WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Default Trail maintaining down south

I have determined that I would like to take a half day to a full day off down south to do some trail maintenance, an area that is extremely impacted by thru hikers. If anyone has any information on who to contact about maintaining trips as I get closer to my departure date(March 1st) to find out about a work trip I could attend.

Thanks,
    Kirby

Images

Not sure you'll find too many that time of year...still a tad too cool.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Hard Core Trail Maintenance right after trail days is a good option...

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Hard Core Trail Maintenance right after trail days is a good option...
    not really. way too many people

Journal Entries
    Images

Get to Kincora Hostel in Hampton, TN on a Monday. We usually have maintenance outings on Tuesdays and Bob will bring any hikers who want to help.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Yes, when you get to Hampton TN just stay at Bob's place and tell him you want to do trail maintenance. You will get your chance and work with one of the best.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

While not the most impacted area, Hampton TN is certainly a good choice. Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    While not the most impacted area, Hampton TN is certainly a good choice. Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.
    Why do you say that Hardcore is a Billville event? I've participated for five years and I sure don't see where you get that. It is mostly thru's and former hikers coming back to help out. There are a few Billvillians present but they have to stay under the porch.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Hardcore is like Billville?

I don't know about that. I've worked a couple of hardcores and I don't think it is like Bilville at all. Bob doesn't allow alchohol for one thing. There is also no bonfires or tent city. People get up early in the morning and work at Hardcore - not sleep off hangovers.

Hardcore basically starts at a post office with a ride link up then drive straight to a work site and work until dinner - then a group meal which is laid back. After dinner everyone takes care of their own lodging - some stay at Bremmer, some at Kincora, some at Laurel Falls, and others where ever else they go. Then the next morning an early A.M. and drive back out to finish the job. About 100 folks building many yards of trail at the same time or working on side projects like bridges and such. At the end of the second day there is a big meal put on by a couple of regulars like Chef Paul and Jack Tarlin - but again no drinking or drum circles. At the end of the dinner people go their own ways - some wait around until the following morning and head back to the trail.

While I find Trail Days to be a bit of a party and not that much fun, Hardcore is a good work experience and much more laid back when it comes to visiting with people.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I do not have any intentions of attending Trail Days, it does not really appeal to me, and if everything goes to plan I will be near Harper's Ferry by that point. I imagine once I hit the summer months here in the north I will be easily able to do trail work as well.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I do not have any intentions of attending Trail Days, it does not really appeal to me, and if everything goes to plan I will be near Harper's Ferry by that point. I imagine once I hit the summer months here in the north I will be easily able to do trail work as well.

Kirby
    The Gathering is 10 times better than Trails Days

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I am going to try and go to that next year I think. I might try to get down to the PA-Ruck at the end of January, if I can make the finances work. Trail Days, from what I have read other people say on the site, has shifted from a hiker gathering, focused on hiking, to a complete 3 day party, but maybe I am being mislead.

Kirby

Kirby, I thought you were going as part of a paid group with a set schedule. Did that change?

The GATC has their schedule of maintenance trips posted, but they don't mesh with your start date. Perhaps the other clubs have schedules posted as well.

Keep in mind that at some point you will run into someone doing maintenance work on their section. Never known one to turn down unexpected help.

The suggestion to hit Kincora on a Monday is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I am going to try and go to that next year I think. I might try to get down to the PA-Ruck at the end of January, if I can make the finances work. Trail Days, from what I have read other people say on the site, has shifted from a hiker gathering, focused on hiking, to a complete 3 day party, but maybe I am being mislead.

Kirby
    Trail Days has very little to do with trails and hiking. big ass party is all

As the weather gets warmer, you'll see trail maintainers on the trail nearly every weekend. All you have to do is drop your pack and go to work.

Just Jim

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Kirby, I thought you were going as part of a paid group with a set schedule. Did that change?

The GATC has their schedule of maintenance trips posted, but they don't mesh with your start date. Perhaps the other clubs have schedules posted as well.

Keep in mind that at some point you will run into someone doing maintenance work on their section. Never known one to turn down unexpected help.

The suggestion to hit Kincora on a Monday is a good one.
    Yes I am going with a group. but I am going to operate independently for planning purposes. Set schedule on day 1? I guess, but Rock has suggested that itineraries would make good fuel for a fire on night one. I need to operate independently because I am not stopping my hike because the group falls after a few weeks.

I will try to hit Kincora on a Monday if possible. I will contact the southern trail clubs over the next couple of weeks. FD recommended I contact Dances With Mice, which I will do sometime soon.

The party scene does not appeal to me, I don't drink or do drugs, so there goes that. (Not suggesting that everyone at Trail Days drinks).

Kirby

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Dino stands corrected regarding association between Billville and Hardcore. I know a lot of hard work gets completed there but I was told you had to be a Billvillian to get to go? Under the porch, eh?

Agree that Trail Days is just a big party these days. Likely won't bother with it this year - I wish we could put together a Ruck within easy driving distance of Damacus for the hikers that weekend. I'd like to go in to see the vendors, but I could certainly live without the tent city, drum circle and Billville.

Images

Thr drum circle is another reason I do not want to attend, I am not fond of any type of drum circles. I can not begin to imagine what a hiker drum circle is like.

Kirby

Have to agree with Wolf about Hardcore - more of Billville event than a maintenance outing. There are better opportunities for service.
    Billville has nothing to do with Hardcore. Perhaps your confusion comes from the fact that so many Billvillians volunteer to do trail work?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Except for the fire, which totally sucks ass, what with the storytelling and all.

Agree that Trail Days is just a big party these days. Likely won't bother with it this year - I wish we could put together a Ruck within easy driving distance of Damacus for the hikers that weekend. I'd like to go in to see the vendors, but I could certainly live without the tent city, drum circle and Billville.
    Yeah, remember the good old days? When no one drank in Damascus, and Trail Days was a three day long work trip?

What's with all of the hate for Billville? It's usually one of the quietest places in the campground.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post

Except for the fire, which totally sucks ass, what with the storytelling and all.
    The Gathering 08 will have a separate fire for those wanting to socialize. The singing weenies can go to billville's fire

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++