WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Default Need help to Resize my Photos

I'm sure this is very simple, but I'm just not that computer savy.

I want to put my photos in the Whiteblaze Gallery and have followed the uploading procedure only to get the message that file size is too large. The photos I've saved from my camera to my computer are about 3MB in size and I know there must be a simple way to resize them so they will be accepted by the WB server.

Can someone explain this procedure in simple terms?

Images
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post

I want to put my photos in the Whiteblaze Gallery and have followed the uploading procedure only to get the message that file size is too large. The photos I've saved from my camera to my computer are about 3MB in size and I know there must be a simple way to resize them so they will be accepted by the WB server.

Find the the current dimensions of your photos by right clicking to see the properties of length and width. Change length and width to no more than 2560 x 1920 using whatever photo editor you have.

Then upload as per the instructions.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

A great (and free) program for pictures is irfanview. You can also resize them and it will maintain proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Change length and width to no more than 2560 x 1920 using whatever photo editor you have.
    That's still pretty large. Most monitors are set for much smaller dimensions than that... and displayable image area in most browsers is smaller still. I'd recommend something around 800 x 600. But hey, if ATTroll isn't complaining about disk space or bandwidth, knock yourself out!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

You can use Micro$oft Paint for a simple resize too. It is included in the MS operating systems.

Images

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Image resizer works as a right click function 3 size options available
    See ya when I get there.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post

=============================================

Download "Picasa" from Google (free) and use it to resize your shots.

http://picasa.google.com/

Fast and simple. Once you pull a photo into Picassa you just click the "Export" button at the bottom of the screen and choose the final size you want. For website uploads I typically downsize my orginal shots to the 800 pixel range.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Besides the good programs already mentioned go to www.download.com for a ton of shareware and freeware programs for photography and just about anything else.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

I was having the issue too and then one of the fellows i was hiking with told me that if I upload them to my TJ account first they will get sized there. I then open then in TJ save that as a sized version of the pic and upload that to WB. works fine and saves me the hassle of doing it in the photo editing program that I have. I know someone will say this is an ass backwards way to do it but then again so am I.

Images

If you are using a Mac the Shackle widget is a very quick and easy way of resizing photos too

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I was having the issue too and then one of the fellows i was hiking with told me that if I upload them to my TJ account first they will get sized there. I then open then in TJ save that as a sized version of the pic and upload that to WB. works fine and saves me the hassle of doing it in the photo editing program that I have. I know someone will say this is an ass backwards way to do it but then again so am I.
    Whoever told you that was jerking your chain. This method is nasty, lazy and slow, given that digicam images can be several megabytes each (even in JPG format.) It sucks bandwidth and server storage space needlessly. Properly sized for the screen, your images will upload many times fast. It's not that hard to do it right, folks.

Images

Hey turtle boy it works fine and have been doing it for some time and if a 600 by 800 image sucks bandwidth then the issue is not from my end. Not sure what "nasty" is in this aspect but it is faster than the way that I have been resizing in the past and I post to my TJ account anyway so it is multi-taksing if that is also seen as lazy so be it. Sorry if I am not a Technophial. I prefer to spend my time doing other things.

Speaking of Photos have others experienced an issue trying to upload images in the last few days?

Sasquatch... your explanation isn't making sense. Most cameras these days produce images much larger than 600 x 800. That's the size you want to end up with after resizing. I thought you had described a process where you upload the original camera images to TJ and use TJ for the resizing. So which is it???? My apologies if I misunderstood you...

Another freeware program (that a lot of professionals use) is bdsizer.exe. It is available from photo-freeware.net. It is currently rated #22 in number of downloads. Very easy to use. Even has a batch mode.
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Images

On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account. TJ sizes the images down to 600 x 800. I then take these smaller images and can upload them to sites that need the smaller image like WB. Sorry if you thought it was the other way around. The other camera that I use at times takes even larger images and can save them in a raw data format that really is a large file.

On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account. TJ sizes the images down to 600 x 800. I then take these smaller images and can upload them to sites that need the smaller image like WB. Sorry if you thought it was the other way around. The other camera that I use at times takes even larger images and can save them in a raw data format that really is a large file.
    Yeah, so what I'm questioning is the initial uploading of the 2592 x 1944 image to TJ. That's gotta be at least a megabyte or two per image, if you're using a decent JPG setting. The 600x800 image starts out 1/10 the size. Its equivalent JPG will be 150 KBytes or so, tops.

Images

But the image when it is uploaded to TJ is converted to the 600 x 800. It does not upload as the full sized image.

But the image when it is uploaded to TJ is converted to the 600 x 800. It does not upload as the full sized image.
    Well, what the heck did you mean by this, then:

On the camera that I tend to use the most the original image is 2592 x 1944. I take this full size image and upload it to my TJ account.
    ????? We seem to have a failure to communicate.

Images

I don't resize before I upload it to the TJ account TJ does it in the process of uploading.

Do you have a TJ account? If so take a big file and upload it. You will see that it resizes the image in the process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++