WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Cardiovascularly I was okay when I started, but none of the muscle groups and joints, etc were in shape. Nothing gets you in shape like just getting out there and hiking day in and day out. And give yourself time to build up to the regimen of long distance hiking, no matter what shape you're in. Don't push too much too soon or your knees and shins will dislike you real quick.

My best to this year's hiking class. Thinking of you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For blisters-

I ditched my gaiters and went to trail runners with good socks and I used Spenco hiking insoles (green ones).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Blisters are a bummer. Somehow I managed to avoid them during my first long AT section in 1990 -- wearing mid-weight leather boots, and pooping along at 11 miles per day. Since then, not so lucky!

ISTM, foot care during a hike is paramount. Walking with wet boots and socks will happen, and in my experience, that's when blisters are most likely to form.

Carry lots of moleskin and Gold Bond. Carry spare socks. Keep toenails clipped. When you get to camp, wash and then air out your feet. Take breaks during the day, get the weight off your feet. Dip your (bare) feet in cool streams when you get the chance.

Default running as preparation

I’m preparing for a section hike of the AT at the beginning of April, and this year my goal is to do Georgia. I’d love to thru-hike in one go, and was (and perhaps still am) planning on doing this when I retire. However, my perspective changed this year after I suffered a slipped disc. I could hardly stand, let alone carry a backpack. If I have this kind of problem now, at age 42, am I really going to be able to hike the whole AT at 65? My father, age 67, can’t walk down the street because of his back. My thinking is that it’s better to do the trail in sections now, rather than wait and not be able to do any. (Incidentally, I wonder what the success rate is for retirees on the trail? If only 10-20% of all hikers who start succeed, the percentages must be lower for older folks.)

So, my physical preparation is, in part, therapy. And yes, carrying a backpack in the mountains is a curious form of therapy for a back injury, but, well, I really want to hike the trail.

My back pain has gone, so I’m now getting in shape by running. My goal is to run for an hour over routes that have hills, and I’m not far from this now. I try to go out 3-4 times a week, although some of these runs are short. I go regardless of the weather – I want to be ready for rain, snow, and low motivation. So, at the moment, this is my AT: long runs in the dark, with a flashlight, on rural roads, with the moon and the stars above.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    In regards to blisters, here is a somewhat interesting story.

When I went through the wilderness this summer, I met a thru hiker from acorss the ponds. One morning as I was getting ready to head out for the day. He made the comment(as I was putting my sock liners on), that for the first 30 miles(to Neels gap), he was constantly getting blisters. He said at Neels Gap he purchased some sock liners, and did not have a single blister for the rest of the trip. I have also been fortunate not to get a blister in the lower back heel(where a lot of people seem to get them).

He also used the same pair of boots from Springer to Katahdin.

Kirby
    A nylon inner sock and a wool outer usually prevents blisters. Every time I've decided to skip the sock liner/dress sock (same thing, really) I've regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    I’m preparing for a section hike of the AT at the beginning of April, and this year my goal is to do Georgia...
    Running is great, but it is equally important to do weight training, not just for preparation of a hike, but for a strong body that you can get some mileage out of. There are many resistance exercises for your upper/lower back and core muscles that are important for carrying a backpack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    My back pain has gone, so I’m now getting in shape by running. My goal is to run for an hour over routes that have hills, and I’m not far from this now. I try to go out 3-4 times a week, although some of these runs are short.
    Runs will help with cardiovascular conditioning, but will leave you sore with perhaps an even worse back on the trail.

In the Marine Corps, others who could run circles around me often faltered during humps with packs. Walking, particularly in mountains on rough trail, uses surprisingly different muscles groups compared to running. Add pack weight and the whole situation can feel very different.

If you enjoy running, by all means continue. I've found it better for weight loss than walking, even with my pack. For me, excess weight is my biggest reason for occasional lower back pain. But I would recommend hiking uneven terrain with your pack as the best way to prep your body for a section hike.

I would also suggest looking at an external frame pack as it tends to transfer weight differently (different center of gravity) and many with lower back problems find them more comfortable than internal frames.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Also playing video games sharpens your hand eye coordination - so Resident Evil 4 is a big part of my prep.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Also playing video games sharpens your hand eye coordination - so Resident Evil 4 is a big part of my prep.
    What's coincidental about this statement is that, as one of the few teen-agers on this site, I play absolutely 0 video games.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I play absolutely 0 video games.

Kirby
    me either. never have, never will

Images

Didn't think I would either till my grandson was playing his WII... He bowled, golfed, played tennis and baseball, not using some silly control, but actually swinging like the sport. Cool! I loved playing golf and bowling, it was neat!

doing football stadium bleachers wearing a flak jacket (10 lb.) and a small pack with 10-20 lbs. of chain in it. easy strides, slow pace, to best mirror the action of climbing a switchback trail with a 30 lb pack. how often have i done it????
    well, it sounds good.

Flight simulator was kinda cool for a while. Haven't played it in ages, tho.

Images

The Wii ain't a bad thing given the winters up here. I don't play any of the other consoles like PS3, but Wii golf is especially fun, and a lot less pricey than a flight and tee times in FL.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Flight simulator was kinda cool for a while. Haven't played it in ages, tho.
    I got into it for a while I was learning to fly, as it's actually good instrument practice, but then FAA made my life miserable because of some old medical issues and wanted me to jump through hoops to get my certificate. It became the straw that broke the camels back. Still boot up FS occaisionally, but otherwise I'd rather play 9 on the Wii.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Alot of core body work, squats, dead lifts, crunchs, and side bends.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    How you supposed to do your 2oz cookie curls?

You a one handed gamer?

Images

I eat during cutscenes.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Always workout with weights, cycling, running, stair climbing, stretching.... Not for the trail, but for the ravage of time.
    You are only 43, just wait it gets worse

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    You are only 43, just wait it gets worse
    And worse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++