WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tarptent

Default Tarptent

2 questions...

Has anyone made a tarptent using Henry Shires' plans? If so, what kind of results did you have and how satisfied were you?

Second, does anyone have plans or dimensions for the Golite Lair 2 tarp tent? I am thinking about buying the nest that hangs inside of it since I really don't want to fool with sewing the floor and netting but can do the tarp part of the setup..

Thanks for any input!

Images

Personally, I don't have the talent to sew so I bought a Squall in '04 that is absolutely my favorite shelter, but a friend of mine made one from Henry's plans and he raves about it. Can't go wrong with a tarptent .

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by awestberry View Post
    2 questions...

Has anyone made a tarptent using Henry Shires' plans? If so, what kind of results did you have and how satisfied were you?

Second, does anyone have plans or dimensions for the Golite Lair 2 tarp tent? I am thinking about buying the nest that hangs inside of it since I really don't want to fool with sewing the floor and netting but can do the tarp part of the setup..

Thanks for any input!

I did make a Tarptent from Henry Shires' plan. I was very pleased with it, except at the time I hadn't heard of sil-nylon and made it of heavier coated ripstop. I used it for a couple of trips and it worked just fine. Then my cat peed on it. When Shires began selling his Tarptents and the designs improved, I purchased one since I didn't think I wanted to try sewing with sil-nylon.

I have since sewn a few sil-nylon projects and it is tricky, but doable. I now need a two-person tent since my honey has started backpacking with me, and I am leaning towards making Shires' two-person Tarptent with sil-nylon.

Kathy

Images

I've done 2 ray-ways. Good design, simple.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I prefer the Jones II tent over the older model Shire's tarptent, but both are good designs. (photos are on pages 10-12)

++ New Posts ++