WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Major Sections Hiked in 2007

Voters
108. This poll is closed
  • Thru-hiked

4 3.70%
  • Northern Maine (north of Monson)

2 1.85%
  • Southern Maine (south of Monson)

6 5.56%
  • New Hampshire

8 7.41%
  • Vermont

17 15.74%
  • Massachusetts

15 13.89%
  • Connecticut

18 16.67%
  • New York

16 14.81%
  • New Jersey

12 11.11%
  • Northern Pennsylvania (north of Duncannon)

19 17.59%
  • Southern Pennsylvania (south of Duncannon)

18 16.67%
  • Maryland

19 17.59%
  • West Virginia

13 12.04%
  • Northern Virginia (north of Waynesboro)

14 12.96%
  • Central Virginia (between Pearisburg & Waynesboro)

14 12.96%
  • Southern Virginia (south of Pearisburg)

16 14.81%
  • Tennessee

23 21.30%
  • North Carolina/Smokys/Tennesee Border

37 34.26%
  • Georgia

34 31.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default AT Sections Hiked in 2007

Which major sections of the AT did you hike in 2007, either partially or in their entirety? Thru-hikers can save time by checking the "Thru-hiked" box.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

We did Wayah Bald to Fontana. AWESOME!!!
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Did Springer to Damascus (April/May).
    Doing Springer to Harper's Ferry this year (2008), probably start mid-March. Decided less than a month ago, so I've been dehydrating everyday to get ready.

Lehigh Gap to Kelly Knob (VA, a couple days N of Pearisburg.) Finito. Yay!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I did Franconia Notch, NH to Caratunk, ME (with, uh, a bit of yellow blazing in there). It was absolutely amazing--maybe the best 3 weeks of my life.

Sadly, I don't have any plans to get back on the AT next year, but I head north from Springer for 3 or 4 weeks as a warm up before I head out to the PCT.

Images

I only managed to get from Bland to Catawba. A new house and a son going off to college drove me off the trail sooner than I wanted.....

Come this June, I'll start in Catawba and get as far as I can get in 4 weeks. Lord willin and the creek don't rise...........
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

No place to choose 'no section' this year - this has been one hell of a year for me for so many reasons - relationship problems, kid problems, mom got really ill and then frolicked off to golden trails, Dad obviously needed a lot of my time..... I'm praying 2008 is better.

Images

Did Springer to Unicoi. I'm with Frolicking Dinosaurs, 2007 was less than good.
    Will pick back up at Unicoi this year and head north 'til I can't go anymore or I hit Katahdin!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    No place to choose 'no section' this year...
    Yeah, I was all set after recovering from an L3-L4 disc herniation last year to hike some of the Whites in late summer. Blew out the L4-L5 disc just when everything seemed better. Hoping to be able to lift and carry 30 to 35 pounds by late spring. I may have to become a UL gram weenie just to be able to ever hike again.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Conn. was good exercise. Too many people (though I didn't have any trouble with any - just a little more crowded than farther north). It's part of the trail, though, and I'd like to be able to have hiked the whole thing before I take the big sleep.
    New York and New Jersey, here I come!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default A "Ru" hiker

The joke is i am becoming a "Ru" hiker. I keep getting only Half of a state done at a time. Just really hit the AT for the first time this year in Aug. I have completed basicly half of MA, MD, CT and almost all of NY. A trip in two weeks will complete all of NY except about 8 miles.

Did Rutland,Vt to Cornwall Bridge, Ct. Hope to go from Rutland To Katahdin in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    The joke is i am becoming a "Ru" hiker. I keep getting only Half of a state done at a time. Just really hit the AT for the first time this year in Aug. I have completed basicly half of MA, MD, CT and almost all of NY. A trip in two weeks will complete all of NY except about 8 miles.
    If the state in question is Virginia, doing half is a serious accomplishment. There are an infinite number of ways to hike the length of the AT and yours will be truly your own. In a sense, a thru-hike is the least imaginative approach. Springer to Katahdin, March to August... wham bam thank you ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    best way to enjoy the AT and backpacking in general. thru-hiking the whole damn thing in one shot is WAY overrated

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, I was all set after recovering from an L3-L4 disc herniation last year to hike some of the Whites in late summer. Blew out the L4-L5 disc just when everything seemed better. Hoping to be able to lift and carry 30 to 35 pounds by late spring. I may have to become a UL gram weenie just to be able to ever hike again.
    Dear Bespeckled Scavenger,

Make whatever changes you need to to keep hiking - it beats the alternative.

Love,
    The Voice of Experience

Covered the 100 miles of Vermont from Mass to Rt. 4 as part of my Long Trail end-to-end hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Dear Bespeckled Scavenger,

Make whatever changes you need to to keep hiking - it beats the alternative.

Love,
    The Voice of Experience

Thanks o' prehistoric toe nibbling voice,

I understand you have been through quite a bit of physical trauma and rehab yourself. Kudos to you for not giving up and for getting on with life.

I have a LESI(lumbar epidural steroid injection) tomorrow a.m Hoping it cuts down some of the inflammation, radicular pain, and numbness which has subsided with the aid of time and PT since the last injury two months ago, but is still at that "always there" annoying level.

Biggest problem is now is with a history of spinal injury on multiple levels I'm probably never going to be able to lift/carry anywhere near the weight I used to - at work or play. We(me, doc, PT) are shooting for a 35 lb limit as a reasonable recovery goal over the next several months. I'm looking into lighter equipment overall and body/front packs like the ones from Aarn and Luxurylight as possibilities that might help both redistribute and get the weight on the hips most efficiently. Good news is I ultimately recovered very well in 2003 from the original L3-L4 injury and was pain free for 3+ years and hiked, skied, played golf, etc with only minor restrictions. So we are staying positive about the chances for winning this latest setback as well. Too many things at stake not to succeed: hiking, golf, skiing, etc. I'm not retiring to the full time Texas hold'em table yet.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I did Hot Springs to Erwin and Fontana south to the NOC in 2007. I did the Smokies and continued up to Hot Springs in 2006.

This year, I'm doing the NOC to Springer. I'm thinking I'll do it SOBO, but i have not decided.

The drive down to the southern parts of the trail is just getting too long!
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Images

Delaware Water Gap, PA to Big Meadows in SNP, 6wks this fall have a few little sections that i yellow blazed for various reasons here and there to go back an hit, a good excuse to visit those areas again.
    web.mac.com/thickredhair
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

it just occurred to me that since i did my section this past fall, i have more hiking miles than post again, but not by very much
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++