WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RIP Stover Creek Shelter

The old Stover Creek Shelter has been demolished. The only thing left standing is the old picnic table.

I met a GATC member last winter in the area who told me that they were thinking of relocating the shelter to Amicalola State Park as an exhibit of what the old shelters used to look like. Obviously, that didn't happen. This shelter has been in 2 different locations over the years, its a shame that it wasn't moved a 3rd time instead of being destroyed.

As the shelter is maybe a half mile tops from the new shelter, it could have been used as an overflow shelter for thru's rather than being destroyed.

destroy 'em all

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The old Stover Creek Shelter has been demolished. The only thing left standing is the old picnic table.

I met a GATC member last winter in the area who told me that they were thinking of relocating the shelter to Amicalola State Park as an exhibit of what the old shelters used to look like. Obviously, that didn't happen. This shelter has been in 2 different locations over the years, its a shame that it wasn't moved a 3rd time instead of being destroyed.

As the shelter is maybe a half mile tops from the new shelter, it could have been used as an overflow shelter for thru's rather than being destroyed.
    If one had a talent toward woodworking, it'd be kinda neat to try to get some of the wood from the old shelter and try to make something from it. A sort of memorial of some type if you will.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Where is the new shelter being built?

I guess folks will continue to camp at the old shelter location, which might make more of an impact to the area.

destroy 'em all
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Where is the new shelter being built?

I guess folks will continue to camp at the old shelter location, which might make more of an impact to the area.

The shelter was built last spring and the trail was relocated. Nightwalker drew a map which looks real accurate to me:

http://www.whit<br /> eblaze.net/fo...ge.php?i=17398

So is the trail rerouted this year as well as the map indicates? I was wondering how far it was from Springer compared to the old shelter.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The old Stover Creek Shelter has been demolished. The only thing left standing is the old picnic table...
    A few questions:
    1. From your link it looks like the shelter is about 1/4 mile off the AT, but with a loop-trail, true?
    2. If they left the picnic table, does this mean the old shelter site is now a campsite?
    3. How's the water situation at the new shelter?

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

It's still 2.5 miles from Springer give or take a feww hundred feet or so.

Instead of making a left, you veer right up the hill about 20 yards and there's the new one. A great shelter. Maybe some firewood might be had of the old shelter. Thats what they did with the Hawk Mountain Shelter roof. Stacked it between two trees.

SD

So is the trail rerouted this year as well as the map indicates? I was wondering how far it was from Springer compared to the old shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    A few questions:
    1. From your link it looks like the shelter is about 1/4 mile off the AT, but with a loop-trail, true?
    2. If they left the picnic table, does this mean the old shelter site is now a campsite?
    3. How's the water situation at the new shelter?
    1. One blue blaze trail to the shelter, not a loop.

2. The old AT is closed. Not going to be a campsite as the purpose (I think) was to let the area "recover." The remains of the old shelter are still there. I imagine they will take away the picnic table when the shelter remains are removed.

3. Still no water at the new shelter. Not a problem, though, as you cross a stream on the AT both NOBO and SOBO just before you get to the blue blazed trail to the shelter.

I was wondering how far it was from Springer compared to the old shelter.
    Its a bit longer, but not enough to notice. Maybe a tenth of mile or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    Maybe some firewood might be had of the old shelter. Thats what they did with the Hawk Mountain Shelter roof. Stacked it between two trees.

SD
    With the current fire ban I don't think they'll do that.

Any photos of the new shelter, or is it being built? I'm looking for a project to help with in that area before spring.
    ad astra per aspera

Any photos of the new shelter, or is it being built? I'm looking for a project to help with in that area before spring.
    Nitewalker has some pics in his gallery
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=1641

Images

Totally unecessary shelter. The 7 miles to Hawk are easy. Lots of camping in between
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Totally unecessary shelter. The 7 miles to Hawk are easy. Lots of camping in between
    That's a good point. Too late the money's alread spent.

Lightbulb Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    destroy 'em all
    Only with some anti-shelter bigots tied up inside first. Like burning the American flag should arguably only be legal if wrapped around the flag-burning nut.

Springer to Hawk is easy, agreed. But don't look at only through the eyes of a thru hiker. When my kids were younger we did plenty of hikes US42 to Springer and back, US42 to Stover and back, Hickory Flatts to Long Creek Falls and back, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Only with some anti-shelter bigots tied up inside first. Like burning the American flag should arguably only be legal if wrapped around the flag-burning nut.
    I'm amazed at how you can be utterly brilliant in one sentence and utterly stupid in the next. And this is not the first time. You have talent, kid.

Images

I think it's more a matter of trying to distribute people over a larger area, especially during the spring rush. Sort of like that area in Vermont where there are shelters about every three miles...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++