Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best 100-mile section on PCT?

My nephew and I have done some short (35-mile) AT sections together in southern Maine. He's young and fit, but relatively inexperienced as a hiker. I'm no youngster but still capable of 15 mile days on the AT. (Well, at least between VA and PA.)

Daniel wants to do another hike together (summer '08) and I'm looking to check out the PCT. So, what would you recommend for a 100-mile, or 7-10 day section? I'm looking for maximal scenery and views, if not the toughest and steepest climbs. One or two short town stops along the way would also be nice (though not absolutely required.)

Preferably within a day's drive of San Francisco, since that's probably where we'll be flying in to. Access to trailheads by bus & shuttle would be an issue as well.

Yosemite Valley to Reds Meadow on the JMT. Hard to beat, although it is not all PCT. Most of it is though. High mountain passes, waterfalls. Half Dome, crystalline lakes. Simply incredible!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Yosemite Valley to Reds Meadow on the JMT. Hard to beat, although it is not all PCT. Most of it is though. High mountain passes, waterfalls. Half Dome, crystalline lakes. Simply incredible!
    The JMT needs passes or permits or some such, no? I seem to recall hearing something like that.

Yes, you can get a permit 24 weeks in advance, although they reserve some permits for walk ups. Don't let the permit requirement deter you! You can deal with it easily!

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rbell/johnmuir.htm

Images

If you're trying to stay relatively close to San Fran, i'd suggest checking out Tuolomne Meadows to Sonora Pass (75 miles) or Tuolomne to Tahoe (around 150 miles). I thought the section south of Sonora Pass was pretty spectacular and very scenic. The terrain north of Tuolomne in Yosemite is rather difficult with lots of ups and downs, and the bugs can be a big nuisance.

I'd also highly recommend the Tahoe to Sierra City section (100 miles). This is beautiful terrain through Granite Chief and Desolation Wilderness and much easy ridge walking. You also have a bailout/resupply point at Truckee/Poohs Corner about 60 miles into the section.

After thinking it over, I highly recommend the latter suggestion. Way less people, easy beautiful hiking and cool towns. Can't beat that. Sierra City is a funky little town-very friendly
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Thanks, guys. Keep it coming. I've done a bit of hiking out west, but nothing serious. Any special gear or skills I might need on these treks? A bear canister, I suppose... what else?

For those who've done both AT and PCT, what would you say are the key differences? Any issues with altitude? Water? Wildlife?

I liked Section P best in California - the Marble Mountain Wilderness area north of Castella. Beautiful mountains, fairly easy trail, few people. The Sierras are beautiful, but you have the issues of needing a bear canister and too many people. In Oregon the Sisters Wilderness is also a good area to hike. Gorgeous mountains and easy trail with plenty of water. But crowded.

FWIW, I've hiked a bit around Oregon and southern Washington. I was thinking more of CA... that's part of the deal with my wife for doing this trip (she'll be hanging out in Berkeley with her old friends.) I've skied around Tahoe a few times, and those mountains sure look inviting.

Section P is outstanding. From Castle Crags State Park to Etna Summit.

PS I see oso loco agrees!

It's probably best to get the Guide to Northen California. It's really a great section. IIRC, Porcupine Lake is in this section Try to arrange you hike to stay there.

Images

Main differences between the 2 trails?

PCT=much higher elevation, no shelters, less rain, better views, more gradual hiking, less people (except a few small spots), sometimes water issues.

I agree with the others, Castle Crags/Trinity Alps section is a nice one. Though I think the next section north of Etna is much better (Marble Mountain Wilderness). This section was REALLY dry last yr in late July though.

Also, this section will be a good deal north of Berkley/San Fran as it's very close to the Oregon border
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Access and travel time to the trail are going to be issues. I'm on a short leash as far as vacation time goes, and it starts with getting across the USA and back. It would be a lot easier and more practical to hike the AT in Maine, of course. But the nephew and I have both been there and done that.

As far as wildlife is concerned, here's what I found... the CDT is the best by far (it's not even close), the AT and then the PCT, which I thought was dissapointing in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Access and travel time to the trail are going to be issues. I'm on a short leash as far as vacation time goes, and it starts with getting across the USA and back. It would be a lot easier and more practical to hike the AT in Maine, of course. But the nephew and I have both been there and done that.
    It's not all that far. If you have 10 days you should have time to tavel and hike section P. The section north of Echo Lake (S Lake Tahoe) is also a good one as A Train mentioned. Desolation (permit needed) and Granite Chief Wildernesses are great.

Terrapin, look for an open jaw ticket into San Francisco and out of Reno. That might be a better option for you travel wise. Tickets like that were selling on Expedia for about $300 R/T a few weeks ago.

Terrapin, look for an open jaw ticket into San Francisco and out of Reno. That might be a better option for you travel wise. Tickets like that were selling on Expedia for about $300 R/T a few weeks ago.
    Never heard that expression, "open jaw ticket." Not sure exactly what it means. This whole idea is pretty tentative. No date set. It might not even happen. Trying to come up with a plan that will please me, my wife, and my nephew. My wife doesn't backpack, unfortunately. I know Reno is a good gateway to the Tahoe area.

Open jaw means arriving in one airport and leaving from another. Sorta like Boston to San Francisco, and Reno to Boston.

Open jaw means arriving in one airport and leaving from another. Sorta like Boston to San Francisco, and Reno to Boston.
    Atlanta to Campo, Manning Park to Atlanta.

Images

Hiking from Reds Meadow southbound will avoid most of the worst permit issues. You can get back to Reds by hiking out to the east and down to a trailhead (lots of choices). Hitch (not super hard) out to a town on US 395 (lots of them) and then catch a CREST bus back to Mammoth (where you will have left your car). For example, you could easily hike from Reds south to Dusey Basin (actually not on the PCT, but close), and then out via Bishop Pass. The trailhead is quite popular and getting a lift down to Bishop is pretty easy.

Alternatively, get on a plane out to Seattle. Arrange a lift via the PCT-L up to Snoqualmie Pass (I-90). Hike north to Stevens Pass (US2) through the Alpine Lakes wilderness. Or, hike from Stevens to Rainy Pass (WA 20) through the Glacier Peak Wilderness and North Cascades NP. Most thruhikers get hit with tons of rain when they go through WA in September, but really, this is one of the best stretches on the entire trail. It was the thing that finally convinced me to move out here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++