WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default glasses or contacts??

Something just occured to me, and I feel quite foolish that I hadnt thought of it before. I wear contacts. Normally, I sleep in them and dont ever take them out. However, this is bad for my eyes, I am well aware. It seems like such a pain to take extra contacts, solution, a case, and my glasses. Does anyone have any thoughts as to if I should just leave the contacts behind and wear glasses the whole time?
    Two Beers.

If your vision is real bad you will need to take glasses with you anyway (for backup). I once "lost" my glasses on a trip and was wondering how I was gonna get out. Another hiker found them for me.

I had Lasik a couple years ago and don't have to worry about it anymore.

This has been discussed before...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...light=contacts

Personally, I find it easier to just wear glasses and leave the contacts at home. Others report success with contacts. Read and decide for yourself.

thanks for the other link, I guess I shouldve looked!
    Two Beers.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacomp View Post
    thanks for the other link, I guess I shouldve looked!
    No problem. There are more than a few threads discussing this, so you may want to search for more if you don't get enough at the link provided.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I broke my glasses the first night on Springer and didn't have my prescription with me. And the office was closed the day I was in the vision center, so they couldn't fax it in.

The moral of the story - Be sure to take a copy of your prescription with you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Contacts work for me. I use extended wear. Sleep in them and change them out every 7 days or so. I take my glasses just in case and bounce box extra contacts up the trail.

If you can get some 30 day contacts, the high-permeability ones that are OK to sleep in for up to 30 days, then I'd just take them. One pair in, and one or two pair for back up. You do not need to wash and disinfect that kind, and they are very comfortable. My problem is with reading: I still need reading glasses with contacts, so don't use them at home much. I might try the contacts on the trail since reading is much less frequent out there. I feel your pain!
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

I have invested in many boxes of disposables. Easy to pack in, easy to pack out, plenty on hand if I rip one or lose one. Also take glasses for evening wear, and always take a copy of the script.

Thanks for the input. I was afraid that I was stuck in glasses, but I think I will bring 2-3 months worth of contacts, my glasses, and just go with it from there.
    Two Beers.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you wear contacts or glasses, I would recommend packing a cheap extra pair, just in case.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacomp View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was afraid that I was stuck in glasses, but I think I will bring 2-3 months worth of contacts, my glasses, and just go with it from there.
    Get a hardshell case for your glasses, and don't let the gram-weenie knuckleheads tell you differently.

I would an do go with glasses.

Contacts need more care and sterile environment. Water being somewhat scarce when hiking and it's not a real clean environment and it seems it would be a job to keep them clean so you would not get any eye irritation.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I use disposable, extended wear contacts. They are perfect for a long hike. Mine can be worn a month, but I try to take a vacation from contacts overnight midway through the month, putting them back in the next morning. At the end of the month, same thing but put in a new pair the next morning. You can do both of these during town stopovers.

Carry an extra pair, bounce box or resupply drop more as you need them. If you're Mr. Magoo-blind without the contacts, also carry a cheap pair of glasses in case you get an eye infection and can't wear the contacts for a few days.

I use the daily wear--if I don't have the Lasik done before we thru hike, I will do what I do now, in planning for our longer sections--just stock up on boxes of daily wears. If you buy them in bulk, you can get them in great prices, especially if you order them online. I use Focus Dailies, and my doc gives me this script, which is different from my everyday where, specifically to hike with.

And yes, I do take my glasses in an extra light but cushiony case, and I wrap those glasses in a bandana and put them in the case when I am carrying them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Get a hardshell case for your glasses, and don't let the gram-weenie knuckleheads tell you differently.
    Even if you use contacts, and take backup glasses, this is smart.

++ New Posts ++