temps too cold for a normal hatch.
    Hoping for the same this year!
    You must be referring to the early April storm that slammed Maine just as all the snow was melting. That was some welcome to spring, at least here in the south.

Kirby

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earthbound View Post
    are these similar to the fly-like insects in minnesota that leave softball sized swollen bites? I had an EVIL portage once where I ran with a duluth pack to escape them.
    Wait:
    Are you saying you ran with a full pack and a canoe to avoid the black flies?

I know portaging as carrying a canoe on your back, we might be operating under different uses of the word.

Kirby

Images

Probably. There are lots of closely related species of "black flies", not exactly the same genetically, but they're all EVIL. They're not very big - about the size of the letter "T" here. Some people are more allergic than others, and the bites get really swollen and ulcerated.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I think he meant chiggers, those little red buggers that dig into your skin and itch. I've never been bothered here in Maine, but used to get them in Virginia.
    I never hike in the spring or summer without plenty of Deet, the only thing I've found that will keep black flies at bay. The 20% seems to be adequate for me, and I squirt it on my hat, pack, and clothes, but try to keep it off my skin. You only forget to bring Deet once.

Actually Deet is supposed to go on your skin and you are supposed to avoid getting it on clothing and gear. Deet can badly stain cloth and will melt the paint off the plastic bottles it's stored in, among other things.

Permethrin is what is supposed to be applied to clothing (and avoided on skin).

Images

I use DEET on the clothes. Keeps them from swirling so much, and prevents crawlup. I figure my duds can be replaced, what is left of my sanity is more valuable. I try to pick older stuff to wear, it will make fleece wierd if you get alot on it. Little dab will do.

I always take my glasses off, and usually put them upwind.

Always.

Default Blackfly bites

Check out the picture of this hiker dude after being poisioned by blackfly bites! Some of you anti- bug dope SOBOs may want to bring a seeing eye dog along to help you find your way, just kidding, or am i?
    WALK ON

kirby- I ran with the duluth pack, someone else had the canoe. Never tried running with a canoe...but I can't imagine it would be very easy.

Images

kirby- I ran with the duluth pack, someone else had the canoe. Never tried running with a canoe...but I can't imagine it would be very easy.
    it's not.

Kirby

Images

Check out the picture of this hiker dude after being poisioned by blackfly bites! Some of you anti- bug dope SOBOs may want to bring a seeing eye dog along to help you find your way, just kidding, or am i?
    One of their most endearing qualities is their propensity for licking the wounds they create.
    Last edited by emerald; 12-29-2007 at 14:46.

Images

Now that is nasty. I wonder if he sprayed his face without holding his hand over his eyes. Or rubbed his eyes with DEET on his hands. I have seen people use waaay too much at one shot. Often in July.

I would think that any mudhead would know better.

What is the big deal?They are a bug that's bites...so what.You have WHAT 2 MONTHS OF IT?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    What is the big deal?They are a bug that's bites...so what.You have WHAT 2 MONTHS OF IT?
    Hmmm, what's your location again? FL
    Yeah, those lovebugs are vicious...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hmmm, what's your location again? FL
    Yeah, those lovebugs are vicious...
    FUNNY MAN.
    We got mosquitoes in the swamps that will pick U up 7 months a year.

But the red ants can be hell at times as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    FUNNY MAN.
    We got mosquitoes in the swamps that will pick U up 7 months a year.

But the red ants can be hell at times as well.
    Just havin' a little fun.

What really gets me about FL bugs though is the whole "Palmetto bug" scam. When tourists ask they are told, "Oh that? That's just a Palmetto bug." Bull****. It's a big ol' nasty FLYING ROACH.

I hate those things.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just havin' a little fun.

What really gets me about FL bugs though is the whole "Palmetto bug" scam. When tourists ask they are told, "Oh that? That's just a Palmetto bug." Bull****. It's a big ol' nasty FLYING ROACH.

I hate those things.
    It's funny but true.

Default Our other winged pests that bite

Might as well throw these guys into the mix while we are talking about biting insects in the northeast.
    Although the Black Fly is our most noted pest for a few months, the Deer fly in summer(they like it warm) is really annoying as they buzz in circles around your head usually, and will follow U for miles sometimes, unless you've got a real fast hand to smack them with .
    A slap doesn't usually kill them but if U can stun them enough, roll them between thumb and fingers for the final kill. These guys are tough buggers.
    Again, Deet, I use a 30% solution made by by BENS(in the small orange bottle), keeps them at bay.
    WALK ON

Images

At least you have a fighting chance against them as they tend to be solo attackers or at worst a pair or so. Granted you can get turned around a bit swatting at the SOB's, but at least you can knock a few of them into fly afterlife. They are persistent though. On the golf course a good stinky cigar seems to work well against both them and the smaller black flies, but a good cuban ain't the best lung fuel for climbing over hill and dale.

I sometimes take a half a dryer fabric softener sheet and put it under my hat to keep away the black flies in the spring. They don't seem to like the smell. Not sure if it repels the big flies too?

Images

I like the crunch deer flies make when you roll them. Yes, you do have to pinch them.

Always amuses me when people from away underestimate black flies.

Even if it is less than two months.

Kind of like the time I went roaring into Collier State Park in FL. The entrance sign recommended bug spray. No need. I'm rough and tough and from Maine.

Whoops.

Images

The problem with biting bugs is that they make it hard easy to hurt yourself. You don't take regular breaks, not watching for blisters, losing concentration on the trail. Around here, deet works inefficiently. Sitting in one place draws a cloud 'skeeters looking for any opening.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++