WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Ramps on the A T

Every year I talk with many north bound hikers who ask me what ramps is and where to find them.They grow along the trail in many places.I have put a close up picture here to help you identify them so click on these links. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=20723&c=553

If you will look behind my family you will see them growing in bunches on the bank.Just under the whiteblaze on this tree is many.This is on the AT just north of the Chunky Gal Trail.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...mageuser=12119

I'm hiking south from Kelly's Knob and just north of Addis Gap.You will see many growing on the side of the trail. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...mageuser=12119

YUM! Ramps are terrific fresh, and if you already have hikersmell already - might as well go for it! There are lots of these on the rez at Qualla Boundary too.

Thanks for posting this Ron
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Default you are very welcome smile

I hope this will help many of our AT friends to idenify them.Just a note:you can't pull them up the tops just break off.You have to put your hands in front of them,sink your fingers in the dirt about 3 inches and pull back toward the plant bringing it up out of the dirt.

Make sure it has a button like an onion.There are some plants such as a mountain lilly,helbow,and a type of indian turnip that favors a ramp but no button.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    I hope this will help many of our AT friends to idenify them.Just a note:you can't pull them up the tops just break off.You have to put your hands in front of them,sink your fingers in the dirt about 3 inches and pull back toward the plant bringing it up out of the dirt...............................ETC............ .......................

"Model T" taught me how to spot them...they ARE DEE-LISH & brighten up some bland trail food.

"Jigsaw" & will be in the "Shennies" NoBo Turks Gap to Harpers Ferry Apr 26-May 10...hope to see some you WB-ers out there!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

What are ramps?
    Hope that I will be able to hike thru just as soon as I retire.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mdgamewarden View Post
    What are ramps?
    Thanks to Ron Haven for bringing this topic up. I've enjoyed ramps for years. They are awesome and the taste is best described as a garlic and onion in one! Officially they are a wild leek. For more info and pictures check here:

http://main.nc.us/yancey/Ramps/ramps_or_wild_leek.htm

The purple color near the base of the stem sets them apart from similar looking plants. They also ALWAYS have two leaves as opposed to three with similar looking plants. If you've never had them cooked in stir fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, and anything else you like garlic/onions in, well . . . you haven't lived as they say!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mdgamewarden View Post
    What are ramps?
    We respect nature and when we dig one we pinch off the roots and bury them back in the same dirt.Hope all enjoys them.

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

I like ramps, but I only relish them them in small quantities. I'm certain others will agree.

The 1st eaten raw is always good. Before I'm done with the second, I've already had enough.

Freshly harvested ramps added to fried potatoes, stir-frys, soups or with venison add something that can't be matched. Still, I think ramps are easily overdone and overcooked too.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-01-2008 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    The 1st eaten raw is always good. Before I'm done with the second, I've already had enough.

Fresh in fried potatoes, stir-frys, soups or with venison they add something that can't be matched. Still, I think ramps are easily overdone and overcooked too.
    I like them cooked just until tender with a little white wine, which is how I learned when I was growing up. If you get it just right, I can eat tons of them.

Raw? Naw....

Jonathan

They are delicious, and have a tendency to sweat out of your body in a rather stinky way, but hiking - no problem

We respect nature and when we dig one we pinch off the roots and bury them back in the same dirt.Hope all enjoys them.
    Very important Ron
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    They are delicious, and have a tendency to sweat out of your body in a rather stinky way
    I have a friend in Silva (near Franklin, NC) who said the public schools there have a rule that any student emitting a strong odor of ramps will be sent home for the day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    They are delicious, and have a tendency to sweat out of your body in a rather stinky way, but hiking - no problem

Very important Ron
    Smile I have a great place I visit regularly near Deep Gap and Cape078 I'm sure it does work.This place I revisit they come back really full every year.I probably have taken 2 or 3 hundred hikers there and they have really got a thrill digging them.There is also different wild leaf type plants I pick called,crows foot,branch lettuce and turkey lettuce.

I chop them along with chopped ramps leaves on the ramps also.I pour hot bacon grease over it.

Images

Ever heard of seeds?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Ever heard of seeds?
    They propogate in a manner similar to garlic and onions - the bulb makes little bulbs....

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    They propogate in a manner similar to garlic and onions - the bulb makes little bulbs....
    When I first started composting, I inadvertantly started growing foot-tall plants, turned out it was potatoes, just started growing from the whole potatoes I threw in the compost.

Images

Default Vegetative propagation of ramps?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    They propagate in a manner similar to garlic and onions - the bulb makes little bulbs....
    Perhaps ramps do produce bulblets. I've never seen it, nor have I ever read anything before to indicate it's so, but I've only ever handled them in the spring.

Lilies and other plants that overwinter as bulbs are sometimes deliberately wounded to produce bulblets which are then removed at the proper time and allowed to increase in size until they reach saleable size. In some cases, this technique is faster than seed and, of course, produces plants exactly like the original.

Bulbs treated in this manner are subject to disease and rot. To prevent this from happening, sometimes they are treated with fungicides.

Default ramps

they are tasty, if you like garlic and onions, not only give you bad breath, but if you sweat the next day you can really smell them

Default Ramp Festival

There is a Ramp Festival all day the Sunday of Trail Days. It is on top of White Mountain and easy to find. There is also a contest for anyone who can eat the most ramps in a certain amount of minutes. (Sorry...cannot remember the minutes). The winner gets $100. The same man wins every year. He brings Kaeopectate to take immediately after the contest.

Wonder if one of the hikers can win that $100 this year.

Lots of great music, arts and crafts and fun.

Hummingbird

Images

Ever heard of seeds?
    I have heard of the roots turning to seed and I know in late May to early June they turn yellow and are mushy.The top dries up and this is when I have heard it said:they have turned to seed.Is this what you mean?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++