WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Black Diamond Tents....

Just wondering what everyones opinions were on these tents. I'm looking for either a decently sized one person or a small two person tent and obviously weight is definetly a big issue.... I would definetly like to go as light as possible. I seen the hi-light and the firstlight tent, 2 person, 2lb 10oz.. didnt seem to bad to me. I was looking at the 'One Shot' single person tent but I seen a picture of a guy sitting inside of it and it seemed really small. I think a ultralight two person will be better for me... not sure though. Anyone have any experience with these tents. Any comments/help is appreciated. thanks guys.

El Sordo
    Images

I've been using BD tents for years and am very satisfied with them. I was using the MegaMid, but when they came out with the same tent in SylNylon I switched to it. Mega lite or mid lite, something like that. I used to backpack with my dog, so the absence of a floor was a plus. I carry a strip of tyvek for a ground cloth and like being able to cook in my tent when it's raining without worrying about the floor. The have an even lighter tent which I would have bought had I known about it. The Mid Lite has a strap that you can use to connect to hiking poles for the center tent pole and save the weight and bulk of a tent pole if you wish.

Thumbs up

I used a couple of Black Diamond tents many years ago. Can't remember what model they were, but they were made very well, and I never had any problem with them that could be caused by poor design or manufacture.

At that time, they were comparable in size, weight, and quality to any of the top of the line tents, and generally cost a little less.

I haven't used a BD in a long time, but based on past experience, I'd sure give them a close look.

Images

i Use My Black Dimond Tent All The Time!! It Was A Little Priciey But I Will Use It For Many Years To Come. Its The Firstlight. It's Light,freestanding,has Cross Ventilation, You Can Sit Up In It Pretty Comfortably. I Used It When I Thru-ed The Long Trail In Vermont And Am Planning On Useing It For My At Thru.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    I've been using BD tents for years and am very satisfied with them. I was using the MegaMid, but when they came out with the same tent in SylNylon I switched to it. Mega lite or mid lite, something like that. I used to backpack with my dog, so the absence of a floor was a plus. I carry a strip of tyvek for a ground cloth and like being able to cook in my tent when it's raining without worrying about the floor. The have an even lighter tent which I would have bought had I known about it. The Mid Lite has a strap that you can use to connect to hiking poles for the center tent pole and save the weight and bulk of a tent pole if you wish.
    I thought about getting a Megalite to take my dog. I also thought about putting a stove jack in it and getting a Ti Goat or Kifaru stove.

Geezer

I bought a Black Diamond tent about 20 years ago. Forget the model, but it has been a workhorse. Too heavy for long backpacking trips, but okay for weekends. Also used it as an extra tent when car camping for my son, used it with boy scouts, and as a winter backpacking tent. Never had a more durable or better constructed tent
    Frosty

The Black Diamond tents that 88BlueGT has mentioned are part of the Superlight series. They are fully enclosed, freestanding and made with Epic fabric. There is nothing in common between those and the floorless, pyramid shaped,silnylon Mid series

El Sordo
    Images

My mistake then. I interpreted the question as a generic one on BD tents.

From other boards,6hr rain you will wet out..due to the epic.Great tent otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The Black Diamond tents that 88BlueGT has mentioned are part of the Superlight series. They are fully enclosed, freestanding and made with Epic fabric. There is nothing in common between those and the floorless, pyramid shaped,silnylon Mid series
    You are correct... but I'm happy to hear everyones experience. In will give me an idea of their reputation and the quality of their products. Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    From other boards,6hr rain you will wet out..due to the epic.Great tent otherwise.
    Sorry, but can you be specific by "wet out"?

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Sorry, but can you be specific by "wet out"?
    Sorry,the epic will start leaking.

like drip every twenty minutes or badly leaking?

Some say drip others say leaked badly and others not a problem at all.I would buy from rei so you can return it if not happy.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    My mistake then. I interpreted the question as a generic one on BD tents.
    No mistake that I can see, Gene. The thread topic is Black Diamond Tents, no?
    Frosty

88BlueGt
    Epic is a very controversial tent material. You will find contradictory comments about it, always related to the "waterproofness" of the material . Often a time period is mentioned (5-7-9 hours...) but I think that it has more to do with the intensity and the amount or rain rather than a time exposure. My Lighthouse has remained dry after more than 9 hours of steady rain but last week under a particularly heavy downpour, I had puddles (1/2 oz each ?) on the floor pretty much directly under the poles after less than 1 hour. (the pressure of the poles causes the material to wet out quicker than in other areas). I dried the floor and after that it continued to rain (with lesser intensity) all night and in the morning the floor was dry. In fact as it stopped raining the water was beading up and brushing that off it felt dry underneath.
    I was testing the "waterprooffness" of another tent at the time (we have water restrictions....)

Frosty
    I do understand the need to be nice and polite, however...
    The thread starts with Black Diamond tents....., but if you just pay a little attention to the text, it is clear that the question was related to the Superlight series. One of the great fallacies in retail (and the manufacturers take advantage of that) is to use a product to judge another in the same brand. Very rarely this holds true. With outdoor products Warmlite is one of the few exception because they really make one type of shelter in different sizes. Apart from that, particularly large brands (like BD) offer a huge range of products that often start from the "affordable" all the way to the "best we can make", in most cases not comparable. The same applies when you discuss different ranges. There is little point in judging the performance of a Fitzroy by quoting the wetting out of a Firstlight.
    Franco

Just wondering what everyones opinions were on these tents. I'm looking for either a decently sized one person or a small two person tent and obviously weight is definetly a big issue.... I would definetly like to go as light as possible. I seen the hi-light and the firstlight tent, 2 person, 2lb 10oz.. didnt seem to bad to me. I was looking at the 'One Shot' single person tent but I seen a picture of a guy sitting inside of it and it seemed really small. I think a ultralight two person will be better for me... not sure though. Anyone have any experience with these tents. Any comments/help is appreciated. thanks guys.
    IMO, which is not expert, is that BDs are too expensive and many are single-walled, which I don't like because of the condensation issue. I've never owned one, but I have looked at them and others when shopping for my tent. I finally got a Kelty for $100 and have many miles on it and many more left. It's not the lightest tent nor the "hippest", like the more common big names, but it was cheap.
    I'm looking for a replacement tent, not because my tent is worn-out, but I just want something with less walls more netting. That is why I like the Hubba, but I just don't get why they are so expensive. I'm also looking at hammocks...
    Moral of the story: Don't spend too much on your first tent, use it as a learning experience. They're all good enough for sleeping in and are pretty rugged, besides if you tear it, at least now you have a reason to use all that duct tape on your hiking pole.

Good thread.

Was thinking of the firstlight for summer. Not sold on it yet due to the price, but have the Bibler I-tent that the firstlight is based on and that thing is bombproof.

Just look at the SMD DUO.3lb packed with cf poles and stakes.Loads of room for pack,and even help others in need.No need to spend more$.

I have one and it's the best i ever owned ,other than for # that would be my M.L.D C.F. MONK.

Images

When I tried to send my old tent back to black diamond/bibler to have the floor repaired I was told that they do not do floors anymore. So I have to retire that tent. I did get another BD tent though since I liked the first on so much. This time I got the light house.

So you better protect that floor. use a ground cloth.

Panzer

++ New Posts ++